PDA

View Full Version : 3ds Max Poly Boost 2.0

xeav
09-22-2005, 07:06 AM
-Link- (http://www.polyboost.com/)

http://static.highend3d.com/newsimages/18/polyboost.jpg

http://www.polyboost.com/Images/Gifs/PolyDraw.gifhttp://www.polyboost.com/Images/Gifs/PolyStrips.gifhttp://www.polyboost.com/Images/Gifs/PolyShapes.gifhttp://www.polyboost.com/Images/Gifs/Border.gifhttp://www.polyboost.com/Images/Gifs/GeoPoly.gif

erikals
09-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Pretty cool, if only i wasn't a Lightwaver.. :)

strangelife
09-22-2005, 08:55 PM
Downloading the upgrade now. Haven't had a chance to see the whole 2.0 video, but if it's anything like the earlier releases, I'm sure it's more good news for modellers.

LetterRip
09-23-2005, 01:05 AM
Looks like a pretty significant improvement, I've been contemplating doing some of these things for Blender.

If the author is reading - he should really do tiling for the painting and only reproject onto the model the updated tiles. Also when the artists paintbrush is idle you can project a tile onto the model - that way you won't have any long delays when you want to rotate the model again.

Also you should consider allowing your projection to be stored and edited in photoshop. Just store your view matrice and store the image, pretty trivial...

LetterRip

arneltapia
09-23-2005, 01:44 AM
This is a very powerful plugin for Max in addition to its already powerful modeling tools. ***** :thumbsup:

plaguelord
09-23-2005, 01:54 AM
wow, I can´t wait to try it.

the new features are amazing!

used2bgordy
09-23-2005, 10:04 AM
How is it related to new Max 8 release? Is it compatible or to be. 100 bucks is not much but I'd wait for new Max to arrive before releasing this.

DDS
09-23-2005, 10:22 AM
I think the creator (Rivendale) said that it's compatible with max8, so if you purchase this version u'll probably have the max8 version upgrade for free.

DanSilverman
09-23-2005, 11:42 AM
It is a set of scripts and not a plugin, therefore it should work with most versions of MAX from at least v5 and up to and including 8.

Rivendale
09-23-2005, 04:50 PM
Hi people, thanks for the feedback and for posting.:)

Tom Musgrove - Thanks for the suggestions. In Viewport Canvas only the area that has been painted on is projected onto the texture, the rest of the screen is ignored. Your suggestion about continuously projecting onto the model while idle could be good, but would mean some pretty big changes in the code. Send me an email if you'd like to discuss more.

There will be support for max 8 and even though the tools are script based there will be a need for an update wich will be released along with max 8, for free. With that update I will also take the opportunity to fix any issues that comes up now after release, so please send me all your feedback if you have any issues.

Thanks!
CML

mireneye
09-23-2005, 05:32 PM
The master of boosted polys strike again. My favorite and most useful tool in max. I can't see myself using 3dsmax without this tool. It's invaluable to me, I can already sense the insane detail ill be able to create at a much faster and more flexible with great speed now. Im just gonna say Wow, and then shut my mouth and go play with the new toys santa programmed ;).

Thanks a bunch mate for keeping your app in top shape with updated and an affordable price tag.

Cheers

harmonic01
09-23-2005, 05:49 PM
Holy freak'n cow. Wow, Viewport Canvas and UVW tweak tooks just blew my mind. And modeling tools are amazing. WOW

mireneye
09-23-2005, 11:24 PM
Hey, Carl-Mikael I had no idea that you were working in sweden at Starbreez. Man that ought to be awesome. "Är ifrån sverige själv, och om jag vill jobba ngnstans med 3d här i sverige så skulle det va på Starbreez" I really loved Enclave. And im goin to try out Riddick when my finance allows it hehe.

That aside, your creating wonderful tools here, wish you all the best at/with your work, it ought to be truly wonderful.

Cheers

pthomas72
09-24-2005, 01:30 AM
I definitely see Autodesk picking up these functions, there just too valuble not to. as for the polydraw, I was having problems getting the SPLINES to draw continually?

It would be cool if you had every feature laid out on your web page. It took half a day to sell the team on buying it.

you also need a LITE version for free. this seems to sell people much faster than demos. just my 2 cents.

Please dont stop!!!

harshdesign
09-24-2005, 02:10 AM
looks like i'm gonna buy it...sweet...modeling is getting more n more user friendly...which gives digital sculptors to break free and run their imagination wild...cheers

Rivendale
09-24-2005, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

mireneye - Thank you very much(tackar):) Yes Starbreeze is a very nice place to work, huge amounts of talents here and some pretty exciting projects in the pipeline at the moment. Good luck man!

pthomas72 - Thanks a lot, about splines...I guess you're talking about the PolyTopo tool and that issue will be fixed for the next update. The reason this happens is because here is a limit implemented to how far apart knots in the splines can be created, so if you draw too fast this can happen. This is to ensure that to generation of the polygon mesh goes well. It should be possible to increase this limit quite a lot though without sacrificing the quality of the tool so I will implement that in the next update. Until then, you can always go back and "pick up" the line again from where it stopped drawing without releasing the mousebutton, also increasing the "min distance" setting also helps to remove this issue. With the next update you should not notice this though unless you draw really really fast.

cheers!
CML

Rivendale
09-28-2005, 12:16 AM
Hey, I have been working a bit on a new interface for PolyBoost for the next update. It will look and feel a lot nicer I think. The interface can be made lot smaller and setup the way you like it without wasting any screenspace. While the interface is slightly smaller the buttons will actually be slightly larger, making it easier to navigate.

Here is a small video(540kb) showing some of the functionality of the new interface:

http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PB_Interface.avi (http://www.cmlcreative.com/Videos/PB_Interface.avi)

You will be able to save how you want the interface to look on startup of 3ds max and also autoload the PolyBoost interface on startup wich has been requested by a few users. So you can as an example have it startup docked to the left with your chosen rollouts open.

This is still work in progress though and might change slightly, but I would appreciate some feedback on the new interface and any suggestions you have on how to make it better it is welcome.

Cheers,
CML

percydaman
09-28-2005, 12:52 AM
yikes cool new UI. Our studio should be picking up a few copies here real soon. :)

thomaspecht
09-28-2005, 10:45 AM
looks great, especially the multi-version compatibility makes it extremely interesting for me. how about the licensing scheme - do you tie the software to a specific machine or is there a more freelancer-friendly solution available?

Rivendale
09-28-2005, 04:17 PM
Thanks for the feedback!

percydaman - That sounds great!

GIJoe - Thanks, generally PolyBoost is tied to the machine you install it on, so if you need to use it on several machines you will need several licenses.

cheers,
CML

xeav
09-29-2005, 06:30 AM
this new ui rox ! :

Maneswar
09-29-2005, 08:17 AM
Carl-Mikael,

You can easily reduce the number of buttons on the portions of the dialog where you have multiple buttons that are similar and redundant... ex, Pattern 1 to 8 ... you could just create 1 button with an associative spinner next to it, so when you hit the button, the value in the spinner is used to select the proper level... spinner set to 7 and Pattern button pressed results in the same behavior as Pattern7 button being pressed. This can save lots of UI space and allow you to consolidate the interface quite a bit. Another location as an ex, Bitmap Select. Could be 1 button with a spinner, allowing for more options, and you can also incorporate a text output into a text field or something if you so choose on what was selected.

Similarly, you can use a spinner for Grow Ring and Grow Loop, so that when a subobject is selected, Ring pressed, the grow spinner is reset to say 1 for ex, and when adjusted it grows the ring based on the numerical value of the spinner. That way, you eliminate 2 buttons but retain the functionality. Is that what Gr/Shr is doing already?

I don't know your tool really, but interface design can be quite an interesting part of tool design because how you envision the choice of button, radio, checkbox, spinner, text field, all play a big role in how the tool will be used, how the tool interacts and predicts behavior internally, and how flexible you can make the tool.

Just some thoughts :) .. hope you don't mind. By the way, the reduced interface in the PB_Interface video showing the possible futrue layout is fairly nice. Having the dialog grow and change as you need access to various tools is nice, even if it's not always easy :) .

Have any questions in regards to what I said above, drop by the Discreet 3dsmax support forums... I am an FA there.

Maneswar

DanSilverman
09-29-2005, 09:07 AM
I have not got to use it much (yet) but I think that the RING and LOOP functions could be reduced to one button. All that would need to be done is have the end-user select two or more edges (faces, verts) in either the direction of the ring or loop and then press the ONE button. The "direction" of the selection would determine if a LOOP or RING is what is to be selected.

Maybe I am way off on this, but those are my thoughts at this point ;) .

johanflood
12-30-2005, 03:37 PM
looks like a great tool when you look at the videos. I get back when I have tested it.

Rivendale
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
Hello, version 2.2 of PolyBoost is now available for download! Version 2.2 brings Edit Poly modifier support for most of the modelling tools and the Edit tools of PolyDraw. Exsisting users can use the automatic update system to upgrade for free.

Go to the PolyBoost site to download: www.polyboost.com (http://www.polyboost.com/)

The following tools have recieved Edit Poly modifier support. Unless said otherwise these changes will only work with the Edit Poly modifier in 3ds max 8 and above.

InsertVerts
CreatePolygon (also works in 3ds max 7)
GeoPoly
FlowConnect (not spinner)
SetFlow (not spinner)
CenterLoop
InsertOuter
RemoveOuter
RandomConnect
DistanceConnect
BuildEnd
BuildCorner
EndedLoops
CornerLoop
PaintConnect

PolyDraw tools that have recieved support:

Build
Connect
SwiftLoop
Border
Move
Optimizer

Some of the functions in the PolyDraw tools will also work in 3ds max 7, mainly the functions that do not involve cutting edges or moving.

cheers,
CML

CGTalk Moderation
01-30-2006, 01:17 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.