PDA

View Full Version : More Colleges Offering Video Game Courses

RobertoOrtiz
09-24-2005, 07:14 AM
Quote:
"Animation I, Cognition & Gaming and Computer Music are being offered as part of the year-old minor in game studies at RPI, one of dozens of schools that have added courses or degree programs related to video gaming in recent years.
RPI, which plans to offer a major in the field next year, graduated 27 gaming minors in its first year and expects a jump this year.

"The concept of designing good video games, or designing good human-computer interactions that's what I'm interested in," said Chelsea Hash, a senior with a video game minor and a major in electronic arts."

>>Link<< (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050923/ap_on_hi_te/video_game_u;_ylt=Ai2YLjX.Iu875f6sGaxGn5Os0NUE;_ylu=X3oDMTA3cjE0b2MwBHNlYwM3Mzg)

-R

PhilOsirus
09-24-2005, 05:37 PM
I think it's great but at the same time I'm afraid there will be a massive amount of people with false expectationsthat will come out of most programs of such nature (me being part of one myself, I can tell). These programs at the moment work well if they are done in partnership with large video game studios who can provide excellent teachers that are still working or closely related to the industry itself since it is a very fast moving industry. The more schools we will see the lesser the quality of the teachers will be and its not easy to find great teachers. And getting into the industry requires one to pass through a narrow door.

Also, I still find it difficult to believe that there is such a thing as a good game design class. We seem to have a lot of trouble figuring out what makes fun games fun to begin with, and even more difficulties making games of such nature without it being considered a risky venture.

PhantomDesign
09-24-2005, 06:17 PM
The video-gaming industry moves so fast that a traditional school couldn't keep up with the industry. If I started an education program in video-game design 4 years ago - how out of date would everything be today? :shrug:

chadmv
09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
Good video game design lasts forever. It's the technology that changes. EA helped USC start this Masters program in Interactive Media, which focuses on design:
http://www-cntv.usc.edu/academic_programs/interactive_media/academic-interactive-home.cfm

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2005, 06:35 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.