PDA

View Full Version : freeze transformations.....

Winner
09-21-2005, 01:09 AM
I've recently started to rig a character in Maya - but ive noticed somethig weird - i always remember in 4.5, when you froze transformations on an object, it would reset its values to zero in the channel box, but it would not reset the orientation of the manipulator..... in 6.5 this seems to have changed ( i have switched jobs and been using Max for the last year )

example ... i make a cube and rotate it around its axes whatever amount ... but when i freeze transformations, yeah it resets the transforms to zero ( that i want ) but it ALSO resets the rotation manipulator so the cube basically does have a TRUE 000 rotation ! wtf ? 4.5 used to leave the manipulator as is ... this is key to how i setup my characters...

how do i do this in maya 6.5 ? any ideas would really help out right now..

Pajamas
09-21-2005, 01:53 AM
I've been using David Walden's excellent rigging tools. He includes a tool to orient joints en masse or individually with lots of good options. Like pointing the axis of your choice down the length of the bone. That might help you.

http://www.davidwalden.com/mel.htm

Winner
09-21-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply but thats not what my problem is. It seems Alias have slightly changed the behaviour of the freeze transformation function.

I did find a way around this though....

To be able to freeze an object but still retain its rotation manipulator, it has to be a child of an object with identical rotations. Its a bit of a pain in the ass - but it works.

so you basically rotate your object how you need it, create a null, align it exactly to your object, then parent your object under this null. When you freeze transforms on your object - its values will pop to zero - but it will retain its manipulator orientations.

niralrajani
09-21-2005, 05:05 PM
Hi

comet scritps has an option call zeroOut rotation it helpfull in ur case but on controller not on joint coz it creat extra grp...but in case of joint chain i think you better freez transform join tand then start working......
Niral

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2005, 05:05 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.