PDA

View Full Version : Interface

KotsVlok
11-09-2002, 11:44 AM
Hi there,

I registered yesterday here on this fantastic forum, it's really fantastic.
I've been watching this forum 4 allong time though, but now i made something; and i would like some hard critics on it.
I work with photoshop 4 maybe uhhh...1 year i think?....but who cares, i just want some critics on this image i made:

http://members.lycos.nl/uploadah/gallery01/gtainterface.jpg

Ian Jones
11-09-2002, 12:39 PM
Quite nice. Not a bad job at all. The general look of it is very clean and proffesional. I do have some critique for you though.

I personally don't like the overall form. That's my opinion, but I'll try and back it up with some more practical design ideas. Basically, I think the buttons are too big. The overall interface looks like the same sort of 'chunkyness' you'd see whenever you picked up a kids toy. See what I mean? That is what I associate it with. Yes, that does matter... because I don't think I'm generalizing when I say that almost everyone will have a similar reaction... whether they realize it or not.

I geuss it just says 'irrelevant space' to me... when I see big thick borders around the content area. They don't seem to do anything. Except look chunky. Their apparent visual weight, really depends on the content inside the inner circle. So due to the fact that nothing really grabs my attention or has any physical weight or visual weight inside the circle to balance out against a 'heavy' attention demanding border, the subsequent feeling is that the border has more prominence. This is different to my previous reason about the psychological associaton with 'chunky', 'smooth and friendly', 'kidsafe' type of form. It is different when I am talking about visual weight. Just wanted to make that distinction clear.

I do compliment you though... because for the visual weight of the button panel, the thickness of the picture content window is just perfect. The thickness is exactly the right amount. Imageine a skimpy little thin border around it. It just wouldn't go, would it? That tells me you have a good understanding, or intuition about space/weight/form that I can associate with. I have been told that I have a good sense of space, composition and form... and I like to rationalize why. So I think in terms of 'balance', you have done well.

So the balance is right. But I think the concept needs refining.
What I think you need is a much sleeker, efficient and subtly sophisticated interface, to match the GTA subject matter. So in practical terms, I guess you need thinner forms with less weight and a more efficient use of button space. I point out the spaces below and just above and to the right of the GTA text. These would have been difficult to 'fill' or work with when you were designing it. I bet that is one reason you placed the content cirle o the top left of the button panel, so that it would eat up as much of this blank space as possible. I dunno, I'm babbling now, but I hope you get what I mean.

Personally I would scrap the circular idea. It says 'round' and 'chunky' to me, which isn't what you want for GTA. The circular form isn't easy to work with, but if you could pull it off well then it would work brilliantly. So give it go.

The materials, and the way it looks is appealing. I think that works well. Shiny and reflective things almost always can be associated with sleek and advanced. The buttons have a really nice amount of lighting. Well done.

The image inside the content area is a little unappealing. due to a couple of reasons. The colours look a bit muddy and depressing, because they are faded. Aswell as being quite hard to work out what it is (I don't play GTA, so that's probably why). You could try to tie it together with the buttons by using a blue. Perhaps by colorizing the image blue. That would tie it together with the rest of the interface some more.

The GTA text, could perhaps be a little more interesting. A little more intricate, textured a teeny bit... but very subtly. jsut to add some more interest and sophistication (I like that word, don't I!). :)

Ok, well that's all I can think of. I tried my hardest to pick it apart. Hope you don't mind. I think it is a great, I'm jsut try to help you make it even better.

Hope that helps. :D

KotsVlok
11-09-2002, 01:20 PM
Wooow....!! :eek:
Thank you 4 for the very long critic on my image, you have improved my inspiration big time!...allot of things you said were after i thought about it indeed very good things that i could change/edit about it.
When i got the time, i will improve as much as i can

Once again, thanks ;)

//Forgive me if my english is bad :(

finalfantast
11-09-2002, 02:16 PM
it looks very nice, only I would make the rounding with the picture in it smallers and the rounding with the buttons bigger. It really is nice :buttrock:

KotsVlok
11-09-2002, 02:17 PM
hehee...thnx m8 ;)

KotsVlok
11-09-2002, 08:36 PM
Update: I added some texture to it :)

Ian Jones
11-10-2002, 12:35 AM
Glad I could help.

Think about what I said for your next interface perhaps. I don;t mean for you to change it totally, unless you want to.

I like the new texture, subtle and effective. I hate brushed metal when it is really deep and obvious. Having a lower profile, and a thinner grain is much more realistic.

Keep it up.

Michael Chen
11-10-2002, 08:14 PM
Not bad :)

In my opinion:

1) I think the reflection (image) in the middle should be lightened at bit more (or decrease the opacity). It sticks out too much, unless that was your intension.

2) since most of the colors you used was black, white, and grey, U shouldn't really introduce pink. Because it doesn't really fit in.

3) But the shadow was done very well.

Overall it's still very good :)

KotsVlok
11-11-2002, 03:44 PM
Thnx ;)

And about that pink color, that was my intension because on all the things GTA VC is promoted, Vice City is always in a pink color, so it would be a uhm...kinda trustfull thing to see; if ya know what i mean :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.