PDA

View Full Version : local joint orientations

kapollo
09-20-2005, 07:39 PM
Hi
I've got a question concerning local joint orientation axes.
I would like to know what is the proper way to set the orientations. What I understand is that one of the axes should be pointing to next joint in the hierarchy. But which one should it be, and what about the other two axes is their direction relevant or not.
Thanks in advance.
chears kapollo

Dichotomy
09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
I would have to say that Z-up is probably the most common orientation for joints. I have seen both Z and Y pointing down joints... never seen X though. The orientation of the other axis does matter because those will determine where the joint will rotate from.
take the elbow as an example: if Z is pointing towards the wrist, and the X and Y are just random, then your elbow won't bend in the correct direction.

kapollo
09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
Thanks I think I got it now :)

Morganism
09-20-2005, 09:04 PM
I have seen both Z and Y pointing down joints... never seen X though.

Ummm...X is the default.....so I'd say most people orient their joints that way. :)

Anyway, in order to orient your joints, try one of several free joint orient scripts

Jason Schleifer and Michael Comet's joint orient scripts are both great and free to download!

Digit
09-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Jason Schleifer and Michael Comet's joint orient scripts are both great and free to download!

Ive always wondered... why are those guys scripts better than the one that comes with Maya?

john_homer
09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
maya didn't have it before version 6 or 6.5... somewhere around there...

.j

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2005, 09:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.