PDA

View Full Version : Being a better animator? or what does a big company want?

JonBird
09-21-2005, 08:07 PM
Hi, i just wonder what skills you need as animator. I mean, if you are a good animator, should you have skills like:

- character designs
- script writing
- film, production and compositional design
- storyboard
- etc...

I found some video games-companies where you need a fine art degree and others where you need a high level of xsi, maya, photoshop, etc... not just one of them, ALL of them....

why is that for? and then you get the job as animator and you spend your days animating cicles for games and they never ask you your opinions about the design or the story

it's good, obviously, learn all those things, the more you learn the better you are of course, but it shouldn't be a requirement for a character animator position.

JB.

benclark
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
I can understand what you're saying, but I look at it this way, animation is a very competitive industry. These companies are hardly struggling to find staff.

So naturally they're going to look for the most complete artist they can find. One that can work well in any software and has the all-round knowledge of media, project management, traditional art etc etc.
Why should they not demand a degree level qualification when they pay graduate level wages?

This basicaly means that the best people get the best jobs - which is the way it should be.

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2005, 08:21 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.