PDA

View Full Version : Editing joint orients upstream of skin clusters

Ashford
09-23-2005, 04:13 AM
Hi folks!

I have a wee problem:

I have inherited the rigging job for a character. It has already been boned, and weights painted, and they're looking pretty good. The thing is, whoever put the joints in didn't bother to zero out the rotations on the joints, and the axes are all over the place.

I'm not a big fan of weight painting, especially if somebody else has done the job. What I'm after is ways I might be able to keep the skin clusters for the skeleton (and therefore the already painted weights), zero the joints orientations, and reapply the weights, maybe by changing things upstream of the skin clusters?

I also have my doubts that exporting weight maps for this character would work as its multiple poly pieces that have been combined into one piece before skinning. Then again, that's just my guess on Maya's export weights tool.

Setting up the orientations shouldn't be a problem. Ideally, I'd like to do all this without having to export weight maps as I haven't had much luck with it in the past, but if somebody can give me an effective way of doing so without having to go over the weights again, that'd be great too.

Any help that can be offered would be much appreciated!

Thanks again,

Matt Hicks

niralrajani
09-23-2005, 08:50 PM
HI ashford

friend you need to detsch dking re orient axis and bind it again since this info is stored in bindPose node...but yeh insted of using maya weight transfer u may use "aeskinweight" or comet to transfer the weights...the work on funda of per vertices weight....similar to copy weight default in maya...try it out i use comet in such sitution no worry of UV's
if need more help email me on .....niralrajani@gmail.com

Ashford
09-23-2005, 10:49 PM
Hi niralrajani!

Thanks for your answer. I'll give your method a go, and see how I get on. If I'm stuck still stuck, I'll flick you a mail.

Thanks again!

Matt Hicks

plunq
09-26-2005, 08:59 PM
Hi Ashford,

Another solution is Michael Comet's resetSkinJoint plugin... http://www.comet-cartoons.com/toons/

you can hide your mesh, reorient any and all joints in your skeleton, select all joints that affect your mesh and run Michael's script.

Just another great plugin by Michael Comet!

Ashford
09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Plunq!

Thanks for your post. Just managed to complete the work yesterday as it turned out. In the end I used another Comet tool, CometSaveWeights, which did the job wonderfully. Sounds like I'll have to check out resetSkinJoints as well. Thanks for putting me onto it!

Matt Hicks

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 10:28 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.