PDA

View Full Version : playblast -compression flag

Jugdish
09-25-2005, 08:45 AM
Can someone please explain to me what kind of value is supposed to go with the -compression flag to the playblast command? The documentation says that on a Windows machine, you need to specify the "4 byte handler code for the Video for Windows codec." I interpret this to mean the FourCC of the codec.

OK, so I tried doing "-compression CVID" to specify that I want to use the Cinepak codec. But I get the error:
// Error: line 1: invalid compression type //

I tried several other FourCC's that I know, including XVID, FFDS, YUY2, and UYVY, but they all said it was an invalid compression type. So now I'm starting to think that it's something other than the FourCC that this flag wants.

If you open the playblast options dialog box, click on the Compression button and select "Full Frames/Uncompressed" and playblast, then look at the Script Editor, you will see that the the playblast command executes with "-compression none." HOWEVER, if you go back to the playblast options, and change the Compression back to something else, like say Cinepak for example, and save the settings, then go to the Script Editor and call the playblast command with "-compression none", it will completely ignore this and will compress using the Cinepak codec, or whatever it was that you specified in the dialog box.

So it appears that this -compression flag is completely worthless because it doesn't do ANYTHING! Is this actually the case??

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2005, 08:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.