PDA

View Full Version : For developers (perhaps Cman?)

alaklij
11-09-2002, 08:47 PM
Could someone write a script that would make all selected polygons surface normals, face a selected axis? Then, each polygon would spread out only as far as its neighboring polygons points. Kind of like Cman's Greatbox, except the polygons themselves would find their maximum bounding from their nieghbor. (Kind of like atlas unwrap, but the polygons maintain their neighbors).

The GOAL: when I create an endomorph for a custom UV unwrap, the first thing I want to do is make sure all polygons are facing one axis, trying my hardest not to distort them. (I usually face them positive Y direction, so i can see what the map will look like in my top viewport). The second: I move points so nothing is overlapping.

Now I know what I'm asking won't solve all the unwrapping process, but it would take the bulk of the work out. if I had the above described script I could essentially keep polygons neighbors visually oriented, and then adjust position and stretching.

I hope this makes sense.

Maybe this should be two scripts. Whatever is easier for the programmer.

thanks

Cman
11-10-2002, 03:54 AM
There is one that I think does what you're talking about. It's called Openwrap. Looking inside the script...looks like it was written back in 1999! By a guy/gal named Kuru.

I just found it recently when searching flay.com archives!

alaklij
11-10-2002, 06:07 AM
Hey thanks Cman,
I haven't been able to find it yet, but I'm still looking. I have a feeling it won't do what I want.
By the way, I use your Great box tool all the time now. Really wonderful, simple tool. Thanks.

Cman
11-10-2002, 06:35 AM
It might.
It takes all the polys you select and flattens them out while maintaining their scale, so normal is facing -z.
The downside is it only works on y-axis as written, and only cylindrical and spherical. So you may need to rotate your geometry to work with it appropriately. Or rewrite the script.

Here's a direct link.

openwrap (http://www7.wisnet.ne.jp/~dprj/lw_tips/lw_ls2.htm)

alaklij
11-10-2002, 07:59 AM
Thank you.

Cman
11-10-2002, 02:29 PM
NP.
Hey it's cool that you use Greatbox.
Maybe LW8 will have a button to automagically maintain scale when creating UVs and Greatbox can be gracefully retired. :applause:

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.