PDA

View Full Version : painter IX vastly better than Painter 8 - corel currently has reduced prices

Gord-MacDonald
09-23-2005, 11:29 PM
I have just upgraded from painter 8 to IX - IMHO IX is vastly superior. Corel has a deal until 2005 sept 30 - I don't know, maybe they have them (promotions) all the time. Its worth considering. I am not connected to Corel.

Link: http://www.corel.com/painterix/home/index.html

Gord

Knilblink
09-24-2005, 04:21 AM
I believe that they had an even better deal several weeks or a month ago, somewhere along the lines of $80-100 for an upgrade. I missed it :(

Anyways, Painter 9 does seem vastly superior, I'm just curious when Painter 10 will come out. Any Corel Painter afficionados that recall Painter's release history, more precisely what has been the anverage interval between Painter releases?

My first copy was Corel Painter 8, nearly 2 years ago, although I haven't really gotten 2 years of use out of it. Painter 8 is listed as first being available on February 22nd, 2003. Version 9 was released about a year ago to date.

I really had a blast with the Painter 9 trial edition, but may stick to version 8 until the next release, at which point I'll upgrade day 1. :D

Thanks for giving us a head up on the deal, Gord! *ponder*

Jinbrown
09-24-2005, 08:30 AM
The copyright dates on the following Painter versions are:

Painter IX - 2004 - Corel

Painter 8 - 2003 - Corel

Painter 7 - 2001 - Corel

Painter 6 - 1999 - Metacreations

Painter 5 - 1997 - Fractal Design

Painter 4 - 1995 - Fractal Design

As far as I know, there's been no announcement of Beta testing for the next Painter version and Beta testing takes a few months. As I recall, it took from early 2004 (beginning of Beta testing) until August or September 2004 until the Painter IX software final release.

Gord-MacDonald
09-26-2005, 05:16 PM
I believe that they had an even better deal several weeks or a month ago, somewhere along the lines of $80-100 for an upgrade. I missed it :(

That inexpensive and I missed it?!
DOH!!!

Gord

Jinbrown
09-26-2005, 06:27 PM
Gord,

Check this page. It looks like they've extended the offer. I just checked a minute ago and the prices are the same as the "weekend" prices:

Corel Painter - Reduced Prices (http://store.corel.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&currency=USD&jspStoreDir=CorelUS&partNumber=OL_PF09&catalogId=10103&ddkey=SetCurrencyPreference)

Knilblink
09-26-2005, 11:52 PM
Hey Jin, I really appreciate that breakdown. I've been interested in seeing exactly that for a while now, just haven't done the research yet. :)

Thanks!

Jinbrown
09-27-2005, 12:27 AM
You're welcome!

The only reason I could "do the research" is that I have all of those versions but Painter 4 installed on my computer and all of their User Guides sitting next to me (all except Painter IX, that is, which I haven't bought yet).

Gord-MacDonald
09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
JinBrown - Looks like you have been using this technology from the beginning.

wow this tool has come along way. IMO Corels' contracting of the original developers of Fractal Design, to create "Painter" has got to have been one of Corels smartest moves.

Gord

ps: I think the link you added for hurricane relief is right on! I have added the same link to my signature.

CGTalk Moderation
09-28-2005, 05:20 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.