PDA

View Full Version : Nextgen Character WIP

svenjuhlin
09-20-2005, 02:32 PM
A nextgen character Iīm working on. Sorry about the poor resolution, but I had to lower it to make it fit on the web page Iīm using :(

http://svenjuhlin.blogg.se/images/unreal.jpg

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 02:59 PM
nice,

could we see some detail shots and some wire purlease

FerdiWillemse
09-20-2005, 03:32 PM
You just keep on going, aren't you? :scream:
Another excellent job! :thumbsup:

AdamAtomic
09-20-2005, 03:34 PM
Hella cool, I really like the boots. As far as originality I think he is hard to distinguish from your average Unreal/hefty armor dude/space man type player model, but then that seems to be a hot property in the industry, so I can hardly blame you! Nice work, and I'd definitely like to see some details and wires as well.

PhilOsirus
09-20-2005, 03:49 PM
Yeah it's very nice but I thought this was for Gears of War for a second:)

I always find it funny that these guys can lift cars thanks to their exo-muscles but they couldn't go through a regular door frame:p

Anyway the execution is very good!

svenjuhlin
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the replys, I will post some more pics (wireframe, closeupīs etc) when Iīve done some more tweeking in the texture and rigg :)

ninjacore
09-20-2005, 05:24 PM
Yes. This is good. along with your vechicles you did too...a nice collection. :thumbsup:

ArchangelTalon
09-20-2005, 05:49 PM
I think his gun is a little dull and hard to make out details on.

The model itself is great, however :D

utchamp
09-20-2005, 06:22 PM
I love it , i really do.... :hmm: :love:

The suit and boots are really really detailed, but the top of the head is just smooth.. is it meant to be that way?

If it is a helmet of some kind i understand, but you migt have some hair poking out from underneath....? ;) :p

Looks nice anyway

svenjuhlin
09-20-2005, 08:16 PM
I love it , i really do.... :hmm: :love:

The suit and boots are really really detailed, but the top of the head is just smooth.. is it meant to be that way?

If it is a helmet of some kind i understand, but you migt have some hair poking out from underneath....? ;) :p

Looks nice anyway

No that part is definetly not finished. And I have been thinking about giving him a helmet...

Headless
09-20-2005, 11:36 PM
It's great work, but it looks very, very much like a mix between this (http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2007/hr/ut2007_05.jpg) and this (http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/1116361333.jpg), almost to the point where i'd be inclined to say it was ripped off. Particularly the character in the first shot I linked too is almost a like-for-like copy around the head and neck area. I always find that on any model where it's obvious to other people what you used as reference, that that's the point where you need to credit the reference source.

Still, despite all that, I can't deny the the quality of the modelling and texturing work, so you still get a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Oh, and you might want to look at the eyes again because they look pretty weird (unless that was intentional).

RO
09-21-2005, 02:58 AM
Good point on the ref thing but as time goes on we will have people who are not concept artist and mostly work from ref in companies anyhow. It is getting so complicated to make a new design that looks great plus build right and everything. Really later on you will very dedicated positions and workflow... Game art is getting really complicated now.

Game Designer- Gives idea of the design for the dude to the concept artist
Concept Artist- Makes the dude to send to the modeler
Modeler- Makes it and sends it to the skinner and animator.
Skinner-Makes the texture
Animator-... well you get the idea.

Just for one design in a game it has to go through all this... So reality is.... This is a well done work. Maybe not highly orginal but damn good and a company that works this way would pick him up fast.

Though giving credit to the other two would really be dumb. Since it is his design. Inspired by those two designs. Many artist have been inspired to make new works based on subjects done by other artist. The only time an artist should give credit to another party is if he/she used a physical element. In this case it was made from the ground up and the design is diff enough.

One thing though is your presentation picture. putting a white outline around your model really flattens it visually and does nothing to help. In fact it harms your awesome work. Type is really important also and in tis case your type is also unreadable. Very minor graphic design errors but even those little things harm your overall work.

svenjuhlin
09-21-2005, 07:28 AM
thanks for the replys and critiques. Itīs good for me that the character isenīt finished :)

svenjuhlin
09-21-2005, 07:38 AM
It's great work, but it looks very, very much like a mix between this (http://www.beyondunreal.com/main/ut2007/hr/ut2007_05.jpg) and this (http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1167/1116361333.jpg), almost to the point where i'd be inclined to say it was ripped off. Particularly the character in the first shot I linked too is almost a like-for-like copy around the head and neck area. I always find that on any model where it's obvious to other people what you used as reference, that that's the point where you need to credit the reference source.

Still, despite all that, I can't deny the the quality of the modelling and texturing work, so you still get a thumbs up from me. :thumbsup:

Oh, and you might want to look at the eyes again because they look pretty weird (unless that was intentional).

Yes itīs tru thouse pics have been used as ref photos, along with many others. Gears of war and Unreal are setting the standard for the nextgen artist so itīs hard not to be influenced. But If you loose the neck part on my character the rest is all me, But the Character was ment to fitt into the Unreal or Gears of War universe.

Armanguy
09-21-2005, 02:51 PM
this has to be one of the best game art models ive seen in a long time, the head area needs some work but thats all. good luck at dice sven!

svenjuhlin
09-21-2005, 04:46 PM
this has to be one of the best game art models ive seen in a long time, the head area needs some work but thats all. good luck at dice sven!

Thanks Iīl do my best :)

mustan9
09-21-2005, 04:55 PM
Can I ask a question? :)

Is it normal for character models to be around 7,500 polygons? What platform will this character be used on (XBox, PS2, PC)?

Thanks, because it seems kind of high polygon count to me.

nibbuls
09-21-2005, 05:38 PM
7,500 (usually) means XBox 360, PS3, and high-end PCs.

...So does next-gen. :)

This model is -way- better than I could do, but we can always use critiques. :D

Are you planning on adding a bumpmap or a specular map (It looks as if you've already added the latter... but its not mentioned)? Also, the head texture looks a bit... plain.

Again: Great job!

mustan9
09-21-2005, 05:41 PM
So does next-gen. :)

Ohh... I get it now. I thought we were talking about Star Trek: The Next Generation.

*slaps forehead*

Headless
09-21-2005, 05:52 PM

Is it normal for character models to be around 7,500 polygons? What platform will this character be used on (XBox, PS2, PC)?

7,500 is around next gen limits (hence the title of this thread), so you're looking at PC, Xbox 360, PS3, and probably Revolution. Some developers have posted on these boards saying they've made characters upwards of 12,000-15,000 poly's for next gen, but 7,500 is closer to the average.

Really it all depends on what character you're modelling. I expect "hero" characters (i.e the player character, boss characters, etc), will be closer to 15,000, but most enemy characters (where you may have multiple characters on screen at once), will be around 5,000-8,000. In some of these shots from next gen trailers where you see tens/hundreds of character models on screen at once (Kameo (http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1198/1116499706.jpg), Ninety-Nine Nights (http://media.teamxbox.com/games/ss/1278/1122271994.jpg), Dead Rising (http://screenshots.teamxbox.com/screen/37640/Dead-Rising/), etc), it'll be considerably less.

BigErn
09-21-2005, 06:08 PM
A very cool char, very well detailed but as some other duder said, with those white outlines my eyes are hurting just looking at it. Without them it would be more solid and easy on the eye! :D

svenjuhlin
09-21-2005, 07:49 PM

Well itīs for nextgen (PS3, Xbox 360), And 7500 is pretty normal for the upcoming games :)

svenjuhlin
09-21-2005, 08:00 PM
7,500 (usually) means XBox 360, PS3, and high-end PCs.

...So does next-gen. :)

This model is -way- better than I could do, but we can always use critiques. :D

Are you planning on adding a bumpmap or a specular map (It looks as if you've already added the latter... but its not mentioned)? Also, the head texture looks a bit... plain.

Again: Great job!

Yeh thats my mistake. for the head there is a colour map and a normal map (1024x1024)
and the same for the body

AdamHerbert
09-21-2005, 08:02 PM
Cool! Right when I saw it I immediatley thought of GoW also. Looks a lot like some of these concepts here.
http://media.xbox.gamespy.com/media/747/747891/img_2895309.html
Keep up the good work. Can't wait to some wires!

TheRedemption
09-21-2005, 08:11 PM
yeah i thought unreal/GoW right away, very epic (pun intended) :P

svenjuhlin
09-22-2005, 02:59 PM
Another pic and some other pics. I lost the white borderline, better ?
I will give it some more hours....

http://svenjuhlin.blogg.se/images/final.jpg
http://svenjuhlin.blogg.se/images/wire.jpg
http://svenjuhlin.blogg.se/images/colour_map.jpg

mustan9
09-22-2005, 03:17 PM
Hi svenjuhlin,

That is just amazing. This low-poly character looks better then most high-poly characters I see. :) :bounce:

Thanks for posting the texture files. The fabric looks amazing. I have no crits at all. Are you going to post a video from the game with this character? I'd love to see him in some action shots.

Did you use ZBrush for any of the details on this character? Or was everything done in Photoshop?

PhilOsirus
09-22-2005, 04:07 PM
Actually did anyone see the low-res model of Gears of War's biped monsters? It is something like 3500 tris. It just doesn't show with the normal mapping.

svenjuhlin
09-22-2005, 05:10 PM
Hi svenjuhlin,

That is just amazing. This low-poly character looks better then most high-poly characters I see. :) :bounce:

Thanks for posting the texture files. The fabric looks amazing. I have no crits at all. Are you going to post a video from the game with this character? I'd love to see him in some action shots.

Did you use ZBrush for any of the details on this character? Or was everything done in Photoshop?

I Havenīt gotten my hads on zbrush yet, but I will actually get a crashcourse tomorrow. So no Zbrush, only Photoshop :)

mustan9
09-22-2005, 05:24 PM
I Havenīt gotten my hads on zbrush yet, but I will actually get a crashcourse tomorrow. So no Zbrush, only Photoshop :)

Impressive man. :bounce:

Your going to make the front page with this work.

Was this character done for work or for pleasure. Do you have a website or demo reel you can share?

Thanks,

svenjuhlin
09-24-2005, 09:36 AM
Thinking about giving ZBrush a try for the face :)

Panupat
09-24-2005, 08:48 PM
very nice textures! Even if you lose some polygons I'm sure it will still look gorgeous.
So next gen models are around 7-8k poly?

nibbuls
09-24-2005, 09:16 PM
That's what I gather.

hanzo
09-24-2005, 10:42 PM
dude excellent work man, this is very UT nextgen

CGTalk Moderation
09-24-2005, 10:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.