PDA

View Full Version : Preparing another head model....please advise

rb25_det
09-22-2005, 12:30 AM
hey guys, im about to model my 3rd human head model, in 3 days,.....and im trying to get used to the whole process better.

Ive decided to go for a more realistic, yet anime style character this time, and i have posted a front/side view for the guy i would like to model.

I need someone to give me the go ahead on the reference as im a bit skeptical atm.....i actually ripped a page out of a book, took a photo of the ref., and then edited in photoshop to match, making sure the eyes/lips/forehead etc all match up, i even had to rotate it a little.

One issue i had even after my photoshop editing was.....the eyebrow did not line up at the end going towards the ear....im thinking this is cause it was sketched out?,do you guys still reckon i should go ahead with it, if theres anything ive noticed in all my time modelling, its that pre-po is where you can make or break the model......

Btw, with these type of charaters, i ve had trouble making the eyeball, as their eyes are shaped quite different, and i could never get the eyeball to fit...

Thanks to all in advice, and progress pics will follow as soon as i get go ahead from you guys.

jbo
09-22-2005, 02:36 AM
i've yet to encounter orthos that line up perfectly... even when dealing with car blueprints and such, there are always going to be little things that quite match. this is where you have to step in and decide what works in 3d space. i think you should go ahead.

rb25_det
09-22-2005, 06:44 AM
cheers, ive already started, and ran into the first and hopefully only issue, its the nose in the front view, basically the bottom of the nose, is way too far down,against the side view.

So ive used photoshop to edit, and heres what ive got, what do you guys think?, please check this edited version against the original and tell me what you think.

FabioMSilva
09-22-2005, 11:50 AM
hey rb25_det
i like that book alot:thumbsup:

rb25_det
09-22-2005, 09:33 PM
cheers mate, yeh i like the book alot too, lot of good anime references as well in there:)

Nice WIP you got, im trying to achive the same look as you, very similar style.

Btw what type of modelling method you use box or poly-poly??, im using poly poly, but am having difficulties doing the cranium, and back part of the head, is there a trick to this?the joan of arc tut only brifly discuss this area....

Oh yeh could someone please post a edited version of the side view, with a rough outline of the side/back of head, since the hair is coverin it....i tried but to no avail.

FabioMSilva
09-23-2005, 10:47 AM
hey there:)

some years ago i would do everthing by box modeling, but this method is specially hard on the Face so, now i mainly use box modeling for the body, and poly modeling for the head.
The reason for this, is that is hard to make good edge loops when boxmodeling the face, and the proportions get hard to control as well. On the other hand ,the disvantage of using poly modeling for the face is that is hard to control the cranium. u have to spent a lot of time tweaking that one. with time it will surely improve & get easier tough.

there was this one case i started modeling the head as box modeling, and the ears as poly. in the finished version i had a hybrid of poly+box, since i deleted the frontal part of the face and made it from polymodeling, the rest of the head and body was box, and the ears were poly. This is a very hard way to do things tough, and the results arent the best, so i dont advise anyone to go in this last one's path.

hope it helped :)

CGTalk Moderation
09-23-2005, 10:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.