PDA

View Full Version : VIDEO EDITING CARD- edition dv500 or Pro one RTDV vs someting else?

shoutaway
11-09-2002, 03:38 PM
Hi guys

I'm going to buy a video editing card. I have been reading hundreds of reviews on the net. However I can't really decide which one I should go for.

Ok. Here's my current spec.
[computer]
ASUS a7v 133
AMD Athlon 900mhz
768MB RAM
Geforce 3 Ti 200 gfx card
40g / 20g HD (both 7200rpm)
CD-RW
DVD ROM..etc.
[Camera]
Panasonic NV-DJ1 3CCD miniDV cam 6mm(no dv in/out)

I was thinking about getting Pinnacle edition DV500. But someone recommended Pro one RTDV(reason was 'realtime dv preview').

A couple of days ago I saw the DV storm 2 review and it seems it's very powerful. The problem is it's doesn't support my motherboard. :hmm:
I saw Edition dv500 on the special offer the other day. And It was GBP399 inc.VAT. Hmm... I sent an email to pinnaclesys UK to ask that speacial deal week ago but no response so far.
I'm also on the tight budget.

Can anyone recommend a video editing card most suitable for my current spec?

Thanks in advance

p.s does anyone use edition dv500 or Pro one RTDV here?

Conni
11-09-2002, 10:09 PM
Hi,
I have the Asus A7V Mainboard, not the 133 version and the Pinnacle DV500 DVD. When I pluged in the video editing card, I was unable to boot or to install winxp. Then I decided to buy another system, a P4 with Intel chipset. Now the card works without any problems.
Before you buy any editing card you should ask your shop, in case it won't work in your system that you will be able to return the card.
When you buy the dv 500, you should chose the dvd version (dv 500 dvd). It also has hardware mpg 2 compression on board.
I hope this helps...

shoutaway
11-10-2002, 11:47 AM
Hi Conni

I went to pinnacle web site and have found compatible motherboard list.

ASUS A7V / A7V133 AMD Athlon VIA Apollo KT133(A)

They say it's compatible. But if you had a problem with A7V then I guess A7V133 could be incompatible with dv500.

By the way edition dv500 doesn't have hardware mpg 2 compression on board unlike dv500 dvd?

cheers

Conni
11-10-2002, 02:46 PM
Hi,
I honestly don't know if the old model has mpg 2 compression onboard. On the pinnacle webpage they say, the dvd version is optimzed for dvd production. Here in Germany the dv 500 dvd is the newest version. When I bought the card, adobe premiere 6 and impression dvd se (dvd authoring software) was included. I believe, now premiere 6.5 is included.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.