PDA

View Full Version : Humming Bird Sprite.

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 10:39 AM
heres a humming bird that im working on, a robotic, laser for eyes hummingbird

its for a sideways scrolling shootem-up,

32x32 pixels, 16 colour pallete

the second image is an improved anim(faster, but temporary) and im sclaing it up to 64x64. will redraw to get rid of scaling issues.

C&C welcome

fasth
09-20-2005, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't know how to do it, but hummingbirds' wings are very fast (I think you know this)
so in some way I think you ought to make the wings move faster. Almost like nothing but a blur. Might be pretty hard to blur some pixels though. I can't really think of a way to make it look like a hummingbirdblur ( http://www.nps.gov/fopu/pulaskione/GRAPHIC/IMAGES/birds/Ruby-throated%20Hummingbird.jpg )
but perhaps you could at least make the wings faster.

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 02:08 PM
yeah its been a wee prob for me ive cut some of the frames out as it is, theres only five in the whole cycle. need to figure out a way of blurring them or making them look blurred, difficult with only 16 colours and no degrees of transparency.

im gonna have a go at using that checker effect that soo many games used to simulate transparency. i.e every other pixel deleted, in a checker pattern.

how do you like the design. might have to change a little as he will have to hover(as is), fly forwards, fly backwards, and i think hes filling too much of the map.

fasth
09-20-2005, 02:16 PM
yea, I forgot to comment on the design, lol :D (that was my original intention :P the animation was supposed to be a sidetrack)

anyway, what I was going to say in the firstplace is that while it strikes me as a bit robotic, it don't seem too accentuated (is that the word?) - what I'm trying to say is that it only half-strikes me as robotic. Perhaps a line through it's head so it looks like it's got some kind of plating or so. Dunno if that'd work, but something along those lines is something a would suggest, and now I'll do it:
I suggest trying something like that.

I like it's shape btw!

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 02:44 PM
yeah i like the idea of plateing him out a bit. was thinking of segmenting the wings anyway. its just damn hard not putting too much detail in there so you swamp the shape.

heres a new glowing eye, quite pleased with it.

does any one know how to layer animated gifs over the top of each other. apart from setting up all the layers in PS. what a pain:scream: .

the_what
09-20-2005, 03:25 PM
Kinda looks like a baboon clenching its butt at nite... :scream:

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 03:58 PM
ha ha yes a glow in the dark baboon, possible crossed with a glow worm.

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
ive kind of redesigned it, added some segments to the body, a blue beak, some nodules on the back, and blue seethrough wings wad da ya think.

i redesigned the head as well, looks a bit like a terdactil(sp) quite like it though.

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2005, 05:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.