PDA

View Full Version : golf ball modeling

turx
09-19-2005, 11:48 AM
hi all. today i saw a golf ball modeling tutorial for max while a visiting a guy's website.
I know AdamT's golfball (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=187332) with displacement map is great,
but i've tried to do it with modeling tools , then came up with this mini tutorial.

I haven't used extruding 'points' before this. But on this ball it became my only way to get the result.

hope it helps at least some of you :)

EDIT: I've changed the bottom ball figure in the tutorial image with the better one. Now it's the same as the header ball :)
http://www.turx.com/gallery/tutorial/minitutorial_golfball_by_turx.gif (http://www.turx.com/gallery/tutorial/minitutorial_golfball_by_turx.gif)

tcastudios
09-19-2005, 11:51 AM
Beautiful!

Thanks

Cheers
Lennart

moka.studio
09-19-2005, 12:15 PM
:thumbsup:------ nice one.

Mono Jojoy
09-19-2005, 12:18 PM
Was the shiny golf ball in the top left corner also made using this method ? ;)

turx
09-19-2005, 12:29 PM
yes it is.
it was my first try :)
then made the second one for tutorial.

the first one looks better and the holes are bigger, so i rendered it for the header :)

Newstream
09-19-2005, 12:41 PM
yes it is.

the first one looks better and the holes are bigger, so i rendered it for the header :)

Güzel! :thumbsup:
Thanks for this mini-tut.
/ Alex

ThirdEye
09-19-2005, 01:38 PM
very nice, glad you posted this :)

MPS
09-19-2005, 02:17 PM
I like it. Thanks for posting. Its always nice to learn new ways to do stuff.:)

Mono Jojoy
09-20-2005, 03:55 AM
yes it is.

the first one looks better and the holes are bigger, so i rendered it for the header :)What I find most interesting is that the top shiny golf ball's dents are all surrounded by six other dents, while the golf ball in the tutorial shows also holes which are surrounded by only five other holes.

How did you achive that the top, shiny golf ball has all holes distributed evenly and all have six surrounding holes?

edited.....oh I see, you have turned the golf ball so that the holes, surrounded by only five other holes are barely visible at the edge of the image.....

pit
09-20-2005, 10:19 AM
Very nice, Turx. :) Thanks for taking the time to do the tutorial.
:applause:

Mono Jojoy
09-20-2005, 01:04 PM
Güzel! :thumbsup:
Thanks for this mini-tut.
/ AlexEvet, çok güzel :). Teşekür ederim.

JoelOtron
09-20-2005, 05:28 PM
Nice--I think the first one is superior to the tutorial version. The distribution is a bit uneven as mono suggests in the second one. The dents in teh 1st onehave a nice smooth rounded bevel to the corners, where the holes int ths econd are bit sharp.

But still excellent tutorial. I had tried to do this using booleans in the past

JDP
09-20-2005, 06:09 PM
Thanks, I just thought I'd point out that you don't have to use the convert selection tool. To convert from one selection to anoher just hold down shift and click on the relevant icon for the mode you want. Hold down ctrl for tolerant conversion as in the tutorial.

turx
09-20-2005, 08:21 PM
mates! Thanks very much for your comments!

Mono Jojoy and Badtastic, thanks for turkish words :)

JoelD, mate yes it looks better because I've tweaked the first one at every step. My aim is just to give the technic. Extrusion size, main radius and resizing the center point group(so holes) are giving the effect, and they all need an eye control while you use them.

JDP, thanks so much for your tip! It is a great shortcut!

To not giving the file would be good for you, to make you try the technic and maybe find new things while trying that. But for all lazy guys like me here is THE GOLF BALL MODEL (http://www.turx.com/gallery/tutorial/golf_ball.zip).
Of course the first one, with my special lighting setup for my object renders ;)

Here is render of this ball:
http://www.turx.com/gallery/tutorial/golf_ball.jpg

take care all !

govinda
09-26-2005, 08:03 AM
This is great. Reminds me of a story. I was working on a sports project a few years ago and another guy used a technique like Adam's to create a golf ball and then let it get near camera. As I predicted (being a golfer) the client nixed using the ball because every manufacturer has its own trademarked dot-pattern. Nike vs. Titleist vs. Calloway, etc. They didn't want to get a marketing partner upset by showing a dot-pattern that wasn't their own. True story--they're that anal. After the client left I had the great pleasure of being able to say, 'I told you so' to a bunch of doubting fellow 3d'ers.

The upshot is, every dot pattern is different, so what you've created is probably not an existing ball, but a generic 'kinda ball.' Yes, they're that anal. ;)

NYGhost
10-17-2005, 09:52 PM
Seems I cannot extrude points on C4D8.
I'm doing something wrong or is a new feature 0n version 9?

nycL45
10-18-2005, 01:02 AM
Easy on the eyes and well documented. Good tutorial, Turx. Thanks. :thumbsup:

JDP
10-18-2005, 01:57 AM
Seems I cannot extrude points on C4D8.
I'm doing something wrong or is a new feature 0n version 9?

Yes, it's new to R9.

Mono Jojoy
10-22-2005, 09:24 AM
do an inner extrude of the polygons.
that gives you the same result.

turx
10-24-2005, 07:47 AM
do an inner extrude of the polygons.
that gives you the same result.

Sorry, but it's not exactly the same. Because the solution in the tutorial, uses 6 (sometimes 5) triangles and acts like you are inner-extruding polygons which are 6sided(or5 sided).
But, yours gives inner-extrude to all triangles.

Mono Jojoy
10-25-2005, 04:35 AM
Sorry, but it's not exactly the same. Because the solution in the tutorial, uses 6 (sometimes 5) triangles and acts like you are inner-extruding polygons which are 6sided(or5 sided).
But, yours gives inner-extrude to all triangles.that probably depends on the angle settings of your inner extrude.
I have done it with inner extrude and the hexagons and pentagons were fine after doing that.

Well, thats the only possibility you have with V8 since it does not have point extrude.

ajsfuxor
11-02-2005, 06:59 AM
Hi Turx,

Any chance you could post a .obj file? I use Maya and don't quite know how to do it maya.

Thanks!

turx
11-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Of course i could :)

Here is the Golf Ball in .obj format (http://www.turx.com/gallery/tutorial/golfball_obj.rar)
(you need winrar to open the compressed file)

ajsfuxor
11-02-2005, 10:36 PM
thanks turx!!

I've made golf balls before with maps and stuff on another thread somewhere, but never been able to model one. This one looks great.

swatson
03-17-2006, 09:57 AM
Hi I'm trying to reproduce what you have made and at the point where you need to use the extrude it is grayed out.

what is wrong any help please.

file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/swatson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpgfile:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/swatson/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg

Tyger
03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Thanx for the tut, definitely some helpful tricks and easy to do.

maxtax
04-09-2006, 07:48 AM
very effective result - i tried this just a while back - thanks for the tutorial.

vid2k2
04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l !!!

CGTalk Moderation
04-09-2006, 10:10 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.