PDA

View Full Version : modeling in XSI vs Soft3D

frank
12-13-2001, 07:28 PM
How long would it take for a skilled soft3d modeller to find his way in the XSI modelling tools?

Is it alike or completely different?

Thanks

-Frank

Fat&ugly
12-13-2001, 09:04 PM
It`s very much different. The layout anyways. I tried it for a while because of all the new stuff and better stability but I have gone back to Soft, I think because I`m much more comfortable using it and know where everything is. For me learning XSI was like learning everything over again.
I have heard soft users loving it and never wanting to have to go back.
Hope Ive said something there...Ill post anyways.

sandor
12-17-2001, 10:15 AM
I think it's very similar. I found it easier to get familiar with XSI than i did back when i started with soft 3D. Of course, you have to change your workflow but you have at your disposal, a whole new set of cool tools for both poly and spline modeling that you only dreamed of having in soft 3D ;) And once you get used to them you'd never want to go back to soft 3D. In fact, you'd never want to use NURBS again :D
Anyway, it only took me one or two tutorials to get a feel for modeling in xsi; after that i was very comfortable on my own.

Sandor

Fat&ugly
12-17-2001, 04:20 PM
I stand corrected... I think this means that you are going to have to try XSI out yourself. Then again, maybe it's just me.:(

wlau
12-18-2001, 12:04 AM
Only problem w/ v1.5 is that I honestly cannot believe that there is no weld vertices tool for poly\sub-d modeling.

Luckily, 2.0 addresses this and adds more functions.

The reliance on Soft|3D to provide assistance for XSI is now coming to an end. Nearly all of the great things with Soft|3D are now implemented in XSI and enhanced further.

XSI also allows for a soft|3D workflow somewhat, by allowing new users to use the old soft|3D keys.

grim

dube911
01-15-2002, 11:03 AM
Well I have to admit that the learning curve like every other software out there can be a bit of a struggle..however I think XSI provides one of the best workflow from any packages, I believe that is where the strenght is in XSI...the workflow. The community of XSI is growing everyday and with XSI 2.0 out I'm sure it's only going to get bigger and bigger so what this means is more tutorials, more shaders, more scripts etc. But if your from Softimage 3D I am sure it will only take a couple of tutorials to put yourself back in action!..
cheers
.stef

Lesen_XSI
01-15-2002, 04:36 PM
Having learned on Soft3D and gradually switch to XSI, i would say that the "Workflow" is by far better in XSI.
Has someone said earlier, it is pretty much the same, different workflows
Old-school/New-school........

Tag modeling is unstable a bit in XSI.
Anyone noticed that ?

Lesen

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.