PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake - VFX Challenge - dawmar

dawmar
11-08-2002, 11:46 PM
:bounce: I'm really looking forward to doing this, I have always liked disaster movies and their special FX. I have never done anything like this before, so I'm going to give it my best.

Here is my story board. I think I might add a car or 2.:applause:

Mouser
11-09-2002, 12:37 AM
Managing all that rubble will be tricky :surprised
but that's going to be a great looking shot :)

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Mouser

AlexAlvarez
11-09-2002, 12:43 AM
Like the storyboard... :)

dawmar
11-09-2002, 06:43 AM
:bounce: This is a test render that I just did.

Nazgul
11-10-2002, 11:43 AM
nice. want to see more. I'll be checking up your thread.
good luck!

dawmar
11-11-2002, 08:18 PM
This is the street where the disaster will happens.
:applause:

I'll have to get rid of the car.

dawmar
11-11-2002, 08:20 PM
:lightbulb
I think I will also add a side walk.

dawmar
11-14-2002, 12:46 AM
Here is a test rendering of the road. I have to work on the texturing and the cracking. At this point I'm not happy with the way it looks. :hmm:

astrofish
11-14-2002, 09:18 AM
Looking promising.

I assume that you've taken a thin cube for the road surface and 'shattered' it (manually or some automatic function?), then adjusted the position/rotation of the fragments.

I'm doing something similar to this with my entry (not shown in my thread yet - I need to post an update when I get home).

My problem, and I think you've got the same thing, is how best to get the pieces and their edges sufficiently broken up without getting excessive amounts of geometry or too many elements to deal with...

I was thinking that maybe painting transparency around the edges of the camera map for some of the fragments might be helpful to break up the straight edges a bit.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Knut
11-14-2002, 12:23 PM
Thats a massive crack!

One thing you could do to make it look better is to up the polycount at the edges. Then select all the edges witch you apply some sort of noise to. That would give the crack a more messy look. If you use max i can give more details on how to do that!

Keep up the good work!:wip:

Arioch
11-14-2002, 02:20 PM
I like the fact that you chose to add the sidewalk and are damaging that also. When the cracks start to appear it might be cool to have the sidewalk crack up at a different rate or scale to represent the difference between the asphalt and concrete materials. Looking good so far.

dawmar
11-14-2002, 09:19 PM
:) I have not done any camera mapping sinc there is no camera movement, everything is built in 3ds max 4. I am having truble with the mapping of the geometry, for the sidewalk mostly. It dosn't look reall. I think I will make some of the street parts smaller .

I'll try to post something with changes soon.

dawmar
12-10-2002, 01:27 AM
:sad: That sucks. I finished and it looks really good. I have no were to post it, and the time they were accepting submissions I was at work. :sad:

:shrug: Oh well.

CobraX
12-10-2002, 01:44 AM
give us a link so we can have a peek

dawmar
12-10-2002, 04:34 AM
dont have a web space yet.
dose anyone know of a site?

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.