PDA

View Full Version : Head modeling in the industry.....curious

rb25_det
09-21-2005, 05:26 AM
Hey guys,id just like to know(outta curiosity), how long it should take a modeler to model a human head in the industry, ie visual effectsstudios like weta, lucasarts etc.....

Im fairly new to organic modeling,and ive started doing human heads.....

P.s

Whats the most invaluable advise you could give someone who wants to learn organichead modelling more effeciently.???

Ctrl-Z
09-21-2005, 06:45 AM
Thats a tough question. Having never had a movie gig I can't say what the time range would be. I am guessing that as fast and as good as possible would be a good guess. :)
I've attached a head I did the other day. It took 2 - 3 hours starting with a cube and the uv's are laid out too. I am still struggling to break that 2 hour mark but I am close. Maybe 20 more heads/bodies and I'll be there, maybe not. Keep in mind that repetition gives form.

For personal jazz, I try to never spend more than a week on any character. Keeps my interest up. If you can bust out a full body mesh with clothing/accessories in 5 days or less and make it look good then I'd say your smokin' and I want to be your chat buddy. :)

rb25_det
09-21-2005, 10:34 AM
Cheers for that, thats some real quick time you got there mate:), im actually working off a video tutorial, and the two models ive made using box modelling have actually been done step by step from the tut. So i can not think off the topofmy head where to split polies, add geometry, ann break/attach polies to match topology etc....i would really like to be able to do this though......

Any suggestions?, keep modelling heads using the same tutorial, and do it over andover again, changng the face type each time to keep the interest going???

Oneother thing, could someone pleasepost a reference front/sideview of a 15-25yr old male/female, that i can use as a guidline for most models?

JulianS
09-29-2005, 12:54 AM
I got to be honest with you it really depends for example went I was working on the head for Sonny in I' Robot I toke me about 2 months just to get the topology right to work with facial shapes. For other show it could take anywhere from 1 week up to 4 moths. depending of the importance of the character. So that is the correct answear. but you should be able to do a head within 3 days. or 24 hours.

rb25_det
09-29-2005, 06:40 AM
It really helps knowing how long it should take and such,so i guess it all depends on the inportance of the character and a whole lot of other factors.

Great, exactly the answer im looking for....

CGTalk Moderation
09-29-2005, 06:40 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.