PDA

View Full Version : Advice from the experts

empleh
02-24-2002, 09:08 PM
Hi guys. I have recently completed my first head model and would like a little critique on it. This one was just to get my feet a little wet and get comfortable with a workflow. I am about to start on a few more models for animation. I plan on creating blendshapes for lip synching(if there is a better way I would appreciate the advice). Anyway critiques on the form and on the mesh would be appreciated. Right now I am kind of flying blind so if you guys see anything that will cause me problems later on please tell me.

http://www.vr.clemson.edu/~wwhaley/head/

Thanks for your time, I know how short it can be.

ww

Felix
02-24-2002, 10:17 PM
not bad for your first head (i assume it is the first finished head ?)
the mesh is flowing not bad following the contours of the face...
but it is clear thad you had your thoughts about that face (if you dont use anatomickal references, start doing it it will further improve your skill)

though i dont like the sharper line of the chin going up to the outer end of the eyes and it could be that the face is a little flat over all...you could use a lattice around the whole thing; but this is just a humble reply of someone not playing in a higher league whatsoever.
how many polys are used?
you can use bones for facial animation , too. but i dont think it is really better.
keep it up.. really good start in my eyes

rsalonen
02-24-2002, 11:45 PM
Like it allot, can't wait to see it textured :D

How did you model it? Splines, NURBS, box?
And what software?

I'm new to 3dsmax so I need to learn all kinds of tecniques.

empleh
02-25-2002, 08:03 PM
Thanks Felix. I couldn't figure out what it was that bothered me most about the model untill I read your reply and realized how flat the face was. I had a front and side reference photo to work with but no angle. I think that hurt me in the end pretty bad. I have a lot more reference material for my next project so hopefully the result will be a better. I used 1240 polys, I think most of those are in the ears.

Veqtue, thanks for the reply also. I used Maya. I started with a polygonal plane that had four vertices and went from there extruding edges as I needed to. I built the ears seperatly out of a 10x10 plane and attached them. I think this shows, but it was was the easiest way I could think of. I converted the polymesh to subDs in the end.

ww

Raul-Reznek
02-25-2002, 09:12 PM
Good stuff

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.