PDA

View Full Version : in-Between blendShapes

goosh
11-10-2002, 02:46 AM
Ok.. here is my case.

I've got a character that smiles and frowns.
I want to add just one blendshape that sites in 0 (which is neutral) and if I go to -1 then it'll frown and if I go to 1 then it smiles.

Is this possible?

(Same for say Eyebrow up and down... at the moment I have two blendshapes and it would be nice to combine them into one)

I did a blink inbetweening it.. and that works fine, I had 5 targets but they are all consecutive.. this is kind of a different situation... and this goes from 0 to 1.. what I want to do is go from 0 to 1 and -1 (or .5 to 0 and 1.. it's all the same.. as long as I get to have the slider in the middle as a default)

Of course I can alway add the blendshapes separatelly and then create a set driven key that will just fown or smile.. but I was wondering if I could do it all as a blendshape.. ('cause the other way I end up with a lot of blendshapes sliders)

yes? no? maybe? and no.. don't say get another package!! I like maya :P

Goosh

Stahlberg
11-11-2002, 03:22 AM
I'm not sure if it can be done exactly as you'd like (I never use Inbetween Blendshapes in that way, if I need several Blendshapes in series I prefer to SDK them myself so I can tweak the curves.)

If you can't do it any other way, to minimize the sliders you could at least get away with only 2 of them, then SDK one to the other.

edit: if you think it might get confusing which slider to animate, you can lock the ones that shouldn't be key-framed (by RMB over the number-window under the slider and choosing Lock Attribute).

Ckerr812
11-11-2002, 04:12 AM
Originally posted by goosh
Ok.. here is my case.

I've got a character that smiles and frowns.
I want to add just one blendshape that sites in 0 (which is neutral) and if I go to -1 then it'll frown and if I go to 1 then it smiles.

Is this possible?

Goosh

I dunno if this will be a great help or not, but anyways, if a person came to me and asked what you wanted, I would do it like you said, and use a set driven key for the in-between shapes, so each number would be driven in the editor as a different shape. Also you could tweak the curves of the Set driven Key attribute so you don't have alot of sliders to deal with.

That's what I would do, but maybe I am misunderstanding the question.

*Edit* Yea, I think I just repeated what Mr.Stahlberg said, took me awhile to figure out that SDK stood for set driven key ..sorry bout that ;)

ragtag
11-12-2002, 04:04 PM
Get Animation Master, no prob with the pose sliders and positive/negative/in-between shapes, even spline in-betweening of the vertices....:bounce:

hehe...no seriously. Here's how you can do it in Maya. Create the blend shape and apply it the way you would normally (wait with the in-betweens). Then add you in-between shape by going into the Deform>Edit Blend Shape>Add [] window. Here you need to specify the BlendShape node (that's the blend shape group name, not the name of the shape), and type in the target index (number what the shape is in the list of shapes counting from 1). Then you need to set where on the range you want your shape in In-Between Weight. Here you can put in 0.5 to set it in the middle. You can also type in -1 here, though the sliders in the Channel box and blend shape window will still stay between 0 and 1. You can type in -1, but any animators using it will hate you for it (including yourself:) ). A simple workaround would be to connect it to another custom attribute with a range from -1 to 1...or to dig through the manual and find a way to change the min/max values of attributes after they have been created.

Hope that made some sense...

Ragnar

p.s. SDK is the standard abreviation for Software Development Kit, so using it for set driven key is kind of confusing.

seanman
11-13-2002, 02:16 AM
I dont know how long its been in Maya, but I was so glad when I finally found it. ;)

Set up your 'extreme' blendshape first, like the eye all the way open, or shut....

Then go to Deform>Edit Blendshape>Add
and open the options.

You want to click on 'add inbetween target'
and set the 'In-between weight' to the value desired to hit 100% of this particular blendshape Inbetween.
Negative numbers should work in there also, so your '-1 to 1 frown to smile' Idea will work.

I cant remember what 'Target Index' is, but I think its documented. I think its refering to which blendshape shape ID you want to add the inbetween to if you've got multiple shapes assigned already.

It works great for eyelids, you can usually get away with only 1 or 2 inbetweens between your extremes.

Good luck!
:)
sean

Stahlberg
11-13-2002, 02:28 AM
Hehe, it's also the abbreviation of SudDeutsche Krankenversicherung...
But ok. It's just not very clear and concise to type out the whole "then you Set Driven Key one to the other" thing either. Sounds wrong somehow. :)

CaptainSam
11-13-2002, 01:55 PM
Originally posted by Stahlberg
clear and concise to type out the whole "then you Set Driven Key one to the other" thing either. Sounds wrong somehow. :)

Well, I guess the name itself is Driven Key. What you do with it is to set it.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 04:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.