PDA

View Full Version : Custom distributing objects script

Droolz
09-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Hi All,

I've only just startted learning mel, unfortunatly a project has come along that requires a specific script that is beyond me for the time being. What I would like is for someone to write the script and explain it / thoroughly comment it for me, I realise that this is pushing it a bit and if this is too much of a demand for people's time I'd be happy to pay a bit, please PM me if this sounds more appropriate (please excuse if this is also happens to be a vitual faux par).

The script is required to distribute icicles around a city scape....

There are two versions that could be produced. I imagine the first would be tougher than the second, but more useful...

The first script needs to:
run through all objects in a scene [all polygons], on any face it encounters that is facing downwards [in relation to the world], or preferably 'nearly downwards', it will distribute a specified object around the edge's of this face. The specified object will be randomly sized [between certain limits]. The duplicated object should not poke 'over the edge' of the face [i.e. the duplicated objects bounding box should not exceed the bounding box long x & z of the target face] and it would be nice to have occasional gaps between - please see attached image for clarification of what the end effect should look like.

The second script needs to:
Do exactly the same, but be on a selected face basis. I.e. you can apply the script to individual faces.

I hope this makes sense, and the spec is stright forward enough. Thanks for reading!

Jules

Droolz
09-20-2005, 10:47 AM
No takers? Bugger.

Can someone recommend a forum / site / list where I'm likely to get someone to do the script? Like I said I can pay, and need it pronto.

All the best

Jules

jtilden20
09-21-2005, 02:42 AM
The easiest way to do this is to use the paint script tool that ships with Maya. You can read about it by going to the Maya help and searching for "paint script".

This will give you a good start and they also provide a mostly functional script that will let you 'paint' geometry on a surface. Out of the box, it should work for step one, however, step two would require digging into a pretty complicated script to get it to satisfy your needs. Nonetheless, this should point you in the right direction.

Hope this helps!
-Jon

Droolz
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
Cheers Jon, I will take a look.

Jules

CGTalk Moderation
09-21-2005, 08:18 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.