PDA

View Full Version : Awkward Moments - Restroom - Nemises

Nemises
11-09-2002, 12:52 AM
Ok, well..My First entry in a CG challenge aswell :)

From reading some of the other entry's threads, I can see my storyline is hardly original! , but never mind ...

My character is a Robot guy (Mr M.Y.Firstrobot) ;)

(coloration picture by a friend of mine Danny Feltham, drawn overtop of a front render)

Nemises
11-09-2002, 05:41 AM
OK!..thats the pre production over with ;)

Next , the animation itself.

Nemises
11-09-2002, 05:46 AM
You can't tell , because the filesize restriction kinda made me shrink it a bit ;), but its a pile of Nuts and Bolts..

...thats sorta the punch line...

:hmm:

:wavey:

Nahaz
11-09-2002, 06:40 AM
Hehe, that could be potentially very funny.

bored alien
11-10-2002, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by Nahaz
Hehe, that could be potentially very funny.
I agree. I'm anxious to see how you handle the animation. (lol don't think I've ever seen a robot in this predicament before...) :thumbsup:

blakboks
11-10-2002, 04:41 AM
oh man, i hate it when my robot roommate does that...it's so gross, and i have to clean it up every time...

Nemises
11-14-2002, 06:20 AM
Had to change the "story" a bit...as the above storyboard couldnt be achieved without the set looking weird ..

I like this one better anyways..

Nemises
11-17-2002, 03:46 AM
Just trying to sort out some Web Space to upload my WIP animation's too....
Primary animation is pretty much complete..just a bit of Tidying, and then I'll dress the scene up a bit, and it'll be ready :)

I've found 15 Seconds to be fairly restrictive!, but it's a good length of time so you dont get too carried away on tangents..you only really have time to get the main idea done.

Hopefully have something sorted out by tommorow, and will get a preview animation up.

Nem

P.S , Whatching the extra's on the Fellowship of the Ring DVD's this weekend was REALLY inspiring!..there was so much CG work in the movie that I hadn't realised! (prime example was the Fellowship running down the stairs in Khazad Dum, and across the bridge.....wonderfully done!)

Nemises
11-17-2002, 05:05 AM
Ok..my WIP.

Still a ways to go in terms of Tidying up the scene (modelling some things in the "bathroom"...putting some Scary tenticles in the Toilet-in-question, getting rid of nasty interpenetrations, putting in teh "Bot Poo" particle system ;) and lighting it with the mandatory 3 light system ;) )

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/REN_AwkwardMoments_057_TST_002.mov (Sorenson 3, 1.9MB but plays JerkoVision!!..so download it instead of streaming please!)

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/REN_AwkwardMoments_057_TST_001.avi (DivX AVI, 876KB)

Please be gentle on me, its my first real attempt at "full body" character keyframing..

-Nem

Stephen Vyas
11-17-2002, 08:43 AM
Hi there,
Overall it's a good start, especially if it's your first attempt at full body animation.
If I might suggest one or two things.. At the first stall he's banging on the door 3 times really fast then he pulls back his right hand. It looks almost prematurely for his last hit and the pose for the pause doesn't seem to have any strength.. You could try adding a certain dynamic to the scene such as... maybe having his other hand holding his stomach, and have his whole body lean up against the stall in a more slouchy sort of way for the final hit, as if it's actually hurting...
One last thing, don't hate me :), is when he pushes on the second door.. what would look cool is to make him act as if he's almost pushing through the door with his left hand expecting it to be \locked, but insted it's unlocked. And as he stumbles in there's something that scares him and he reacts to it... Possibly jumping back or taking a few steps back... But maybe you want to take it another way and that's cool too... Good luck :thumbsup:

Just wondering about one thing concerning the static camera.. If you did put the Scary tenticles in the toilet, how would we see them? would they chase the bot into the camera view?

I'm interested in seeing the rest ....

keep us posted
Cheers!
-Steve

Nemises
11-18-2002, 04:05 AM
Cheers for the coments Steve! :)

I appreciate the time you took to write the reply, and I think your suggestions are really well placed.
I guess I'm guilty of having stared at the thing all weekend, I'm no longer able to objectively critisise.

The First pause you speak of is a kind of "Pause and listen" , but at 230x240 you loose a lot of the subtlety in the head movement...It's a good idea to fill the pause up with something more dynmaic, and I will definately look into it..guess I'm a bit afraid of Over animating him aswell though, and wanted to put "some" stillness in.

As for the second door/left hand, it was originally supposed to be him knocking, only the door swings open...so he wasnt "really" blanced forward enough to justify overbalancing into the stall...however, I might persue what youve said because I'm not really happy with the left hand knock, so might turn it into a lean/push type movement.

The Scary tenticles are going to be spilling over the top of, and out the bottom of the stall :):) ...It's kindof a Larson moment..completely obvious to us that theres some kind of horrible alien/monster in there, but our Bot is preoccupied with his sore tummy! ;)

I'll use Lofted splines for the tenticles I think, thus neatly sidestepping the "soft body" restricion incase I want to animate them a bit (I can just animate the CV's on the control spline).

Any further comments/critsisms/correction are very very welcome...it has allready been a HUGE learning experience for me regardless of how well recieved the animation might be at the end :)

Nahaz
11-20-2002, 09:15 AM
I like it. I'm looking forward to seeing more :)

Tiburon3D
11-20-2002, 07:32 PM
I like your idea.

I don't know about you, but when I go to use a bathroom stall, I hardly ever knock. I try to open it, and if it's locked I move on to the next one.

Maybe try a lower camera angle so we can see under the stalls. So the monster is obvious to us.

You could have the first stall occupied or if it was empty, the robot could struggle with opening it. After failing he could move on to the next one, and -- like Stephen Vyas said -- he expects it to be locked and falls in. Or maybe the monster opens the door JUST BEFORE the robot tries to open it.

I like the nuts& bolts idea for it's waste, maybe when he is frightened, he falls back and then by the time he gets up he ends up lying in a pool of nuts & bolts and then runs off.

I don't know, just some ideas.

Keep up the good work.

Jon

Nemises
11-23-2002, 05:39 AM
Update for my WIP.

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/AwkwardMoments231102.avi (640*480 DiVX, 1.1Mb).

Havent looked into colors at all, but have at least constructed an environment, which I may or may not add too depending on what people think.

Encorperated some of the suggestions made above..still haven't completely finalised the animation itself, but plan to do that tommorow.
Added monster/squid legs to make it a bit funnier (I hope) ...may or may not animate them in some way..also may or may not add a giant squid head coming out of the top (lol)..opinions?

Basically made him stay hunched over "sore tummy" style, and changed the second second door knock into an (accidental?) lean/barge.

Things left to do:
Bot Poo (first thought is a particle system of some sort..yet to start serious thought about it..*gulp*)
Colors (as oppposed to textures eh ;) )
Tweak anim until people dont think it looks terrible.
Tweak Camera position to get a good shot composition.

Nahaz
11-23-2002, 07:03 AM
I think you should keep the occupant of stall two all but hidden, keep the audience guessing. A little motion in the tenticles would look good.

It looks like he could trip over the tenticles into stall two, perhaps even head first? :)

jschleifer
11-24-2002, 01:55 AM
Tweak anim until people dont think it looks terrible.
Tweak Camera position to get a good shot composition.

just a quick suggestion.. tweak the camera first, then do the animation. It'll help you build stronger poses if you know what your final shot is going to be..

good luck! :)
-jason

cuse
11-24-2002, 03:04 PM
think this is starting to look really good, its got a great realism to the way the bot is moving, theres a lot of character in the shape and style of the movements... but like Tiburon3D said, maybe the first door should be a push, then bang/knock the door as hes so preoccupied? and the only other thing i would say is when he moves back its kinda quick, maybe after that when he bends slightly he should put his hands on his knees to kinda steady himself after such a shock and moving too fast for his body?

EDIT-sorry just read the rules again, looks great, cant wait to see it with more detail if possible... :)

cuse

Nemises
11-24-2002, 10:43 PM
Cheers for the input guys..
I have modified the second door to include a Trip as suggested by Nahaz, but I am conscious of running out of frames for everything . As pointed out by Cuse, it's allready starting to look a little rushed at the end (as I struggle to get it all under 390 frames ;) )

Luckilly I have more time at the beginning than at the end (rescaling ALL of the keys is only going to happen if it absolutely has to!), So I'll try to include the idea of a push/pull door...not sure if I'll have time as I can only work on it in the weekends (essentially)

Cheers for the comments about Camera placement JS, unfortunately I'm not organised enough to have planned the anim with particular poses in mind..I basically started at the beginning and did it all key by key.

Thanks for your Kind comments about the "realism" Cuse... this is my first attempt at character animation, and allthough I am assited a lot by Character Studio (but not Footsteps!), I have put a LOT of my efforts into the weight distribution and subtlety's in the middle of the body.

I'll post my latest WIP when I get home tonight, you'll see the trip and the beginnings of my Bot Poo particle system ;)..lol

hopefully its not all looking too rushed at the end :(

jschleifer
11-25-2002, 05:43 AM
Cheers for the comments about Camera placement JS, unfortunately I'm not organised enough to have planned the anim with particular poses in mind..I basically started at the beginning and did it all key by key.

It's not important whether you started animating first or not.. the important thing is to get the camera as close to final as possible fore trying to finalize your animation. Once that's done you can make sure your final poses and follow through and tweaks read to your camera, which is really all that matters.

good luck! :)
-jason

Nemises
11-25-2002, 06:50 PM
^^ Cheers :)
I'm Leaving the final anim / pose tweaks for the weekend when I can throw some proper time at it, however here is an Update that feature a few tweaks + the patented Bot Poo system ;)

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/REN_AwkwardMoments_068.avi (680*480 DiVX , 2.6 MB ... eeek, file size blow out!..guess DiVX didnt like the Patented Bot Poo system much :/ )

Cheers for comments and crits..everyone has had something really valuable to add so far.

cuse
11-26-2002, 09:21 AM
that looks cool nemises, like how it follows his movement when he stands back... wish it had textures, maybe after the challenge is over you could add some??? :)

cuse

Nemises
12-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Ooops, Looks like my Entry got gobbled up in the backup restore.

Here it is again...

Awkward Moments final entry:
=====================

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/REN_AwkwardMoments_080.mov (QT Sorenson 3, 6.3MB)

OR for those of us lucky enough to have the use of DiVX:

http://www.murrell.co.nz/~nemises/REN_AwkwardMoments_080divX.avi (DiVX 4, 886KB)

Cheers to all for the cool comp, looking forward to the next on :):)

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

cuse
12-09-2002, 10:41 AM
can i just ask... why was the comp in sorenson and not divx?

cuse

Nemises
12-09-2002, 08:41 PM
The Idea as I understand it, is so that all major OS's can be included.

Quicktime has stuff for Windows, MAcOS and linux/unix OS's.

DiVX as far as I'm aware is only ont eh windows platform (tho I'd be surprised if there wasnt a Linux version out somewhere).

It's fair enough I think, as you shouldnt be able to not compete just because you dont have the right codec. (ohhh...thats a triple negative :buttrock: )

Nemises
12-09-2002, 11:00 PM
Hmm...
Just downloaded my divx entry, and noticed its all jerky :(

Damn that sorenson codec (the divx was ust recompressed from the sorenson version in Premiere).

I'm going to re-upload the anim tonight, hopefully the judges will allow it (same anim, different compression settings).

If you look at any of my WIP's you can see its nice and smooth, only the final render appears to have compressed in a strange fashion (my lack of understanding the Sorenson options no doubt).

maelstrom
12-10-2002, 02:15 AM
i think it shouldn't be a problem with the judges as the Quicktime is the official entry?!

Good job Nemesis on this animation! :thumbsup:

cuse
12-10-2002, 09:50 AM
well im running a mac and divx runs fine on that... also the divx site - divx (http://www.divx.com) - says you can download for mac, windowz and linux? but i guess if it does restrict certain people from entering its correct... just find it strange to have just ONE format.

cuse
:D

kaber
12-10-2002, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Nemises
The Idea as I understand it, is so that all major OS's can be included.

Quicktime has stuff for Windows, MAcOS and linux/unix OS's.

DiVX as far as I'm aware is only ont eh windows platform (tho I'd be surprised if there wasnt a Linux version out somewhere).

It's fair enough I think, as you shouldnt be able to not compete just because you dont have the right codec. (ohhh...thats a triple negative :buttrock: )

Hey, the best codec to use is Divx. At last from a cross platform persective.
The new quicktime stuff that everyone's using does not work correctly on Linux.

mexus
12-11-2002, 03:59 AM
Personally, It's quite difficult to undertand your thought process.
Consider learning how to properly storyboard a concept and move from there.

Great story tellers are sought out by many studios. The approach to telling a story should be understood by many universal audiences.:)

Nemises
12-11-2002, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by kaber
Hey, the best codec to use is Divx. At last from a cross platform persective.
The new quicktime stuff that everyone's using does not work correctly on Linux.

Sure thing..I didn't make the rules ;)
Dont need to convince me how cool DiVX is :wavey:

Cheers for the comment Mexus...I dont quite understand what you mean, but I assume you didn't understand the Story of the animation?
I'll definately work on my concept to creation steps tho, thanks.

muckywetnoodle
12-19-2002, 06:01 AM
Good work. I think his walk starting into the bit is too slow. Also thought the dump at the end would work better if it happened quicker and with more...ahem...spread. Keep it up!

cuse
12-19-2002, 10:14 AM
haha thats a good point... maybe some oil as well???

cuse

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.