PDA

View Full Version : Maya 5 normal maps

rnton22
09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
yeah, I know. There's an enormous amount of information here and elsewhere, but I honestly can't find anything specifically about maya 5. I'm taking maps out of Zbrush obviously, but have no clue what to do in back in maya. Add it as a bump map? displacement map? is there a plugin for normal maps I can't find? thanks for any help

Edit: I posted it in this forum because I'm trying to do it for game design. It looks like the workflow for full character maps might be a little different than others, so it's here. Thanks again.

Tahl'eN
09-27-2005, 05:26 AM
Well, with Maya5, your best bet is to get the Nvidia CGFX shaders package. That is, IF you have an Nvidia graphics card. It's the only way to view normal maps in Maya5's viewports that I'm aware of. Otherwise, you would probably want to look into external model viewers that support normal maps. I know there are plenty of free ones, though offhand I don't know what they are.

For renders, try running the normal maps color out directly into the shader's "Normal Camera" attribute. If that doesn't work (it's been a while since I dealt with Maya 5), track down a tutorial on Zbrush Central about rendering.

Hope this helps.

rnton22
09-27-2005, 05:14 PM
great, thanks

DeadBoy
09-27-2005, 05:50 PM
What about working with 6.5? I hear you can just plug the normal map file into the bump or displacement node. will that work?

Tahl'eN
09-28-2005, 05:35 AM
It's actually even easier than that in 6.5. You just plug it into the normal camera attribute of the shader and turn on the high quality viewport. You need a powerful enough graphics card, and of course Mya 6.5.

DeadBoy
09-28-2005, 05:23 PM
My graphics card doesnt support it:sad: , but will it show up in the software render if I do it this way??

Thanks!

Tahl'eN
09-30-2005, 04:21 AM
It works in Maya7. Can't be sure about 6.5, but I assume it functions the same.

CGTalk Moderation
09-30-2005, 04:21 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.