PDA

View Full Version : a little help from the community

hunterlowe
11-08-2002, 06:39 PM
hey there guys and girls and well girly type guys, i need a huge favour. the thing is that i have this low poly type model and i need some uv attached to them. allow me to explain.

i am working in lightwave 5.5- have been for a long while(maybe 5 years) and as i'm sure you know it doesnt have uv texturing. there are several things that i want to do with this model and they all require that i uv it. i wanted to add it to my portfolio- demo reel, maybe enter it into the character mascot contest, and in the long run i was thinking i could create a machinima mod for it. i can see it in my head an unreal 2k3 mod where the player is a kick ass girl that happens to be at an all girl slumber party- hillarity ensues. or how about a music video where she is dancing around all sexy like to the tune of "i'm a slave for you". alls i need is the uv's.

i have included an image of what she looks like as well as the concept that she was created from(not my concept by the way- it was however posted on cgtalk trying to get people to model her).

p.s. if you have any other ideas on what else i can do with this model let me know. or if you have somthing that you want to see- like other examples of other models i have made. or most importantly if you want to hire me to do some 3d work please don't hesitate to message me.

hunter

CTRL+X
11-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Mapping in LW pre version 6 is a whole different way of doing things. Some would say primitive by todays comparison, but they did it back then and some results that I saw were amazing, hard to believe they did it with the tools they had available to them.

Check outthis link (http://www.computerarts.co.uk/tutorials/type/tutorial.asp?id=23265)

Look at the tutorials on Planar maps and projection mapping.

hope it helps

Remi
11-08-2002, 11:52 PM
You could try the unwrap plugin for LW5.x Do a search for it on flay. It might help you a little. :shrug:

SplineGod
11-09-2002, 02:37 AM
I dont agree that Mapping in Pre 6 days was primitive. UV mapping is a nice addition but they also introduce their share of headaches. There are times that using the so called older mapping techniques are easier and certainly faster then screwing with UVs. UV mapping is also a huge pain when you have objects with fairly high poly counts. There is also a way to fake UV mapping. In the "old days" we would sometimes create a morph target. We could flatten out the geometry, apply the textures and then used the morphed version. Its not too hard to apply textures and use falloff and alpha maps to blend different areas nicely.

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 10:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.