PDA

View Full Version : VERY c++ beginner

kiko3d
09-25-2005, 12:22 PM
HI, Im trying to compile this very simple program (Hello World) type, in visual studio.net and All I get is this error in the output line:

fatal errorC1010:unexpected end of file while looking for precompiled header directive.

And I guess is that I have my directories wrongly setup, so please help, cause Im very new to visual .net, thanks.

gedim21
09-25-2005, 03:44 PM
As the error says, you have to turn off 'precompiled headers'. To do that right-click on your project in the solution explorer and choose properties.In the new window, go to the C/C++ tab/Precompiled headers and set the first option to 'Not using Precompiled headers'. That should do the trick.

kiko3d
09-25-2005, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot, besides I think Im gonna be asking a fat lot questions like that one before, so be prepared for silly questions.

kiko3d
09-28-2005, 06:29 AM
Has anyone tried the 3dbuzz vtm, I mean the full bundle, is it worth the money?

ace4016
09-28-2005, 06:50 AM
If you want something that I think is worth more then its cost, may I suggest the "Thinking in C++" book by Bruce Eckel (available at bruceeckel.com). It will bring you from syntax all the way up to OOP templates, from there you can continue to volume 2 of the book or go off and learn on your own. It's free for an e-copy of the book (links are on his site).

kiko3d
09-28-2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks a lot but, could I get it in pdf format?

ace4016
09-28-2005, 09:42 PM
Some places have it in pdf, but not sure where though. A friend gave me my pdf for volume one (had to get the html version of volume two).

cyberluigi2k
09-29-2005, 09:41 AM
You can find both volumes here:

http://www.mindview.net/Books/DownloadSites

kiko3d
10-01-2005, 09:54 AM
Thanks a lot for your attention

kiko3d
10-16-2005, 11:48 PM
Ive managed to get a copy of tninking in c++ in pdf format.
And as it is very extensive, I would like to learn how to keep the last page I was in last time I was reading, dont know if you get me... Something like putting a marker on it or something, so please help cause its a real pain in the ass.

cyberluigi2k
10-17-2005, 09:32 AM
I don't know how you can set a bokmark on a pdf, but you can always note the last page you are reading and then go to it the next time you open de document (you can write the page number you want at the bottom part of the page)

trebster
10-18-2005, 02:23 PM
Has anyone tried the 3dbuzz vtm, I mean the full bundle, is it worth the money?
Sorry for this late reply but I don't come here very often. I have purchased the fulll programming bundle (all the C++ vtm's and the OpenGL vtm's) and I can say that it was one of the best purchases I've ever made. You really learn ton's of them. In the C++ vtm's they guide you through the basics of programming and after that they learn you how to create a simple 2d sidescroller game. When you start with the OpenGL vtm's, a whole new world is opening up for you. They'll take you through the process of creating an OBJ loader and a particle engine. On the site you can download a video where they show you the particle engine in action.

kiko3d
11-01-2005, 10:03 PM
Ive seen the c++ part as I was taking the course some time ago but I have to say that I get confused with the classes, I had to learn it from a book.

Anyway, I wanted to know how to set up the opengl libraries, I mean that I need some detailed information about it, cause I have tried to link them many times and I just cant get them to work. Im using visual.net, so if anyone would be so kind to take some time to explain that, I would really apreciate it, thanks in advance.

ace4016
11-01-2005, 11:08 PM
nehe (http://nehe.gamedev.net/) already has a tutorial (http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=01) on this. Have you tried that? Forgetting the libs causes errors, so remember to add them.

kiko3d
11-02-2005, 12:41 AM
That is the tutorial I have read, and after I go to "Tools/Options/Projects/Vc++Directories" and there I choose the path to my gl.h, and so other files, the compiler gives me a series of errors as it doesnt understand where I got those functions from.

This is what i get:

http://kikoman.250free.com/Openglerrorcompiler.jpg

Hope you got more detailed information now.....

Waiting impatiently for the answer.........

ace4016
11-02-2005, 01:27 AM
Hm, your suppose to go to Project -> <Name of project> Properties, then a box pops up, where you click, Linker, then command line, and add the following to the "Additional Options":

OpenGL32.lib GLu32.lib GLaux.lib

and that's it. You shouldn't have had to point the compiler to the correct directory since .net comes with the OGL files.

kiko3d
11-02-2005, 06:45 AM
Thanks a lot you really saved me......

kiko3d
11-06-2005, 10:26 AM
In considering to taka a course in c++, do you think is worth the money, and do you think it would be easy to learn an API such as OPENGL or DIRECTX after that?, or do I actually have to take another course for them?

-Vormav-
11-06-2005, 10:48 AM
A course in C++ can certainly be helpful. However, I wouldn't expect to be able to move quickly and easily over to OpenGl or DirectX after that. But it's a start. :shrug:

kiko3d
11-06-2005, 11:15 AM
But I mean, that opengl is based in c++, so once one understands the foundation of classes, things are a lot easier... But you know here in spain is impossible to take a course on opengl so, I guess Im gonna have to squeeze my brain..

ace4016
11-06-2005, 11:24 AM
If your doing it mroe as a hobby, learning on your own will most likely be faster, and cheaper (actually, an intro c/c++ course is usually slow anyways). OGl is a C API it looks like, just you can use C in C++. Once you learn c++, it won't be too hard to pick up OGl/DX, just make sure you know c/c++ before you get to OGL/DX.

-Vormav-
11-06-2005, 11:25 AM
Yeah, it definitely makes it a lot easier (and understanding C++ is a crucial step). I'm just saying that it wouldn't quite make it "easy." ;) DirectX is practically a whole new language altogether.

mummey
11-07-2005, 04:28 PM
But I mean, that opengl is based in c++, so once one understands the foundation of classes, things are a lot easier... But you know here in spain is impossible to take a course on opengl so, I guess Im gonna have to squeeze my brain..

Knowing a programming language is a good skill. Go take this class, then get bck to us when you're ready to take a look at OpenGL.

-b

kiko3d
11-07-2005, 10:38 PM
I really want to take that class cause it is always best to learn something from a person rather than a book, but they ask for 200 Euros, and thats a lot, so Im trying to learn as much as I can on my own, and maybe I could go without it.Ill keep in touch with you guys.

fred22
11-16-2005, 12:22 AM
I to am trying learn c++ but cannot access a course. I know maya/mel really well and some python. But I'm using the internet and books to learn.

Why do you want to learn opengl programming? Games? Plugins?

-Matt

kiko3d
11-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Mostly for games, and image visualization.

But Im considering to study a career in england in the future

kiko3d
11-21-2005, 08:43 AM
Hi, Im at school using VC++ 6.0, adn I cant get the opengl programs to build, I got The saem mistake I got before with the net version, I guess all I have to do is pointing the compiler in the right direction, so please some help in the subject, thanks in advance.

archerion
11-21-2005, 10:54 AM
If that is what you want to do, then go for it. Im not sure where you are from but alot of community collages have night courses in C++, I will be entering my 3rd year in Computer Science, i still need to finish, I havent been back in 3 years, pretty rusty in the lanuguage.

Once you learn something like C++ all the lanuguages will be easy to pick up, after that everything else is pretty much the same with diffrences. Books are the key!

mummey
11-22-2005, 04:24 AM
Hi, Im at school using VC++ 6.0, adn I cant get the opengl programs to build, I got The saem mistake I got before with the net version, I guess all I have to do is pointing the compiler in the right direction, so please some help in the subject, thanks in advance.

hi kiko, check out this link: http://nehe.gamedev.net/data/lessons/lesson.asp?lesson=02

the Visual C++ code link near the bottom of the page is for VC6 so it should work for you. Take a look at it project settings so you know what you need to do for your own projects.

Hope this helps,
-b

CGTalk Moderation
11-22-2005, 04:24 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.