PDA

View Full Version : Need help rigging a gargoyle-like creature

Darknessseeker0
09-19-2005, 03:03 PM
Hello everyone! I am trying to rig a creature that has wings that are connected to it's arms, legs, and the sides of it's body. Everything was going nicely until it was time to rig the wings. I searched cgtalk for wing rigging threads and the ones I found were about bird wings. The bird wing tutorial won't work since this character's wings are totally different. Here's a picture of him: http://studentpages.scad.edu/%7Ejcofer20/ratbat.jpg

Has anyone rigged a character like this before, or have any ideas on how I should set up the wings? Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

JohnPark
09-19-2005, 04:58 PM
Jocelyn, you may want to try creating a few joint chains that start at the arm and flow down the wings. These should be constrained (point and orient) to the shoulder and elbow joints with the offset maintained for the point constraint. I'd keep the joint chains down to three or four joints each so you don't go crazy trying to animate them. When it comes time to weight the wings you may get away with binding to the wing joints and some of the leg joints (it seems from your screenshot that the wings are attached to the legs, right?).
Also, I think you'll get much nicer deformations if you create a more grid-like and regular topology for the wings. The weighting will be very tricky with your current model.
Good luck!
-JP

Darknessseeker0
09-19-2005, 10:03 PM
Thanks Jason! I'll redo the arms in the way you suggested and see what happens. As for the model, I didn't make it...he was part of a character pack that I downloaded. >_<

I also used an auto-rigger to make the main skeleton. I don't like the back and neck controls so I'll rig him 100% myself this time. Hopefully that will solve some of the other issues I've been having with weighting him.

CGTalk Moderation
09-19-2005, 10:04 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.