PDA

View Full Version : We should do away with user Post Counts

EricLyman
09-22-2005, 12:37 AM
Seriously. I can see how this is helpful when a forum is new, to help encourage people to chat and continue threads. But over time, and especially when a forum reaches this size, it can actually hinder the forum experience. Some users, IMO, get competitve with their posts and try to out-do each other, which is a senseless thing. If there is one thing that holds true to almost everything (with the exception of vacation time) is that QUANTITY does not equal QUALITY!

Thoughts anyone?

Goon
09-24-2005, 01:14 AM
hey, at least 12 of my posts have been kind of useful. that kind of achievement deserves some respect!

I kinda agree. But at the same time, its useful for noticing how active a user is, how long they've been around, for spotting trolls and spammers, etc.

I think there are enough excellent frontpage level artists with 12 posts around that people are used to the idea that the post count doesn't really matter much as far as the authority and qualifications of the poster.

mummey
09-24-2005, 03:15 AM
Old idea. Not really popular, especially since the post count gives a hint to how long the person has been at CGTalk, hence, how you might respond to the person.

For example, If a poster new and made a mistake, then let them know the policies so they won't make the same mistake again.

If however they have 3k posts and they start flamebaiting, then they're just being an a**hole and are suddenly on the fast track to getting banned.

This can apply in other contexts. I just stated this one as an example.
-b

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2005, 03:15 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.