PDA

View Full Version : WIP: little spaceship

Gadric
09-26-2005, 01:42 AM
Hi there,
for a little indi game project i make a spaceship. At the start of the project, it should to be cute and round...now, i have to make it a little bit more "bad" :twisted:, but it's not easy, i wanna hold the main body. What do you think? (around 2400 tris just now)
The weapons, which the player get, will be mounted on the left and right side with an energy link, so the weapons will optical "stretch" the ship to its sides...
The game should become a fun shooter somehere in the universe. I can already fly and shoot! We use the torque engine...
Hope to get much comments!
I will post the next pictures asap...
greets,
Gadric
Last update:
http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship01.jpg

http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship02.jpg

http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship04.jpg

in the attachements i will post the wip stages-->

AdamAtomic
09-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Awesome! Reminds me of Invader Zim. The front profile view looks very nice, but the side view doesn't read very well - maybe som efins or something on the back? nice job!

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 01:42 PM
:thumbsup: some little swept fins, i was thinking four, one on each diagonal, would help gave the ship "direction" as you need to know which direction a ship is facing, even when not moving.
nice design texture should make it.

by coincidence i have just started a little cute ship aswell, although not as cute as yours
heres a link http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280442

dpizzle
09-26-2005, 03:06 PM
i like the design
it reminds me of solar jet man (http://gtw64.retro-net.de/Pages/Shots_Solarjetman.htm)....
let's see some updates!
:thumbsup:

Gadric
09-26-2005, 04:30 PM
hi, thank you for the input-some fins are a very good idea! i will mount them next and i will kill the mounting things on the sides, so that the weapons can linked to the fins---fins will definitly improve the sides!
What you think about the power unit? I hope i can animate them a little bit, so that it will waggle, when the ship is moving...
dpizzle: solar jet man---i hope it will be better when it's ready :D

Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 04:56 PM
hey man keep those gun mounts, i like. heres an idea of what i meant by fins( sorry used paint to draw, crap work computers).

with added eyes and tongue as well.

Gadric
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
hi, i mad some fins and a dummy gun. now i work on the engine...
SHEPEIRO: nice picture ;-), the problem with your fin positions are, that i dount want break this round thinks, maybe they get some glassmaterial like the cockpit in front...the old idea was that you can see how much energy is left in this ship...but thats hard to get in game...so...maybe there is a shader which shows a nice effect maybe reflections or some fluid on this...
under the cockpit maybe i make a hugh "turboloader"/ air inlet...what do you think?
---and now the engine....

best regards,
Gadric

Gadric
09-26-2005, 11:39 PM
ok last update for today...
the engine is not finished yet...maybe tomorrow:shrug:
hope you like it!

Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 09:46 AM
Like the idea of glass side to see it filling up. you could easily do something, with a sepate object inside with an animated gradient map to simulate it filling up, or even a bitmap, with animated cords.

but i had the idea that you could make a simple set of planes/sphere with a glowing material/ bitmap that would scale up to fill insides when powered up. it could even shine out of glass sections, when super powered.

Gadric
09-28-2005, 01:45 AM
next update, made more on the engine...but there need a little more in there centre...
cool, that you like the idea, about fill up with energy, hope to find the right way to realize it.

next i will last things on the engine and then texture it!
What texture you would prefer? More organic, more industrial/metal, or more comic?
it will become an alien ship...

regards,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
09-28-2005, 10:19 AM
perhaps purpley blue colours, quite organic, with some splashes of darkgreen in there. it would be nice to get some kind of oily look, beetle shell like.

Gadric
10-02-2005, 11:59 PM
here it is, its a long way and to less time in the past days for it, but i think, i am on the right way. hope to get the same effects in the engine. What do you think about the color?
Dont know for the cockpit, when i make it transparent, i have to make a pilot or something...nobody know, what alien thing flys such ships :D
the other side: it costs polys...
there is much to do, the texture is not finished, its just a first try for the color and effects, mapping isnt finished, too...
hope, that you like it, when not, say why, please!
best regards,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
10-03-2005, 01:48 PM
Have a look at these submissions for the last UGAC, i think a more Insect like texture would be good for your alien Ship.

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=273259

Gadric
10-04-2005, 03:57 PM
may be you are right, i will try an "insectlike" texture, but i also wanna work on the current...and i want to try some metallic stuff, too...and then i will decide, or i make a voting here and let the cgtalkers decide :D
Hope to have the time next days...i have still to make the room for the baby at home...so...there is much to do...:bounce:

SHEPEIRO
10-04-2005, 04:18 PM
is yout baby real or 3d, either way congrats,

i think the texture needs alot of work at the mo. i would say use a bluish oiled and golden metalic textures as a base, then work some bulges and ridges into the lighting (use a burn and dodge brush in PS) to give the effect of a more organic form.

Gadric
10-13-2005, 12:20 AM
hi there,
have hade a little bit time to make a little update...
SHEPEIRO: baby is real and it comes this year ;-)

I made the ship more bad and dangerous, i hope so...so its more a space fighter...hope to change not much more on it..so i can make the texturework and some little details on it...
hope you like it
C&C Please!
best regards,
Gadric

SHEPEIRO
10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
well congrates, and hope all goes well.

thats looking cool, but that texture is horrible, have a look at some HR Gieger stuff (you know designed them pesky aliens) and gine this model some bulbus, ribbed sweaty alien look, but keep it colourfull like a beetle.

oh yeah check out me pilot for me ship,
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Gadric
10-13-2005, 10:39 AM
the texture is bad, but the last hours i had to rework a bit the body, so that it look not so cute like at the beginning...so i think the body is much better now, more spacefighter like...so now i can start the mapping, details, and texturework.
Thanks for your tipps, again, stay online!
And i like you pilot ;-)

Gadric

Gadric
10-13-2005, 11:56 PM
i tryed another color, what do you think?
Also made a little bump map for the venes...

Please C&C!

best regards,
Gadric

Gadric
10-18-2005, 11:37 PM
update:
next update...tried much about the textur, now i wanna present you that, next days i will look for shaders in the torque engine, cause the ship is for a game, which use the torque engine. Anyone there, who has some "know how"?
Hope you like this version more and i got some very important C&C, please!:D

Gadric

http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship01.jpg

http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship02.jpg

dpizzle
10-19-2005, 02:36 AM
spiderman spaceship!

Gadric
10-19-2005, 10:19 AM
Now, you know, how spiderman came to earth :D
the spiderman came to my mind, too....maybe i try i cold blue color.
What do you think about the shape?

Gadric

Gadric
10-19-2005, 01:23 PM
update,
so cool, isnt it? :D
Blue variante:
http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/blue_glass.jpg

Thr35h0ld
10-19-2005, 02:15 PM
definitely like the blue one better. It has a real RTS feel to it, know what I mean? I'd not be surprised to see this in Starcraft 2... Whenever Blizzard gets off their collective ass and makes it.

dpizzle
10-19-2005, 03:19 PM
that looks much better than before...
best one yet!

oh, i like the shape of the ship, but i think that it would look better with the side wings pointed downward at an angle, instead of mostly just coming straight out of the side, know what i mean?

Gadric
10-19-2005, 03:39 PM
hi, thanks!
Blizzard again? That's not the first time, that i hear blizzard in my threads... hehe.. i think they should really give me a job! :D
Thr35h0ld: yes i know what you mean, i think it's the color-->RTS
dpizzle: i have tried much with the wings, but for you i will try it, once again!

Next i will give the texture more live and try something with the wings and the weapons are not ready...

Gadric
10-19-2005, 04:55 PM
i got a tipp to add a color and i made it, i think its cool, what do you think?
http://sacher3.de/gfx/skyshooter/alienship04.jpg

Gadric
10-20-2005, 11:10 PM
come on guys! I need some suggestions for the weapons! I will rework it completly. the old one are only dummies. How the weapons should look like?
Please help me, you are the right men here, cause i post in this forum to learn and make a better work! I love this forum, but when only the people, who post the uncredible crazy five-stars-stuff, gets some posts...then i have to wait for posts until i would post some of this stuff...but i cant do that....cause you dont say me, how to make such stuff :D Do you see my problem? ;-)
I have no problem, if you say, how bad my work is, when you make helpfull comments, crits and you give suggestions, so please help me to become the best 3d artist of the world! (after you, of course ;-))

best regards,
Gadric

LeeLee D
10-20-2005, 11:29 PM
On a semi related topic. I also am working on my own little Torque Project.

As for the ship. I like it except the guns on the side kind of look like laser pointers?

Personally I think you should have some huge...ever play Marvel Vs Capcom 2?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v444/aikuza/IRONMANAIKUZAsmall.gif

dpizzle
10-21-2005, 04:35 AM
that gif is awesome! right click, Save Picture As...
i agree on the gun design though, it should be overly gigantic!

LeeLee D
10-21-2005, 06:01 AM
It took me a few mins to find a good example and I found that sucker..Its awesome :)

Gadric
10-21-2005, 09:07 AM
You are right! The gun has to be hugh! :buttrock:
LeeLee D (member.php?u=174706):what is your project with the torque engine? Maybe we can help each other?! Cool to find someone on this board, who use this engine!
After work, i will make the guns!
Gadric

LeeLee D
10-22-2005, 04:15 AM
I just started it up actually....I've had the engine since January 2003 but never reallt touched it until now....I have an initial game design doc in place but until I set an exact artistic style for the game as a whole its hard for me to get going.....Ive gone through 4 different main character models lol

CGTalk Moderation
10-22-2005, 04:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.