PDA

View Full Version : "cowgirl" character

simps
09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
I posted this at 3dTotal and thought I'd post it here too. This is a model I've been doing working for a mod I'm working on. It's pretty close to done. Just a few tweaks left.

simps
09-26-2005, 05:31 PM
One with her hat...

Stefander
09-26-2005, 06:09 PM
Wow, very nice work... I love it. Maybe the face isn't that cute, but it still is a beauty to look at, the way it should be. Thumbs up from me. :thumbsup: Maybe a wire to see if you can lose some polygons?

AdamAtomic
09-26-2005, 06:22 PM
She is cute, but she looks much more like a cowgirl-themed stripper than an actual cowgirl. That may be the intention here of course :D It's hard to tell in the renders but the shoulders look a bit wide to me, a little disconnected. The texture is very nice!

simps
09-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Ya she does look like a stripper now that I think about it. lol... I should mention that I modeled this to Valve's Half Life 2 biped setup. It's also 3500 polies. Heres a gray and wire frame. I'm currently looking for places to cut back. The mouth area has a lot of detail for lypsyc.

HellBoy
09-26-2005, 07:54 PM
yup yup she's good, shes really good

clean wire too

good work dude

DeadBoy
09-26-2005, 09:01 PM
Nice Job!

Texturing really sells this one- didn't see if you mentioned it, but what software was used?

The only crit I can offer is the tatoo on the small of the back- it's pretty generic. But other than that, great work!:thumbsup:

Deadboy

ZBrushed Troll
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280169

simps
09-27-2005, 12:58 AM
Thanks for the compliments. I used Max 7. I'll look for some more tattoo ideas for her back.

Headless
09-27-2005, 02:03 AM
If it's 3500 tris then you shouldn't need to reduce it for HL2. 3500 is actually at the low end of HL2 character poly counts. Of course if it's 3500 polys rather than tris then the true poly count could be anything. If you add an edit mesh modifier to the top of the stack and then do a poly count, what do you get then?

As for the character, the face is good, the textures are generally good, and just looking at the shaded view, the model looks good too. The wire looks fine, although you can't really see the wires for the face, so they may or may not be off.

Some areas to look at (in my opinion)...

1. The clothing says stipper cowgirl, hooker cowgirl, slut cowgirl, just not simply 'cowgirl'. It's like the kind of outfit you expect a girl to wear at a Hooters in Texas, or something, and there's no way any self respecting girl would wear clothing like this. I'm sure denim hot pants/cut-offs will be on sale somewhere in the world, but i'd hate to imagine the kind of person who would atually buy/wear them. The shirt is just crazy though: unless she were standing perfectly still, her boobs would stay in there for about 30 seconds. There needs to at least be more cloth under where the breasts join the body.

Personally though i'd rethink the whole outfit and go for something like this, which I think is far closer to cowgirl clothing...

http://www.beautifulmadonna.com/videostill/donttellme/009.jpg

2. I think the shoulders could perhaps be moved in a bit. It's quite common for people to make shoulders on characters a little wide because they assume the torso widens out from the hips and then the arms are attached, where really the arms blend in alot more with the torso.

It may be that i'm just misreading it because of the angle you've renderer it out at, or because the arms are raised, but they look like they might benefit from being moved in just a little bit. Reference it to say, Alyx (http://halflife.ingame.de/gfx/content/half-life2/characters/high_alyx.jpg), if needs be (or even the Madonna picture above).

Overall, forgetting the slutty outfit, it's great modelling and texturing work. Just a quick final question: did you do the eyes yourself of are they HL2 eyes? If you did them yourself then great job cause they look excellent.

TheShow
09-27-2005, 07:14 AM
Looks really nice - very soft color - reminds me of High Voltage's Sallie Mae from Leisure Suit Larry.

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 09:44 AM
i agree with the comments about the costume,

on another not you could model a bull for her to rodeo, or better idea, one of those mechanical bulls.

simps
09-27-2005, 01:18 PM
The outfit is not fully my choice, ok the shirt is :) . I did want to go with jeans originally but my team wanted shorts, like daisy duke style. She's is supposed to be a bad girl so slutty isn't necessarily bad I guess.

The Eyes and all the textures I did myself, from reference photos I got through searches and www.3d.sk (http://www.3d.sk). I did a tri count and it is in the mid 5k range so do you think I need to reduce it? The head is mesh heavy because of the hair and because it needed to be made to be facially animated, lipsynced, etc.

heres the texture layouts...

Wayne Adams
09-27-2005, 01:26 PM
all i wanna know is where is the general lee and uncle jesse....;)

Headless
09-27-2005, 08:32 PM
5k tri's is fine for HL2, assuming the character isn't going to be repeated lots. Barney is pretty close to that (he's 5,500 ish).

simps
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
Thanks headless :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 12:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.