PDA

View Full Version : Mayas Sub-Division Skinning, is it possible?

silversilk
09-26-2005, 04:27 AM
Hi, Ive started to model in sub-ds with MAYA 7 and I finally have a nice female robot ( by the way, do you happen to know good reference for Mech, Robot or humanoid? Plz, give me some light ).

The thing is, after researching for the best way to rig a robot skin and joints, I decided to go with parent/child relations in the bone/body parts.

But the thing is, at her feet, with my foot rig, I want her to bend it up and down, so I skinned with smooth skin but Im not getting good results. The problem is that I wat to select the ankle, ball and toe joints and apply the skin to her foot/boot. Well, Im ending up having joint weight issues. So I go for the new color paint weight in MAYA 7.0 but it seems not working with sub-ds. I mean, nothing happens as I paint over the points. No matter how I try with the different painting ways, I see no results at the mesh. Know, the strange thing is, if I hit RESET button at tools attributes, the painting that I just blindly did appears.

So know I try the painting for the second joint ( say, the ball ). The same process goes all over, meaning that I have to go for the RESET button to see what I just painted. But know, after working with the ball joint, my first paintig ( lets say the toe ) is reseted.

Well, I tryed to paint different meshes at this same files, but not sub-ds and they all work fine. I only have this problem with sub-ds.

So, my question is: is it normal in MAYA? I mean, are sub-ds capable to show the paint weight process as you go along ( real time )? Or is it a bug for this new version? Remember that I said that I can work normally with all other modeling methods, but I dont want to modify my geometry to a Poly or Nurbs just to paint weight it ( well, if I have no option I will ).

silversilk
09-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Hey guys, sry to flood but 28 views and no single answer? :-(

Anyways, just wanted to know if it's possible to see the Paint Weight progress on the fly in Maya 7 when working with Sub-d's.

Thx so much

godas
10-16-2005, 05:27 AM
Hmmm. I can't understand well. Maybe send me the file and let me see what I can do with your rig. godas@op.pl

LeeLee D
10-16-2005, 06:22 AM
http://www.anime-model-sheets.com

^^ Has Reference pictures of toy mechs and suchand of course Anime Model Sheets

jramauri
10-16-2005, 04:07 PM
When you work with subds in Maya, the best thing you can do is to use the so called wrap skinning. This mean take a copy of your geometry, at level 0, convert to poly, skin this copy to a skeleton, and then add this poly to the subds, as a wrap deformer. There's a good tutorial about that on Steven Stahlberg's site, http://www.androidblues.com/rigtut.html. There's a lot of benefits in doing this, like lighter files, a low res version of your char for animation, and the ablity to paint skin weights on polys, instead of working with subds. Give it a try.

malcolmTG
10-21-2005, 01:55 AM
another option you may want to think about is weighting a poly proxy of the subd object. you get more control with this then with wrapping. wrapping works greats if the meshes are exactly the same, but you can get upwanted pulling if you have to set the distance on the wrap pretty high. or atleast it was that way in 6. i havent messed with 7 yet, but im sure you can still do the poly proxy.

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2005, 01:55 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.