PDA

View Full Version : Do you use multiple UV maps for human?

erwin1978
09-26-2005, 11:51 PM
When you create the UV map and texture a human body, do you create separate maps for the head to get the most detail or do you put everything in a single map? Is it advisable to have separate UV maps?

Baker17
09-27-2005, 06:57 AM
it would depend on wether the entire body was one object...if so, then yes, you would have to have them on one map, at a hight reolution, depending on the characters final output?

erwin1978
09-27-2005, 07:15 PM
Yah I'm talking about a single object. But is it practical to have separate UV maps? If there was only one for the entire body then the body occupies most of the map even though the head requires the most detail.

Baker17
09-29-2005, 11:13 AM
you want as few parts as possible, to avoid seems. you also want to make those seems in place that arnt as noticable...under the arms by the armpit, where the leg joins the hip. but, i guess whatever works for you, just remember those seems! ooh, and if you got alot of detail, and the character will be seen close up, then crank up the resolution. :thumbsup:

madart
09-29-2005, 12:57 PM
I would make a separate map for the head, as you usually want a lot of detail in the face, more than you need for the body.

erwin1978
09-29-2005, 05:44 PM
Is there a way to select all the faces associated with a particular UV map?

madart
09-29-2005, 06:06 PM
Do you use Maya? If so, right-click in the texture editor and choose "faces", then select the faces of the UV-map. You can also select the UV's and CTRL-right-click and choose "to faces".

If you use Maya, you can then place your different UV-sets/maps in the different quadrants.

Have I understood you correctly?

If you have already assigned a material to some faces, you can right-click on the material in the Hypershade and choose "Select objects...".

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2005, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.