PDA

View Full Version : Little Action Figure Robot

nuclearbum
09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Hello Peoples!

I'm working on this robot here for a friend who's making a custom game (including the 3d engine, using directx, of course since i don't think it's practical to make custom linear transformation functions and matrices) featuring 4 elements that make a game awesome: Robots, Pirates, Zombies, and Ninjas.

So the concept of this game is a toy store, and you're a toy robot. So i hope it looks "toyish" or at least action figure-ish. better yet i hope it looks like a robot. yeah, first get that down, hehe. I tried merging pieces from toys, movies, video games for the concept. Lot'sa influences (and yes, i like mega man.)

Ok so i figure if i post some stuff up and get some feed back, it'll help keep me focused on finishing this guy off, so that he can have a playable demo with this character in it :)

Texture map is 512 x 512.
Poly count is a bit high.... 796.... i know, i need to limit myself more.

no normal maps cuz i'm a high poly guy, i don't know this "gaming" technology stuff.

leave any tips or suggestions, comments or other animation ideas, etc. I guess you can just say hi too...

Morning excersize
http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/%7Etespirit/game/robot_textured_lq.jpg

He'sa walking!
http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/%7Etespirit/game/walk.gif

He'sa shooting some ginormous blast. or maybe those spring release missles that the comercials always got to knock down things, but in practice you were lucky if it had enough speed to get out of the cannon.
http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/%7Etespirit/game/front.gif

aeres
09-23-2005, 03:45 PM
Cute little bugger :D

love the animation cycles. A little suggestion for the firing anim would be to have him open up his visor with his hands rather than having it go up on its on, but then that would make the animation look wierd if it is repeated many times...So I would do away with the visor dropping gag.

dpizzle
09-23-2005, 06:50 PM
simple but very cool
i like the animations
very nice secondary motion on the visor
:thumbsup:

nibbuls
09-24-2005, 05:17 AM
Mmmm... 4Elements.

Good job on it. :)

Panupat
09-24-2005, 06:04 AM
i really like your animation.

xX_eXiGe_Xx
09-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Looks totaly great in my opinion :thumbsup:

Valandar
09-24-2005, 09:02 AM
I actually disagree with Aeres. The visor dropping adds just that much more character to an otherwise standard animation type, and emphasizes the "cute" nature of the character.

And I assume by '796' you mean 7960, or was that just sarcasm on yur part about "high poly" :D

Can we see wires of this cool little guy, please? :D

Psyk0
09-24-2005, 02:32 PM
Nice work, the visor going down is a great idea (like he's shielding himself from the blast :D)

One thing that bugs me is the shoulder: other joints appear mechanical because of the way they were rigged (detached from parent body part), but i see some deformation on the shoulder which makes the arm look organic. Just a detail i guess.

7K on the model? i dunno where those polys went but i thought it was way lower than that! great anims too.

nibbuls
09-24-2005, 06:31 PM
Nooo....

The model is 796 polygons. ;)

796 is very low.

nuclearbum
09-24-2005, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the replies!

Psyk0 - yeah, something up with the arms. I was thinking about putting like a shoulder pad thing to make it look like the arm goes into a socket.

The poly count is 796, not 7960, hehe, i was being a little sarcastic. Me and my friend hold the belief that having many low poly characters on the screen makes for more fun game play and possibilities than only having a couple nice looking models that makes for a limited type of game play.

here's the wire:
http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/%7Etespirit/game/robot_wire.gif

and also here's a 360 rotation view with textures, cuz i just realized that i have no pictures of the back.
360 Rotation (Divx required to view) (http://ieng9.ucsd.edu/%7Etespirit/game/robot360_textured.avi)

DeathNinja
09-24-2005, 10:09 PM
"I fricken love this little dude" :scream:
But I do have one little suggestion on the fireing animation I think it would make more sence to have the head visor come down befor it fires. Like its trying to protect its eyes from the blast.

aeres
09-25-2005, 07:26 AM
Ah looks like Not everyone agrees with me. Nonetheless I still think the animation looks great. As for the wires...I though tri-fans (on the knees) are generally avoided in low poly moldeing because it causes rendering issues with game engines?

nuclearbum
09-25-2005, 09:55 PM
I haven't heard that, but then again, i'm a high poly modeller hobbiest, so I'm not up to par with any standards :( The triangle fan is mainly just to round out the front like the top of a sphere, though i might spare a poly or two to make it clearner :)

The animations are taken directly from the viewport, so that's what it looks like in real time with smax's default lighting, but the real test will be when it's ported into the game.

Thanks for the advice, i'll run some tests on it to see how noticable any rendering artifacts are.

D.N. - yeah, it's kinda an issue i've been having, i don't think i'm getting the effect that it's falling down due to the blast. i might see about making it look anticipated since the oposite isn't very clear.

CGTalk Moderation
09-25-2005, 09:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.