View Full Version : 252 poly normal mapped monster

sogun
09-26-2005, 08:09 PM
Model: 252 poly Hugger
Software: Max, Zbrush, Photoshop
one 1024 diffuse map
one 1024 specular map
one 1024 normal map

Normal mapping test on really low poly model.
Originally wanted:

fewer polys, but after some messing around it got this high..
to see how a normal map behaves on an extremely blocky surface.
to examine how a baked 2D texture fits over a normal map
a nice blue-yellow hide for him but I was too far into detail coloring and failed to realize a proper re-coloring.[sigh]
512x512 maps, possibly 256x256. Laziness made them 1024x1024.
No aesthetic design here, just a bump test and an attempt to heal seams.
The texture was derived from the displace map, but it turned out that the displace didn't match the normal map, especially on the face area. After some hair pulling i converted the displace map into a normal map. It turned out however that this new normal map just magically acquired seams.. Aaargh.. Gave up at that point and pushed the thing out of the door. The original normalmap didn't have seams..Bah! :]

Hugger concept: .. how Dr. Finnstein solved the blood shortage problem
He created genetically engineered flesh with telescopic cyber weapon system, which is basically a blood-pump. Flesh is shown only here, no cyberware yet and only markers for the eerie weapons on his chest. Mouth and top of tail are body openings of a blood-sucker but converted to accept the pump-weapons. To test the creature's immune system, Dr. Heinz Finnstein surgically inserted a rusted machinery piece into it's side. The metal was smeared all over with extremely toxic industrial waste. The poisons were successfully averted by the Hugger's enhanced immune system. So Dr. Finnstein could begin growing in the weapon platform. The Huggers body contains large chambers for blood storage. He can levitate thanks to an experimental V2 AntiGrav suspensor, which also makes quick horizontal movement in all directions possible. In battle the Hugger is supposed to catch enemy soldiers very quickly and hug them hard, always crushing few bones, attaching himself onto human bodies.. Detailed battlefield engagement description is omitted this time, lest you might think it's too sick of an idea. Also i have no pictures yet how it catches and .. err.. processes humans.. But the concept is finished & ready in my head.

http://www.hardwired.hu/upload/3DF2/Hugger.jpg

GradiusCancer
09-26-2005, 08:16 PM
haha, adorable, what's your material sizes though?

sogun
09-26-2005, 08:31 PM
1024x1024. For no reason. Wanted to use 512x512 instead.

simps
09-26-2005, 08:50 PM
Lookin good. Reminds me of something from Doom 3.

Ghostscape
09-26-2005, 09:13 PM
I guess I don't understand the point of a 252 triangle model when you're taking up 8megs of vram for him?

mustan9
09-26-2005, 09:49 PM
Video cards that can handle 1k, and normal maps have high polygon count requirements.

But, man that's nice for such low poly count.

Headless
09-26-2005, 10:37 PM
It's great work, and awesome for that count, but the ratio of polys to texture res is a little off. No system that can support texture resolution that high is going to need to skimp on polys to this degree.

Still, as I say, great work and it probably made for good practice with the tools too. :thumbsup:

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 09:16 AM
hey i know what the use of this model would be, if you see mext gen pooh, i mean videos, theres a preponderence of mass armies, you could have thousands of clones of this model, alll trying to give you a hug, with no added burden on the vram.

NeOmega
10-02-2005, 08:50 AM
I would guess you can easily drop those textures to 256x256, 256 color maps, for very little loss of detail.

F3D
10-02-2005, 10:01 AM
thats hilarious :) nice work

and why are people so retarded, what if he just wants to do a 200tris model with normalmaps? not everyone go by the book, even on their spare time! live a little!

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2005, 10:01 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.