PDA

View Full Version : ZBrushed Troll Model

DeadBoy
09-25-2005, 04:43 AM
Alright, finally got around to ZBrushing my obligatory troll model; I'm pretty happy with it considering I've been on ZBrush for just over a month, but I've got lots of tweaks I need to do before extracting a normal map.

The low-poly mesh is 1800; the high is just over a million to accomodate the alpha brush deformation. C&C is welcome!!

DeadBoy

[EDIT] The wires can be found at: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=267675
However, I removed the texture and the chestplate!:thumbsup:

tin-tin
09-25-2005, 06:53 AM
I like it, good use of alpha brushes, only thing I've noticed from your low poly is the boots have have hard edges but appear smooth in the zbrush model.

DeadBoy
09-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Nice catch, TinTin :thumbsup: I've been trying to fix that problem for a while; someone on another thread told me using an "edge tool" might fix this, but I found that for some reason this tool doesnt translate well back to Maya.

I probably should have subdivided without smoothing, but this has been one hell of a crash-course in ZBrush (lots of coffee and learning DVDs). Do you know how I can solve this?

Thanks, and keep the crits coming!

Gaboon
09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Looking good! Nice skin texture. I would say that the feel of the texture now being kinda like elephant skin needs some creases in the joint areas. It has a very thick look to the skin and I would think that it would develop heavy creases under the arms, behind the knees ect. The way it is now, all uniform, makes it look more foamy instead of organic. Maybe also some variety in the texture. It seems to be the same all over the body, but I know its a WIP. Good job over all :) Keep it up!

tin-tin
09-26-2005, 01:24 AM
About the hard edges, well you could have avoided this problem by subdividing about 3 times in maya or max then subdivide in zbrush without smoothing. This method work if you want generate the normalmap outside of zbrush.

You could build the edges back using std brush and then pinch brush to make the edges sharper.

I agree with gaboon about creases in the joints and some variations.

any how, good work:)

DeadBoy
09-26-2005, 02:09 AM
Thanks guys,

I'll get to work on creating more variations near the joints; I agree it needs a bit more work to make it look more like natural skin. Hopefully I'll be able to repair the boots. About normal mapping the character- I was going to generate the map inside ZBrush, then use that map in Maya. Can I just plug it into either the displacement or bump node?

Thanks again- all crits are appreciated...

DeadBoy
09-26-2005, 08:19 PM
Alright, guess there are no more crits. Thanks TinTin and Gaboon! I'll keep you both posted:thumbsup:

SHEPEIRO
09-28-2005, 10:50 AM
hi there, ive been keepin an eye, but not posting on here for a while.

i like the Zbrush work, i need to learn that stencil effect. but im not tooo keen on the overall design of the creature. i dont wanna be harsh, it just looks very un-natural too me.

i think its quite fixable though.

first the head, i dont like the fact there is no space for a brain. not that trolls should be professors, but i think they should have a small forehead, like early man. and the jaw looks wrong, i think it needs bulking out with a bit of detail, and maybe some blunt teeth. get in thwer with the expand brush, and add some lumps and bumps, and more muscle def.

i think it might work to your advantage if you do some pulling and pushing(deformations) now, after adding the stencilled skin, it will strettch and compress the effect which i think will look much better, it looks too uniform at the mo.

keep it up.

save the model as a tool. and keep drawing them and making drastic deformations comparing between them( leave them on canvas while working on current, so you get what you like.

:) this is time consuming for everyone, keep it up.

Chanchito
09-28-2005, 10:59 AM
He needs more cowbell

Sorry, had to say it, nice work man. Get some muscle definition in there though.

DeadBoy
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
Haha, thanks Chanchito- I agree, more cowbell is the answer to everything:)

Shepeiro- Thanx for the crits- the teeth are blunt and broken, I just haven't imported them for ZBrushing yet. As for the jaw, I agree; I've been playing with that part forever now, but I'll keep at it until it looks right. As for the forehead, I respect your thoughts but that one I kinda like; every troll I see has a huge cro-magnon (sp?) forehead, I wanted a different look. However, he will most likely end up with a helmet so you may not even see it!

I will be adding more muscle definition in the next few days; I thought I had enough until I added the alpha brush for the skin; now it is barely noticeable. But I'll be adding in more bumps, boils, and a few more scars like the one on his back.

Thanks for the crits, and keep them coming...

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 06:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.