PDA

View Full Version : Slowing yourself down?......is it just me

rb25_det
09-25-2005, 06:31 AM
Hey guys, i dont know if you guys are the same, but i work on 3d hours on end, and usually the first hour or so, is actually me doing 3d, and after that im kinf of working like i would like to finish what im doin, and i tend to just go off the model, and start losing concentration etc.........to a point where the next day, im restarting that same model....same thing ....

How do you guys keep the interest, im actually learning to model a head, and usually i give up half way.......but i work on it constant for a long period of time, and im thinking, if i were to just rest a bit, maybe i could have enough energy, even maybe the next day to start on it again......

Do any of you tend to do this sort of problem aswell?.........or is it just me:(

ThomasMahler
09-25-2005, 08:18 AM
Don't worry, that's very natural. See it as training. I'm sure every sculptor has loads of unfinished work somewhere, often you're just sculpting to work on your skill, to see if you have remembered stuff you did the last time or see if you can do it better nowadays. You don't have to finish every model you're starting and you're not a bad sculptor just because you didn't finish a model for quite some time. Sculpting can be like sketching, just keep working, it always goes up and down. If you fail, anaylize why you failed and try to do it better next time.

The key to keeping motivation is simply to do your homework first: Research what you're doing and why you're doing the projects you're working on, research what would be the best way to materialize your ideas, how you could push the edge a little further, think about what could become a problem while you're working, if you're doing something you did before, think about what you could do different this time, etc. That way, you'll always learn something along the road. Keep your mind busy all the time. If you're working on a personal project, try to do as much as possible on paper, write your ideas down, sketch them, etc. etc. All of this stuff happens before you model anything, but it'll be about 50% of your work. I think the rest is just training.

rb25_det
09-25-2005, 09:35 AM
Yep i think youre right in most ways, post production is the key, i might actually take up the approach and see how i go as ive done so many "Sketches" as youd put it, and hardly any ever get complete!!!

I just made half a human head model before, all from the top of my head, and i think it went well, i used methods from past tuts to get me going.....it was really good, the thing is, i didnt even think i was going anywhere with the model, and before i knw it, i had a half decet head beginning.........

Is it true to say that with heads, topology research is the key?, im just looking at wreframes of other users heads to get me used to the topology......and i think im learning alot from them.

twindragon
09-27-2005, 06:41 AM
My problem is when I model I stop at a certain point and start looking at the model from every angle..analyzing everything and seeing where I can improve then I do some test areas to see if I can improve them and sometimes I think ok I know I can do that becasue I learn from that then I think I wasted all that time analyzing and experimenting but I suppose its a good thing to do.

rb25_det
09-27-2005, 06:50 AM
I think thats a downfall i have with modelling, if you could call it that?....basically i never really do a rough-in model, but like to try and detail early on, but recently ive been trying to stop doing this, and i think it really is paying off, i too waste alot of time just panning around the viewport of the model and such....

speakerwizard
10-04-2005, 10:02 PM
I put it down to being to precious, you get to a certain point and you either dont want to harm the progress you have already made or you just cant see what needs to be done, either a response from someone else (new pair of eyes might see a problem needing addressing or save up and go a bit mad, doing something that may seem a bit over the top might allow you to see what needs to be done if ya get me, well in my case anyway lol, good luck.

mynewcat
10-08-2005, 02:49 AM
If you think about how you might sketch with a pencil, where you're roughing in lines, going over them, allowing your hand to float - thats how I model.

I'm pretty fast, and use hotkeys alot, but my most often used key is ctrl-z. I like to save often as well, plus make duplicates at different stages.

I think going two steps forward and one step back is par for the course really.

Plus I know what you mean about losing interest... for me it's when I have to start shoving in all the tiny annoying bits of detail at the end.

I swear I need an assistant or pickup artist to do all that crap.

CGTalk Moderation
10-08-2005, 02:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.