PDA

View Full Version : Help!

Darko11
09-23-2005, 01:08 AM
Hey everyone,

I have this ant model that I've been wanting to animate for awhile. I'm knowledgeable of modeling and texturing but have never gotten into rigging and animating. I have a few questions:

What's the best way to go about setting up the rig? Is their a plugin that works best? I hear alot about Final Rig, is that the best out there?

I've seen so many different tutorial approaches so I thought I'd ask around what is the best way.

Any info is much appreciated! Thanks!

revilo3D
09-25-2005, 04:07 PM
i would recommend learning the basic rig setup.

i think something like this could happily live with a fk skeleton and simple iks on the legs..

2 points 2 note as i have learnt - make sure you local rotation axis point down the joint on the IK chained joints.

second(please anybody correct me if im wrong here! certain about 0 with rigging) i recommend creating groups(oriented to the joint) with inside a controller with frozen tranforms then driving the joint via constraint <orient for FK><translate(parent) for ik>. so you can then lock up the rig and only touch the controls :)

you can then further more make a charcter set for each controller icon you made.

pretty nice and simple for getting your little critter moving.

you can then cut the geo of your ant into pieces for each body section and parent these the the joints.

ietra
09-25-2005, 04:10 PM
Cool model! The only problem w/using Final Rig or most other pre-baked rigging solutions is that they're geared towards bipeds/quadrupeds, which (I think) have different limb articulation than insects. You're probably better off going through some basic Maya tutorials (like the built-in online help) on creating joints and simple IK chains to get a feel for how rigging generally works. Once you have a grasp on the basics, the pre-scripted solutions will also start to make more sense.

The good news is that since ants don't have skin that has to stretch and deform over bones, you can probably get away with very simple rigid binding, or even just parenting your geometry directly to joints. Other than the fact that it has six legs to deal with, an ant is probably a good choice for starting off.

Don't get too hung up on "the right way" to rig -- as you probably know from texturing, etc, there's never one right way. Just jump in and have fun.

niralrajani
09-26-2005, 06:12 AM
hi
there comes a model lib with maya 6 noward u can get bone setup of spider in that and can get idea of bon setup for ant once its done i think u can animate it with basic ik setup for legs....
Niral

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 06:12 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.