PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Mover - Nahaz

Nahaz
11-09-2002, 05:38 AM
I'm going to be doing the mover option.

Havn't really planned out my animation yet. All i know for sure it's going to involve a person of limited stature, lifting something slightly beyond their ability. Perhaps a grand piano, or an object containing something "alive" inside.

I'm going to be thinking of something original and funny.

Meanwhile here's a screenprint of my charactor model.

srv
11-09-2002, 05:43 AM
Hey,
nuggety little character, looks great.
He looks like a boxer, is that how he'll move?
His face might be a potential problem though, as you can't use morphs for facial animation. The problem is the same for my character too. If a character has a recognisable face structure, does it look wrong/bad if it does not change expression? Just a question as I haven't decided yes or no yet.

Nahaz
11-09-2002, 05:50 AM
He's a little pugnacious. So yeah he'll move with a self inflated gait. I'm going to have him dealing with a situation where he's bitten off more than he can chew.

I may segment his face a little bit. I'll have to see what, if any facial expressions i'll need, once i've done the storyboards.

Nemises
11-09-2002, 10:24 AM
haha..Little Man syndrome..this'll be a laugh.

A Grand Piano is a cool idea...

Nahaz
11-10-2002, 09:43 AM
Okay here's my current idea.

He's on the sidewalk, taking a break, watching the street. He spies a nice young girl walking past. Sucks it in, saunters over to the load he's suppost to be moving. Looks over the pile for the most impressive item. Spies a huge bronze statue. Spits in hands and has at the statue. Little does he know the statue is bolted to the pavement (a fact that we the audience will be privy to through cunning sign placement).

So he's not having much luck, but not a man to give up, he puts his all into moving the unmoveable. Eventually weariness beats stubborness. He glances up at the young lady he imagines is actually paying attention, she's gone. Like a whipped dog he kicks the statue and walks back to his perch, or street pole in this case. Last few frames is of him spying another young lady, the cycle begins anew.

Think that constitutes an awkward moment?

Anyway he's an initial stage snap.

Nahaz
11-20-2002, 09:09 AM
Boy this month is flying by. My animation's coming along good. I'm hoping to post a WIP sometime this week. Along with a sketch.

Nahaz
11-22-2002, 11:57 PM
Here's my first WIP.

http://nahaz.150m.com/mover_take15.mov

Sorry about the quality. That's about half the animation. In total it's about 80% complete, pretty late for the first WIP, i'm blaming my workload, you can to :)

Nahaz
11-23-2002, 12:00 AM
Oh, you'll have to copy and paste the link. Sorry for any undue stress on your carpal tunnel.

Nemises
11-23-2002, 12:34 AM
haha..thats classic!..

I rekon youve handled the animation really well so-far...you definately sell the Tough little-guy (from Boston no doubt)..

Good stuff!

Rogue
11-23-2002, 08:16 PM
Hey Nahaz

That's funny. I bet he has a side job as a plumber. :)

OK, I have some critiques.

The first thing is when he picks the box up. When he picks the box up, his waist moves down after he gets it straight on his shoulder. This is looking a little odd. Instead, try this. When he starts to pick the box up, have his waist move up a little then and begin to straighten out his arms. Then as he starts lifting the box and pulling his arms towards his body, have the waist move down a little at that point. Let him then get the box squared away on his shoulder, THEN move his waist up and have him stand. I hope this makes sense. It's a difficult thing to show weight.

Second, when he backs up, he come to a rather rapid stop with no amountable rotation in the body. He's got to stop that big box. You should have him move a little slower...at least have him slowly coming to a stop. He's not only got to slow himself, he's also got to contend with the inertia of that big box. Also rotate his upper torso forward before he stops, then a slight over shoot when he stops. This will help absorb some of the momentum of the box.

Third, a similar thing is happening when he turns. He's not really showing any weight in that box. Have his body begin to turn before the box starts to turn. Lag it a little. Then, when he gets it straightened, have it over shoot just a little, then straighten, then walk forward. Have him lean forward a bit when he begins to walk to get the box moving as well.

When he's getting his grip and his pants fall off, that's just funny! I love it. It looks good, but maybe the box could move a tad slower. At the current speed, it looks reasonably light. But the motions look good though.

On a side note, I'd just leave interactions with the other boxes out of it. It doesn't help to tell the story and it could be a little distracting.

Looking forward to seeing some updates.

Nahaz
12-09-2002, 03:43 AM
Thread seems to have had the tail cut off, so here's a repost of my entry

Nahaz - Awkward moments - Mover (http://www.sidhe.co.nz/mark/nahaz_mover.mov)

Facial Deluxe
12-16-2002, 12:47 PM
Great great animation, very fluid , love it :)

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 04:49 AM
Tricky bit of animation you have going! I like how you handled him balancing the big box. He does an odd action with his hands and arms at the beginning that I'm not too sure what's going on with. It looks like he's just sort of brushing himself and adjusting his hat but it's too quick. Creative use of scaling too for the pants.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.