PDA

View Full Version : cool little space ship

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 09:44 AM
I aint copyin but heres alittle space ship i got going.

its high poly for a low poly normal mapped model.

currently the low poly modwel stands at 27,000 although this is without alot of optimisation, like the ribbed pipes, cutouts, and the hatches, without these, its around the 5000 mark

the colour scheme is more appropraite in the render than the sketch.

oh yeah the sketch a bit pooh, but first experiments with tablet.

kOmoo
09-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Looks good, are you going to model a pilot, if you are the pilot should look a little cartoony.

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 10:03 AM
yeah ive been thinking aboot a pilot, probably ganna be short a fat, with dungerees, and a truckers cap/helmet hybrid.

dpizzle
09-26-2005, 03:08 PM
i'm interested in your modeling on this project, could you post more wires? possible close ups as well? i think it looks very stylized and original - i likey!
:bounce:

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 03:53 PM
unfortunatly im at work so cant send more pics till tomorrow, but will get some images of details and wires.

hope to get the UVWing, and the highpoly normal maps rendered tonight, depending on how annoying those details are to map. might even get the drawn details on the normal map done as well but that might be stretching things abit.

cheers for the interest, check it tomorrow.

Gadric
09-26-2005, 04:34 PM
very cool design, better than mine :D, now i have to work a lot harder..hehe
is that for a game, or just for fun?

greets,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 04:46 PM
i would love it to go in a game, but all the mod things i find out there at mo seem to be zombie or realisc war games, not really my cup of tea. Iam working on a RPG called Ground Zero (based on Fallout), No zombies, No RP7 6125683752 rifles in sight. so i dont have the spare time to work on another, propperly.

but if any one has a suitable engine and wants a cool space ship.......:D

our ships are similar in Fattness but not in style, i like yours alot, its got alot of stlye for half the polys of mine will keep an eye on it.

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 10:02 AM
ok up date time. i got most of the work done that i said i would, befor falling asleep slumped against my screen, going to have to clean the dribble off it.:drool: :wip:

he he

any way i managed to render out the light, and normal maps, then reconstruct the low poly, its currently down to 3,300 polys with 1024sq texture maps.

i had aproblem with maxes render to texture, it didnt seam to be antiailising, so to compensate, i rendered at double size and reduced, so i might have to re-render the normals cos there are still issues with it. probably too tired.

heres some wires of low poly.

cos its so low poly, and i have some gaps in my texture map, i might add some intersecting geometry, details, like controls in cockpit, and bits and blobs on th out side, maybe some under wing rockets.

Gadric
09-27-2005, 10:22 AM
hi, i am again ;-)
Do you still looking for a mod or something? Maybe there is a possibility to build your ship in our game..i think it would be a cool idea, because we could habe to sides (mankind vs aliens) my ship is more alienlike and yours a ship from mankind in the sixties..that would be so cool!
what do you think?

best regards,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 10:38 AM
mmmm maybe, as i said earlier, im already working on one mod, see normal mapped car thread, wouldnt have the time to work on it properly, but i would like to see it in game. if you want to have human player ship, against alien hordes..... cos you would have time to make alot more.

as it is i wouldnt have enough time to make more than one model, as i have 40hour day job(bore), freelance 3d furniture work(quiet at the moment though), and mod work as well.:scream:

Prs-Phil
09-27-2005, 11:32 AM
looking good, can't wait to see it go final. The cockpit is a bit small though ;)

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
hey the pilot would probably look a little like this

EDIT- the one one the left -EDIT

dpizzle
09-27-2005, 06:29 PM
haha that's the perfect pilot for your ship!
thank you for posting the wireframe, that modeling is top-notch in my opinion, and it's just my style as well!
can't wait for the finished product
yay!
:thumbsup:

SHEPEIRO
09-28-2005, 10:15 AM
ok damn those social occasions, got home at half ten and was too tired to do any texture creation, but whipped out me tablet and spun this Pilot concept out of it in a couple of Hours.

hope you likey.

oh yeah C
& C
W
EL
C
OM

E
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

dpizzle
09-28-2005, 02:04 PM
that is just wonderful

Prs-Phil
09-28-2005, 03:35 PM
haha cool man, I want to hide my children from him.

His croth does look a bit like he is a women though ;)

weeeeeee Post 1000

SHEPEIRO
09-28-2005, 04:18 PM
PRS he he know what you mean,

about the crotch, hes got hidden depths, he calls himself Barbera at the weekend.

SHEPEIRO
09-29-2005, 10:50 AM
little update, managed to get a bit of the extra normal mapping and colour mapping done last nite. Added some rivets and plating, damn it just realise i need to invert rivets befor normal mapping, might sharpen them a little too while im at it. not alot though as i had to sort out the bad, antialiasing, by re-rendering the baked maps.

sorted out now looks alot better me thinks.

SHEPEIRO
09-29-2005, 10:55 AM
i was playing around with the realtime shaders in max, and turning the normal mapping up a bit and added a DDS reflection map and bingo, nice metalic effect. just thought id post the effects.

Gadric
09-29-2005, 02:05 PM
wow, super cool metal effect!
I like it!

Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-30-2005, 10:10 AM
just a little update, been burning the wick at both ends and in the middle tooo much recently.

just added a little detail, some scratches, and some stuff to the cockpit.

RO
09-30-2005, 04:30 PM
wow great little ship :)

SHEPEIRO
09-30-2005, 05:03 PM
thanks, does any one have any ideas on the colour scheme/texture, i like the orange and chrome but ive been thinking its lacking. i want something truck like. if you know what i mean.

SHEPEIRO
10-03-2005, 10:37 AM
no ideas huh ,insert snide remark about lack of imagination around here, he he only joking.

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 10:13 AM
Here still no ideas, oh well i was playing around with irt last night, and settled on this, its just a kind of cloud design, kind of like Mario clouds or something, might be a bit cute for the driver though.

What do you think. its pretty much finished unless any one can point out any poor areas.

C&C please.

WHOOPS file is far too big for attachments one minute while i go to Photoshop and sort it out, unfortunatly its on another computer so its a convoluted process.

EDIT -DONE- EDIT

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 10:31 AM
no crits:sad:

im still not pleased with the paint job, i need a spark of inspiration to get me going again, any ideas people, please, i want to put this in the out tray.

Gadric
10-06-2005, 10:51 AM
what about flashes and more dark clouds?
The white clouds are too cute ;-)
Or you try to make old fire/tendrils stuff ;-)

Gadric

Prs-Phil
10-06-2005, 12:55 PM
looking good man, I think some blackish stripes towards the windscreen from the gunholes would make them look a bit more used.

The same on the wings, you know where a little bit of oil runs out and travels along the wing.

I think you should get the character done first before you start messing around with clouds to ;)

SHEPEIRO
10-06-2005, 01:03 PM
hey there Phil there are actually burn streaks from the guns, but they are not strong enough,
oil streaks, good idea.

will strt the character as soon as i get time. ho ho

utchamp
10-06-2005, 07:21 PM
For the paint job.

Try a black one with flames:twisted: or something to that order.

-pinstripes

-graphic [logo, picture, ect..]

I like the ship though

SHEPEIRO
10-10-2005, 09:15 AM
hey update time, heres the start of the pilot, keeping it pretty close to concept so far.
about 4,000 tris so far, but in no way optimised, as making this for high poly version, so loads of unessesary detail that will be taken out of low poly.

EDIT- concept is somewhere above -EDIT

SHEPEIRO
10-10-2005, 05:12 PM
hey man i need an accesory any ideas, i was thinking of some kind of realistic/mega cartoony ray gun in a similar design to ship. wad da ya think.

SHEPEIRO
10-11-2005, 09:14 AM
hey made a start on the zbrushed details on the face wad da ya think,

C&C PLEASE>>

second image is a just a post render play to see what it may look like, get your murry mints out.

EDIT- Spaceship for this guy is in previous pages -EDIT

SHEPEIRO
10-12-2005, 09:55 AM
ok another update, not a big looking one, but god good hands take for bleeding ages, and i got sidetracked by the frivolities of button making. oh and i increased the lenght of his legs, they looked ok in the concept, but they were just way tooo short, oh and made him look as if hes bursting out of his shirt ewwww.

SHEPEIRO
10-12-2005, 09:57 AM
wow thats three updates and no C&C, must be a record. gonna ZBRUSH those hand tonight, give em veeins and old ness.

SHEPEIRO
10-12-2005, 04:26 PM
heeelllooo is any body ody dy out there there ere re ee e

SHEPEIRO
10-13-2005, 09:24 AM
ok this is my forth update, and no replys:sad:

anyway on with the buisness, ive done the zbrushing on the clothes and hands. so me thinks that the high poly is finnito. woo hoo. so tonight im gonna re-model the low poly, currently standing at 15000, but after optimisation, i reakon, 4000-5000 should be easily a possibilty.
and im gonna use a single 1024* map(diff/spec/norm)

sorry just got to go and sort out attachments to make some space for it.

EDIT- Here you go mmmmmm feel like im talking to myself- EDIT

Gadric
10-13-2005, 10:46 AM
nice pilot, he has no old uniform?
Seems like he is an old farmer, who flys over his farm with water...maybe his clothes would not fit to the ship?!
Make him lowpoly and let him capture the cockpit and we will know ;-)
best regards,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
10-13-2005, 11:15 AM
ok since i have a reply:) i wil give a little background, hes a space trucker, protecting, and driving huge convoys "theres a bear in a brown paper bag" across outer space, his cockpits pressurised, and hes been wotking the routes so long that he no longer cares to wear his space suit, he prefers the utilitain feel of his dungerees and plaid shirt, doesnt every man past 60.

i think i might make a space service station (like the one in Space Balls), or massive convoy ship, for background in the future.

oh yeah and hes gonna get a 50s style ray gun for zapping those pesky space rats that try and eat his Oreo's when he aint lookin.

SHEPEIRO
10-14-2005, 11:10 AM
heres a pic of the kind of gun hes gonna have

wafd da ya tink

SHEPEIRO
10-17-2005, 01:02 PM
mmmm no updates today, but what abuot some C&C:scream:

finchy
10-17-2005, 02:04 PM
Hello there, Thought it was about time i commented on your work, as you have on mine so many times :) I like the ship very cool! but the character has well... CHARACTER! the concept is real nice and the model resembles the concept drawing. good job! can't wait to see the texture on him, I imagin him all oily and spanners in his pocket cause the ship keeps breakin down.. hehe.. that gun suits the style of the character. where you finding your refrences or inspiration? Keep it up, and thanks for commenting on my work!
Finchy :)

SHEPEIRO
10-17-2005, 02:55 PM
mmm cheers for the comment finchy:) . the inspiration comes mainly from 50s american kitch, truckers and the frontier, but not like startrek. ive just pulled alot of refs from the internet as per usual, no particular place. hes deffinatly gonna be oily(in more ways than one), and the engine gyro fribulators on the starboard side are always playing up so his multi-ray spanner has found a home in his pocket that i havnt yet made(need to remeber to make them). mmmm im gonna enjoy texturing this one.

SHEPEIRO
10-21-2005, 09:51 AM
hey big update.

heres the almost finished guy, baked out the lighting and normals to 1024* looks wicked me thinks what about you. oh yeah i am never doing a checker shirt again, took hours just to do those frickin lines. aazargyh

sorry for pic quality will vbe back in a minute with better one, windows picture manager is ultra crap at compression.

Gadric
10-21-2005, 11:23 AM
but hope to see a larger image ;-)
5500 Polys, thats more than the ship, isnt, it?
come on, let us see the big image!

Gadric

SHEPEIRO
10-21-2005, 11:44 AM
gotta wait till my boss gets offa his computer so i can use PS to compress the file to a size that is good. hes been on there for ages:sad:

SHEPEIRO
10-21-2005, 12:55 PM
heres a better image C&C PLEASE

Gadric
10-21-2005, 02:00 PM
ah yes. Looks very detailed. Maybe to much polys for a pilot, who sit in your spaceship, but, maybe you wanna make some more stuff with him.
He has character!
Let him pose a bit to give him more! unless i like it!

best regards,
Gadric

finchy
10-21-2005, 02:59 PM
very nice, iv been waiting for this to appear! any chance of posting the texture map of him? like i said earlier nice charavter that has character! the texture lived up to the model! finchy:)

SHEPEIRO
10-21-2005, 03:17 PM
cheers yeah took a while as i was working on me GAC entry but as thats pretty much finished (check thread) thought i would get this done.

Gadric, the idea behind the detail of them both was that they would be used in a kind of action adventure, where you would see ship with pilot in flying around then pilot on his own. thinking about the views that you would use in these types of games, and looking at other examples(gta) i decided that the character would benefit from the detail where as the ship, could be achieved with less. i dont think theres a problem with this as i invisage loads of these kind of ships flying around, with only the players pilot showing or lods in other ships.
hope i am right with this.

will post the maps tomorrow. plus i think im gonna rig him and get a small scene with him filling the ship up at a gas station/asteroid, or some other suitable vignette (SP). ideas on a postcard please.

thanks for the comments keep um coming

SHEPEIRO
10-25-2005, 09:49 AM
heres another update, started on the rigging, and aaaargh having a few probs with his fat little body. gonna finish his texture map in a bit as got pi**ed off with it.

heres a little scene i made up for him and his ship, need some ideas please.

C&C is needed.

SHEPEIRO
10-25-2005, 04:24 PM
Whiney Whinge no comments. sulk.

finchy
10-25-2005, 06:10 PM
Looking good! Nice job all round. Any ideas on animating him? I imagin him pulling up to a fill up station on a small moon with an overly sized garage! one comment about the renders, the window on the ship looks to clean and shiny maybe dirty it up a bit add a few cracks. Still looking good. Finchy :)

SHEPEIRO
10-26-2005, 01:31 PM
yeah ive completely forgot to texture the window, was gona do a little 256* map for it thanks for reminding me of it, like the idea of gas station, what about a greasy spoon cafe aswell?

Prs-Phil
10-28-2005, 09:02 AM
yeah, trucker with attitude.

You might wan't to work on the glases, the gradient looks a bit wrong.

It would be cool if you could render the guy with a more interesting lightsetup and not a black background.

Keep it up

the_what
10-28-2005, 09:56 AM
Blog anyone?

SHEPEIRO
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
hey there phil, there aint no gradient on the glasses yet, just the normal, will sort out soon, when i get back in the mood for texturing this guy, probably tonight as i can see more objectively having left it a couple of days.

CGTalk Moderation
10-28-2005, 10:13 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.