PDA

View Full Version : TFT Monitor for 3D (Maya)

MiguelSilva
09-22-2005, 07:13 PM
Can you guys tell me which one of this 2 monitors should i buy. Im divided between:

Model 1704FPV

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpvt/EN/about.htm#Specifications (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpvt/EN/about.htm#Specifications)
(http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpvt/EN/about.htm/lSpecifications)

Screen type Active matrix - TFT LCD Screen dimensions 17 inches (17-inch viewable image size) Preset display area:
Horizontal
337 mm (13.3 inches)
Vertical
270 mm (10.6 inches) Pixel pitch 0.264 mm Viewing angle 178° (vertical) typ, 178° (horizontal) typ
Luminance output 280 CD/m ²(typ)
Contrast ratio 1000 to 1 (typ)
Faceplate coating Antiglare with hard-coating 3H
Backlight CCFL (4) edge light system Response Time 25ms typical

And

Model 1704FPT

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications (http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/monitors/1704fpt/EN/about.htm#Specifications)

Screen type Active matrix - TFT LCD Screen dimensions 17 inches (17-inch viewable image size) Preset display area:
Horizontal
337 mm (13.3 inches)
Vertical
270 mm (10.6 inches) Pixel pitch 0.264 mm Viewing angle 130° (vertical) typ, 140° (horizontal) typ
Luminance output 300 CD/m ²(typ)
Contrast ratio 500 to 1 (typ)
Faceplate coating Antiglare with hard-coating 3H
Backlight CCFL (4) edge light system Response Time 12 ms typical

Resuming:
The 1704FPT is faster (12ms) and the 1704FPV is slower (26ms) but with a 1000:1 ratio contrast and a wider viewing angle.

Which one is better for 3D?

P.s. Im not gonna play games.

Elekko
09-22-2005, 08:49 PM
As far as I know. If you are wanting to work with 3D I would choose a CRT-monitor instead of a TFT-monitor. Basicly it has something to do with better "black and with color" system or something.... not a pro on this.

UrbanFuturistic
09-22-2005, 11:18 PM
A contrast ratio of 500:1 should be mor than adequate, not to mention that the FPT is brighter and, all things considered, 26ms response time would be irritating even if you're not playing games.

'course, you're not going to get a brilliant degree of colour accuracy out of it but unless you're doing print work I shouldn't think this'd be a problem.

regards, Paul

MiguelSilva
09-23-2005, 10:01 AM
Thx for the replys.

So there will be ghosting while working in Maya. :sad: I thought the ghost was only visible in games.

deathman20
09-23-2005, 04:47 PM
Thx for the replys.

So there will be ghosting while working in Maya. :sad: I thought the ghost was only visible in games.

The 25ms monitor will seem slow. Its very possible to see your cursor having a "tail" goign across your screen if you move it fast enough. The slower response the more you see it, and anything rated these days anything thats over 16ms isn't recommened.

Komarcic
09-24-2005, 08:12 AM
The 25ms monitor will seem slow.

Exactly. for multimedia, it's important to have a monitor with good colors and good response time. 25ms is very slow. 12ms maximum IMHO

MiguelSilva
09-24-2005, 10:44 AM
Do you guys think the 1704FPT is a good monitor?
Thanks for all the help.

thomaspecht
09-24-2005, 11:25 AM
are you sure that 1280x1024 at max on a screen smaller than a 19 inch CRT will be sufficient for maya? the maya ui wastes lots of screenspace and requires you quite often to push around a pile of windows. seems like 1600x1200 or some tft wide resolution would be a better fit. what are you using now?

MiguelSilva
09-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Youre right thats why im buying 2 :)
Right now Im using 2 CRT monitores (17" @ 1280x1024 / 15" @ 1024x768). Im changing to TFT because of the freespace that i need, and of course because i cant spend more than 3 hours looking at this one at this distance after 8 hours in the office looking at one as well.
1600x1200 would be a good option, but not with my low budget.:sad:

Another thing that bothers me is why 90% of the reviews are made from gamers and the rest from sellers. Arent the artists reviewing? I never thought that it would by so difficult to buy a simple monitor.

P.s.
Sorry my bad english.

thomaspecht
09-24-2005, 02:48 PM
ah ok, i thought you wanted to go single screen. yes, two 17 inch tfts should make for a very comfortable workspace.
i can't offer advice on those tfts mentioned, all i know is the apple cinema display (which is awesome) and some sgi tft monitors (sony and lg rebranded - also very good). but indeed, i find the monitor is one of the most important parts of a computer system and thus it's really hard to find the right thing.

reviews are often a joke, imho. regardless of what is reviewed there's often that hype about a new toy involved. with computer parts, especially screens and hard disks, what's really important to me is the longevity/durability and that's hardly covered in any review about recent products.

in general, i'm not so sure about dell quality. if i was looking at tft's i'd rather check out iiyama, sony, lg or rebranded stuff from ibm, sun, hp, sgi. that's usually proven hardware - but not exactly cheap. ;)

MiguelSilva
09-24-2005, 02:59 PM
I agree with you, but like i've said, my budget is realy low. This 2 tfts will "only" cost me around 500 euros.

Dont you think its a bargain? The question now is: does it worth 500 euros?

stephen2002
09-24-2005, 03:32 PM
I have been using a ViewSonic monitor with a 25ms response time for about two years now and while I do notice the ghosting, espeically with areas of heavy contrast, it does not bother me too much. I game, do 3D, video edit,watch movies, etc on this screen.

Slow response times are most often talked about when dealing with games because of the fast pase of action as well as often high contrast environments. Ghosting is even noticable viewing web pages, espeically CGTalk due to the grey on grey. If you scroll smoothly (by dragging the scroll bar) everything streaks a little bit. So basically if you are sensitive to ghosting then you will see it everywhere.

Color reporduction is generally fine as long as you don't do print work. Even then, a CRT is only as good as it's calibration. Since I never do anything for print, and when I do I'm printing on a printer where I know the difference between my screen and my rather crappy printer, so I can adjust accordingly before printing.

MiguelSilva
09-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Still havent decided. :shrug:
Ill probably buy the 12ms with less contrast. I was hopping to see a post from someone with a Dell TFT, but looks like Im not so lucky.

deathman20
09-28-2005, 02:50 PM
I have a Dell LCD. Mines just a 12ms one, and a big one at that.

MiguelSilva
09-28-2005, 08:03 PM
I was referring to one of the models that I've mentioned.:)

Anyone with a 1704FPV or FPT?

falkaholic
09-28-2005, 08:08 PM
I would got for the 12ms. You'll thank yourself in a year or so. I just got a 12ms myself, much better, never goign to CRTs again!

MiguelSilva
09-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Ok, now im lost...
Are you talking about the 1704FPT or another monitor with 12ms?

FabioMSilva
09-29-2005, 12:12 PM
i've got 2 of 19 inches, one TFT and one CRT, both of the same seller(work with 3dsmax).

i usually prefer tft for doing modeling since the image is so much sharp than in the crt, and for watching videos & animation i use crt. for color checking, i watch how it looks in both.

stangely enough, i dont have problems of ghosting in myne tft at all, and it was dirty cheap. and if it does, just swap the application to the other one & voila.

it can take u some time to get used to 2 monitors with slightly different color range, but now i'm so used to it i couldnt live without it.

MiguelSilva
09-29-2005, 12:21 PM
it can take u some time to get used to 2 monitors with slightly different color range, but now i'm so used to it i couldnt live without it.

Im used to it, one of my CRTS is very old, so the different color range is not a prob for me :)
I just dont now if the 13ms difference make much of a difference in Maya, and does the 1000:1 vs the 500:1 look a great deal better?

Só agora é que reparei que eras português :)
Abraço

Thank u all for the help shown so far.

FabioMSilva
09-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Só agora é que reparei que eras português :)
Abraço

Thank u all for the help shown so far. ^_^tb n tinha notado!

[][][

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2005, 02:23 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.