PDA

View Full Version : Lightwave for Interiors

Leonardo Vega
09-19-2005, 06:55 AM
Hello,

How would you rank Lightwave in the architectural department? If I was designing a realistic interior, would LW be a good choice?

Thanks!
Leo

Freak.
09-19-2005, 07:09 AM
Hello,

How would you rank Lightwave in the architectural department? If I was designing a realistic interior, would LW be a good choice?

Thanks!
Leo

I think LW does interiors fantastically, LW radiosity may not be as fast as Vray,
and LW modeler is considered to be behind in terms of Viz and arch modeling,
in comparison to Max, But it's still quite doable, and the results and render
will be as good as anything.....

I think intergration with Cad, and Viz stuff is lacking, but LW can still hold it's own
when it comes to finished images..

If you are working to actual design specs, CAD or Rhino, etc would be better...
But more and more i'm noticing CAD people turning to 3D programs, for it's speed and quality.

Leonardo Vega
09-19-2005, 07:29 AM

I have an AutoCAD file of the interior walls and I'd like to use those lines to extrude up my walls. Is this possible in LW?

- Leo

PetterSundnes
09-19-2005, 10:31 AM
Open the Autocad file in Adobe Illustrator, create a thicker outline to define the thickness of the wall. Make fills of the oulines (Object->Path->Outline Stroke) and save it as an old format .eps file (not newer than version EPS 8.0) and import the file inside LW (Curve Division Level: Rough, Convert to: Closed Polygons) and extrude the result.

Check these guys for whats possible with LightWave and interior visualisation:
http://mir-visuals.com/index_content.html

I also make interactive interior visualisations with LW, baking radiosity:
http://petter.ms/voyager/

yog
09-19-2005, 10:39 AM

I have an AutoCAD file of the interior walls and I'd like to use those lines to extrude up my walls. Is this possible in LW?

- LeoIf you can get the Autocad DXF file into LW, then you can extrude the resulting 2-point polys vertically to form a series of flat planes to form the walls. However getting the DXF file into LW can be a bit tricky. When I was still using LW for the majority of my Arch-vis I used 3D Explorer to convert Autocad DXF files into LW files as it gave a far better result.

If you are starting from scratch, then LW is an extremely capable Arch-Vis modler, especially now that the plug-in CAD-Tools is available. If on the other hand you are starting with an Autocad file, then 3DS MAX is a clear winner. Not only will it read in all versions of Autocad, but it will be able to use the Autocad data in a number of useful ways, like lofting a closed polyline vertically to form a solid wall, or using sections of polylines (mixed linear and/or curved) to form extrusion paths for such things as skirtings, mouldings and rails.

The weekest part of Arch-vis in LW is it's GI rendering ability. Unlike MAX's included renderers, and a number of 3rd-party renders for it, you cannot think of LW's GI rendering as the sole meathod of lighting internal scenes. Instead you will save yourself a lot of grief and achieve far better results if you think of LW's GI as just a small(ish) part of the overall lighting solution, just the final polish to the more traditional 3D lighting set up if you like.

Leonardo Vega
09-19-2005, 04:06 PM
I can't afford Max :) I have C4D R8.2 and I'm looking to add LW or XSI to my pipeline (although XSI's rendertree seems a bit complex for my needs).

Will LW8.5 or 9 offer any archi tools (like snap to point, snap to midpoint, snap to center of poly, etc)?

- Leo

Leonardo Vega
09-19-2005, 07:25 PM
I tried to convert it to a eps, but it didn't load in LW. Plus, I don't have Illustrator (I had to use some converter off the net).

Too bad there is no easy way to get this into LW.

- Leo

uncommongrafx
09-19-2005, 08:08 PM
Pick earlier versions of the eps or ai file format until one pops into LW; I don't use them enough to remember, but LW's format reader is stuck versions behind that of the main app.
For example, I believe the dxf reader is at rev 12 - 14, so saving in one of those revisions ought to get you going.

If you have autocad to spit out these files, you can get one that works. The same goes for being able to get a useable format out of Illustrator files.

Now is a good time for viz guys on LW. The LW-CAD guy has even spoken of nurbs so even more useful tools should be forthcoming.

otacon
09-19-2005, 10:07 PM
I think you can do nice interiors with lightwave. Lightwaves renderer has a good look to it.

Freak.
09-19-2005, 10:48 PM
I can't afford Max :) I have C4D R8.2 and I'm looking to add LW or XSI to my pipeline (although XSI's rendertree seems a bit complex for my needs).

Will LW8.5 or 9 offer any archi tools (like snap to point, snap to midpoint, snap to center of poly, etc)?

- Leo
LW does offer all of the above......

In regards to CAD files, try and download a copy of Rhino,
http://www.rhino3d.com/

The Demo will give you 25 saves.....
And is excellent for converting CAD and IGES formats....

This will convert CAD files to a LW friendly file format....
(and keep the details) There is a plugin for LW called LWCAD...
Which will be updated soon, to support AutoCad translations...

Hope it helps...

Leonardo Vega
09-19-2005, 11:10 PM
I checked out LW-CAD and it seems very good! Just wished their docs were a bit more in-depth. Seems like they just "skimmed" over the surface :)

For example, no matter what I did (I'm using the demo), I couldn't see the viewport buttons, so I had no way to alter the engraving.

But I will keep an eye out for it.

[EDIT: I'm using LW 8.0 and it closes on me sometimes... is this version buggy? Can't wait for n-gons :D ]

- Leo

Freak.
09-20-2005, 12:16 AM
I checked out LW-CAD and it seems very good! Just wished their docs were a bit more in-depth. Seems like they just "skimmed" over the surface :)

For example, no matter what I did (I'm using the demo), I couldn't see the viewport buttons, so I had no way to alter the engraving.

But I will keep an eye out for it.

[EDIT: I'm using LW 8.0 and it closes on me sometimes... is this version buggy? Can't wait for n-gons :D ]

- Leo

I have heard the maker of LWCAD state it will be upgraded shortly and provide
a bunch of new features which sound good...

LW8 is likely to be buggy (hell they all will be, :))
But 8.3 is out, and 8.5 should be out within a few weeks...
Which will hopefully be the most stable version to date.

pixym
09-20-2005, 12:50 AM
Originally Posted by vegabros
I can't afford Max I have C4D R8.2 and I'm looking to add LW or XSI to my pipeline (although XSI's rendertree seems a bit complex for my needs).

- Leo

LW does offer all of the above......

Hope it helps...

That is not true...
LW do not offer snap to midpoint or center of poly etc. there is a snap to point wich allow you to move a point to another one. But you cannot move an entitie by two points as reference (you have to add some pictrix or other plug-ins for this) You do not have the ability to clone or duplicate entities with two points as reference...

Leonardo Vega
09-20-2005, 04:04 AM
Can't wait to see the new features to LW-CAD. I hope they add a feature where ALL tools (in their plugin set atleast) were being measured. Like the line tool is a dream because of that. While you draw you see exactly how big your making the line, what angle it is, etc. But right now, if I use the knife tool, I have no way to get the middle of the line or let's say I want the window exactly 4 ft away from the line, etc.

Just suggestions though, this app is more than enough for serious work though.

- Leo

brunotag
09-20-2005, 10:19 AM
I tried to convert it to a eps, but it didn't load in LW. Plus, I don't have Illustrator (I had to use some converter off the net).

Too bad there is no easy way to get this into LW.

- Leo
an easy way is convert the file in dxf and use a free plug dxf import http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/ work fast and good

Leonardo Vega
09-20-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks I tried using it, but it doesn't import my dxf correctly. I'm trying to import a floorplan, it's not 3D, just lines. But when I import, I see some lines here, and some way over there lol.

- Leo

uncommongrafx
09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
Ya, but the points are the important piece. ;)
If you are getting the points in, you can still do the job.
Seriously, if you want some assistance, do a search here, on newtek's forum and at the tute sites you can find through Flay.

brunotag
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
Thanks I tried using it, but it doesn't import my dxf correctly. I'm trying to import a floorplan, it's not 3D, just lines. But when I import, I see some lines here, and some way over there lol.

- Leo

before export you need to explose the object and after work good guaranteed

CGTalk Moderation
09-20-2005, 04:32 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.