PDA

View Full Version : Using SOFTIMAGE .PIC Files

NeptuneImaging
09-23-2005, 07:36 PM
Yesterday i was working on a model and I started to notice that my interaction was slowing down quite alot when I moved in a viewport. I was using a psd file (at least 4). Then I started using PIC files, and I had started to notice how small the files were even with all of the layering i did.

Now the question i have is, is it suitable for texture work?

StefanA
09-23-2005, 09:21 PM
I never use PSD files inside XSI, just because of the fact that you said. I recommend using *.sgi or *.tif instead. I stopped using SoftimagePIC files a while ago due to lack of support with other programs, and SoftimagePIC files also takes a longer time to import in various applications.

regards
stefan andersson

Splin
09-23-2005, 09:25 PM
You mean if .pic is suitable for texturing? Answer is yes, .pic is just lossless compressed format.
Altough I would use uncompressed format for my workflow.
Altough, the best format above others what is with very good features is .map format. Every .psd textures, if I have them how I like em, before the whole thing goes to rendering, I would convert them to .map. That can save rendering times & memory load often in hughe scale.

NeptuneImaging
09-23-2005, 09:50 PM
It is there a script that wil comvert my PSD's to MAP format? Because I am going to be designing a short film and I wil need a lot of the memory for rendering the entire animation with GI and stuff....

I started stamping my UV's as PIC files. and working in photoshop and saving a progress PSD and the final as a PIC. But if converting my PSD's to MAP are available, how would I go about that?

Thanks dudes.

Splin
09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
It is there a script that wil comvert my PSD's to MAP format? Because I am going to be designing a short film and I wil need a lot of the memory for rendering the entire animation with GI and stuff....

I started stamping my UV's as PIC files. and working in photoshop and saving a progress PSD and the final as a PIC. But if converting my PSD's to MAP are available, how would I go about that?

Thanks dudes.

In xsibase there are couple of useful tools posted. Namely one has gui what allows you to convert entire folder of files to map. I am too busy to look for the links right now, sry. Plus always you could do it via command line. That link I found from my bookmarks:
http://www.xsibase.com/forum/index.php?board=12;action=display;threadid=14272;start=15

# To convert the entire content of folder to map file, run this command:
Code:
for %i in (*.ext) do imf_copy %i %~ni.map map rgba_fp
# You can insert -p between imf_copy and %i to get pyramidal pre-filtering.
# You can also omit the option block, will convert the files as they are to .map.

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 10:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.