PDA

View Full Version : pretty much finished Normal mapped car

SHEPEIRO
09-19-2005, 11:33 AM
ok heres my normal mapped car.

8,000 tri

2048sq diff, norm and spec maps (spec is diff for now)

this is for the Ground zero mod. a doom3 based Fallout inspired RPG.

http://groundzero.jconserv.net/index.php

C&C welcome:thumbsup:

Sorry for poor quality images, arrrgh didnt look like this when compressing, will get better ones soon.

EDIT updated images slightly better EDIT

SHEPEIRO
09-19-2005, 05:28 PM
wooo hooo any one out there.......

AoB
09-19-2005, 05:33 PM
looks pretty cool.. but it seems pretty clean to b a doom mod add alot rust and sum dirt and itl b cool, plus the texture on the wheels seem to b abit flat lookn. model looks cool.

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 10:33 AM
cheers
well were going for a fiftys apochapalyptic styleee, but i know what you mean, i only have scrathes at mo need to add layers of mud, dust, and rust.

cay030
09-20-2005, 04:49 PM
Cool looking car though, you think you can post the texture file and the normal map as well. Just wanna see how it looks. Great job though, did you use a old picture of a car like that as well.

Chris Youngblood

SHEPEIRO
09-20-2005, 05:38 PM
no refs for this one. whoops cardinal sin dont kill me.:scream:

but i based it on a cross between a caddy and a V8 interceptor, like outa mad max.

aint got nough space for maps, toooo biiig.

SHEPEIRO
09-26-2005, 10:08 AM
added abit more rust, mud etc, think its finished now.

Gadric
09-26-2005, 04:40 PM
hi, your car is very cool designed, i like your style very much!
hope you will get a job!

greets,
Gadric

DeadBoy
09-27-2005, 02:59 AM
Hey Shepeiro-

Sorry to take so long on the comment- I'm having the same problem with my WIP (tons of views, no opinions :sad: ). But the car looks fantastic so far; it's got a lot of character, something you don't see often in car models. It looks like it came right out of some twisted 50s comic book; I'd personally like to see a worn racing decal on it somewhere, e.g. flames, a racing stripe, or something similar.

Keep it up, and post some updates!:thumbsup:

DeadBoy

ZBrushed Troll
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=280169

robin
09-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Good work Shepeiro, this is a nice car but i can't really distinguish where the texture starts from a corner or a edge of the object because of the white background.

You know a well modeled model can be ruined because of lightning and a bad modeled one be saved by a good composition.

TheShow
09-27-2005, 08:12 AM
Holy crap! 3 2048 maps? I'm making stuff for the wrong engine! What other stuff is on the screen while this thing is going? I haven't been able to make anything over a 256 for PS2 stuff and PC has a 512 limit but I guess it's based on the style of game you are developig for.

Don't misunderstand me, the car looks good and as some definite personality, but I think that you could cut the texture size in half and still see acceptable results. Even a 512 could be workable depending on location of the object in play. Good wokr though! Great style and appeal!

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 09:40 AM
thanks for the comments:)

Robin, I know about the renders, they are normally done last thing at night when im half asleep, will get sommit better up soon.

Dead Boy, like the idea, might add, a new paint job, one day.

The Show, Yeah its for Doom 3 mod, that were going to release in at least 6 months, so were going for fairly(ho ho) high spec, I know what you mean though, i have reduced the textures to half res and it looks ok, but because of the design theres alot of texture space to cover. Which is something i will have to consider in next design, if i have to use half res maps.

oh yeah the mod is a Single player RPG, based on the old Fallout game, called Ground Zero.

heres the link http://groundzero.jconserv.net/index.php

the fact thaty its single player, and set in a post apochalyptic world means there aint going to be more than two cars on screen at any one time and they are going to be quite rare objects, so at mo we reakon we can get away with it, touch wood.

nealb4me
09-27-2005, 09:42 AM
It's not bad but you really, really need to work on your presentation. Even a nice gradient background would help and the image compression is currently very ugly. You already knew that, but it is an issue.

SHEPEIRO
09-27-2005, 09:50 AM
unforunatly without any web real estate, im using my attachment limit. which is damn full, so i dont use gradient due to save on space but i know what you mean, i am busy building a site, when thats up and running i will be able to show you images in full glory.

SHEPEIRO
10-03-2005, 10:14 AM
OK heres some ingame shots.

i had to half the texture res to 1024sq, just to get it over the web. but i think it looks fine at this res any way.

its in the doom3 engine.

-KDX-
10-03-2005, 03:10 PM
where do u get the doom 3 engine? is it free with the game or do you have to license it. The reason I ask is cause I like they way your model translates into realtime.

btw I like it alot more with the rusty edges and wear...very cool. I like the cartoony yet kinda gritty style.

-KDX-

SHEPEIRO
10-03-2005, 03:31 PM
not sure about the doom3 engine, i presumed you get it when you buy the game, buit not sure. I havent actually got it yet, I send my models to the head honcho on the mod and he inputs them into the game. sorry i cant be of help.

CGTalk Moderation
10-03-2005, 03:31 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.