PDA

View Full Version : strange subdivisions

mabuffaloe
09-24-2005, 09:58 PM
I'm pretty new at ZBrush, so bear with me =) I've attached an image that shows the problem I'm having. What is it about the model on the left that makes it subdivide so strangely on the right? I've got a mixture of quads, tris, and weird circular shapes... Is that normal for ZBrush? Because now when I go in and edit, the extrusions are all jagged and horrible looking, so I'm thinking this mesh is wrong... any ideas?

chadtheartist
09-24-2005, 10:25 PM
Yeah, it's your base mesh. Zbrush doesn't like triangles, and especially doesn't like the 5+ edge star where multiple edges end at one vertex. Zbrush works incredibly well in an all quad state, but sometimes that's unavoidable.

What I would do, is try and limit the triangles your mesh has. And also try and move the 5+ edge stars to areas where it won't become a problem for sculpting, for instance, creases.

At work I'm stuck with these type of meshes, and it makes Chad angry! LOL

mabuffaloe
09-26-2005, 11:19 PM
ahhh, gotcha! Makes sense.... I just gotta start making cleaner models ;) I'll see if I can fix this thing and get it looking better in ZBrush!

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 11:19 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.