PDA

View Full Version : WIP M4 Rifle (Next Gen)

RomanS
09-22-2005, 10:00 PM
In my rare spare time I decided to make an M4 rifle with all the cool toys. Was trying to achieve to next gen quality. The entire model is 7,000 polys with all the accesories. ACOG, SUREFIRE, M203 (still working on it)

This is not for any game, but just an atempt to make a next gen model at home.

Enjoy

http://img60.imageshack.us/img60/6932/m49hu.jpg
http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/7465/m4wire0ct.jpg[

PhilOsirus
09-22-2005, 10:10 PM
It's a nice model but you could get rid of a lot of tris on the front grip or whatever it's called (for the grenade launcher). Leave that up to normal mapping.

As for the textures, there seem to be scratches in areas where there would usually be none. The whole "scratches on the rims" (excuse my english) has been used to avoid noticeable tiling, but in fact there is no reason why paint would peel off in areas that are never in contact with anything. Guns usually stay in good conditions.

AdamAtomic
09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
Neat! The green tape is obviously a photorip, it looks very out of place, as the lighting is not consistent with the rest of the model. Otherwise it looks cool, as if M4's were being used in Star Wars or something :) nice job!

EDIT - the tape on the grip is alright, at least with the lighting you've used, but it is all wrong on the stock tape.

Ghostscape
09-22-2005, 10:12 PM
This looks absolutely gorgeous.

The only thing that isn't perfect, imho, is the scratches on the receiver...I can't see what would happen to it that would cause that sort of damage but keep the gun functional.

Bazooka Tooth
09-22-2005, 11:01 PM
Woah, this is awesome. This gun has a lot of character. I dont know enough about next gen specs to comment on that, but this gun is awesome. What size texture map are you using?

neocron
09-23-2005, 02:51 AM
Oh wow that is fantastic, what is the texture size on that?

ArchangelTalon
09-23-2005, 03:35 AM
Very, very nice texture work.

I'm definitely not sold on the green tape on the stock, though.

How much of the lighting/effects are baked?

proudclod
09-23-2005, 05:32 AM
I love it =) Is the tape on the magazine normalmapped? I can't quite tell... but You'd be very well off with a normal map =)

Wokky
09-23-2005, 08:03 AM
It's a nice model but you could get rid of a lot of tris on the front grip or whatever it's called (for the grenade launcher). Leave that up to normal mapping.

I'd have to disagree with you there, normal mapping isn't exactly particularly effective from shallow angles, and the grip is far too pronounced for it to look good from a first-person perspective if normal mapped.

Synthesizer
09-23-2005, 06:46 PM
That's looking great :thumbsup: I agree with there being a bit too many scratches, but they are done very well. What might help the tape is if you dirtied the edges up and maybe had it bunching up on the edges. The orange on the stock is a bit too saturated for me, and the tape seems out of place. Using the same texture pattern as the tape on the clip might help, as well as applying my other crit here. Keep up the good work.

TheRedemption
09-23-2005, 06:49 PM
wow, that is sweet, nice texture work but i agree with the whole tape thing, what excatly is it there for? im not sure if id want to use a gun that had tape all over it :/

Loveless
09-26-2005, 01:26 AM
Hey, great model! A friend of mine, Vice, noticed a couple things wrong about the gun, however.

1) No hammer or auto sear pin
2) Bolt isn't seated
3) Bottom of the bolt stop is incorrect
4) Receiver pins should be flush with the receiver, and not indented
5) No front trigger-guard pin.
6) Buffer tube is too thin
7) Charging handle latch is incorrect...no cutout on the upper for it to lock into.
8) Stock is missing the locking rod.
9) Angle of the slant on the bottom-right corner of the magazine is too great.
10) No way the M203 could stay on.
11) No way the Surefire could stay on
12) It seems like trademarks and fire-indicators would at least be somewhat visible, given they're engraved, and not painted.
13) 203 receiver is too short
14) No charging handle latch retaining pin
15) 203 receiver is missing striker and sear pins.
16) The Part of the upper driectly above the front receiver pin is supposed to be milled away. ( http://autoweapons.com/photosn/post451a.jpg )

- Derek

RomanS
09-26-2005, 08:00 AM
Thanks for all the critique guys

Couple of things

The buttstock wont be seen in a game, so ignore it. It will probably be even deleted from the model since you will never see it ingame.

The green tape on the mag is used by several SF operators in Afghanistan, Iraq. I got friends there with photos with the real thing.

There is no tiling anywhere on the model. The photos were taken off a real M4 that I painted myself with a real paint using photos from friends in Afghanistan. I was thinking about adding geometry on a tape. But since I dont have a next gen engine, I can't tell if it would look to fake ingame. Im sure if it did I would model the actual ductape on the mag.

203 is still being worked on actually. I'm gonna be borrowing my friend's demiled M203 soon on his M4 for more accurate remodeling and texturing.

But thanks for comments all, appreciate em a lot.

I soon should finish my ak. I will post work in progress.

kOmoo
09-26-2005, 08:26 AM
Great texture, but there could have a little least polys on the silencer and the launcer, i don't like the color of the green tape, it should be black.

Loveless
09-26-2005, 08:37 AM
Green tape is fine....100 MPH tape (and there's 90 mile per hour tape) = olive-drab military duct tape.

Question about the tape on the magazines...in the pictures I've seen, the tape is usually oriented towards the bottom of the mag, so they can tape a loop of 550-cord to the magazines and thus create a field-expedient "magpull". So, why the tape in the middle? Not doubting you, just wondering.

Ps...shame you left MilPhotos... ;)

thrawn83
09-26-2005, 09:28 AM
This looks awesome! 100% beliveable (from a gamer's/artist's point of view, 'cause I never held an actual M4 in my hands)! Although orange seems to be a bit freaky for a rifle I think it works great here.
Is there a chance that we can see the textures (diff+spec) and your UV layout? I'd be very interested!

PS: can anyone introduce me to the secret of using ductape on weapons? I mean I get the point of taping two mags together for faster reload...
Don't tell me the rifle is broken in some parts that's why soldiers tend to tape'em?! ;)
just curious.

Sa74n
09-26-2005, 02:59 PM
looks awesome! i'd like to see the texture flats of it though.

BakerCo
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
Nice job could we see some texture sheets?

Lost...

CGTalk Moderation
09-26-2005, 03:58 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.