PDA

View Full Version : Doom model thing

tin-tin
09-25-2005, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

I've been doing this model for the last 3 days, kinda got inspired by playing doom3 and use of normalmaps. I know Zbrush pretty good but not that good on 3ds max. can anyone tell me how to bake normalmaps in 3ds max.

tin-tin
09-25-2005, 01:09 AM
Here are some ZB updates.

mindrot
09-25-2005, 01:22 AM
This is probably the most straight forward tutorial I've seen, though there are many others: http://www.cgchat.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=20424

This one by Poop is more indepth: http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow.htm

Good luck :thumbsup:

tin-tin
09-25-2005, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the links very helpful,

Right I've been up allnight using zbrush, here are some update and tell me what you guys think.

nibbuls
09-25-2005, 07:46 AM
Your ZBrushing looks great, first off, but the low polygon version has anatomy issues.

Again, excellent job with the ZBrushing.

thrawn83
09-25-2005, 11:34 AM
Your Zbrushing does look pretty good and I like the character design. -He's not another "He-Man-Hunk-SpaceMarine" but a rather skinny Soldier. That alone gives him a "deeper" character. :thumbsup:
I second the anatomy issues.
Check the elbows, the upper arms are too short,
The knees are too close together, he has X-shaped legs.
Put a 3D.sk image in the back of your viewport and adjust your lowpoly.
good work nontheless. Good luck with your Normalmapping.
:)

tin-tin
09-26-2005, 12:56 AM
Sorry didn't realise the anatomy was wrong and will fix them, about the x shaped legs well I was following a image in the viewport as a guide so didn't realise it, thanks for pointing it out.

The low poly is still a rough model, made to be zbrushed, so I will add more detail to match the high res one and will certainly fix those problems.:)

Thanks guys

tin-tin
09-26-2005, 04:40 AM
Here is a shot without the armor, made his face a lot more sculpted and clothing wise I kept it simple.

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 10:38 AM
the problem is the head, needs to be bigger, by quite a bit, + you need to work on the anatomy/shape of the head. get some good refs, at mo it slopes inwards too much. remember, the head/face of a character is usually what catches and holds the attention of a viewer, as this is what we look to naturarlly, to tell us things about a character, and their intentions.

i like the armour, and the bodys ok, but isolate the head and give it a good work over, perhaps add some more detail, like hair, scars etc.

tin-tin
09-27-2005, 03:40 AM
Ok I made the head bigger, studying the anatomy book i made changes, bigger nose, chin and more masculine lips also added more detail to the face, wanted to add more detail like skin texture but I have to subdivide again to 2 million polys and could cause problem importing to max for normalmaps.

robin
09-27-2005, 05:58 AM
This is good tintin50, keep it up you look pretty skilled in ZB, i'll try to keep this in mind if i want to keep my job

http://forums.cgsociety.org/images/icons/icon12.gif

tin-tin
10-02-2005, 06:09 AM
Sorry I couldn't update recently not been well:sad: . Ok done some work, first i had to get hang of 3ds max normalmapping, took some time to get it perfect but in the end got it right:) . So far i am still tweaking the low poly model and also some texturing.

CGTalk Moderation
10-02-2005, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.