PDA

View Full Version : Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with zhuzhu and Rebecca Kimmel 004

Pages : [1] 2

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 06:32 AM
NOW OPEN!!! OPEN FIGURE DRAWING WORKSHOP 004!!!

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu-Announcement.jpg

Welcome to the FOURTH thread of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop!!! I am truly excited about this, and am very grateful to valuable CGTalk Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum member zhuzhu, artist and professional model, who has generously volunteered to allow us to use his images for this Workshop. A big thanks to zhuzhu! :)

Zhuzhu is additionally running a parallel thread on the 5D Forum which he moderates in China. It can be found here. (http://www.5d.cn/bbs/NewsDetail.asp?GroupName=%CA%D6%BB%E6%B9%A4%B3%A1&dp=0&lp=1&id=1518126)

>>RULES FOR THE THREADS<<

1. Photographs are the property of zhuzhu and are copyrighted as such.

2. Photographs are NOT to be used for ANY other purpose apart from Figurative Drawing Reference for this thread on CGTalk.

3. The drawings created from the photo reference provided here MUST be TASTEFUL, SINCERE, RESPECTFUL, and for the purpose of serious study of the human figure. Those who post silly, disrespectful, or tasteless work will have their posts deleted immediately
and will no longer be allowed to post on this thread. Zhuzhu, Rebecca Kimmel, and Roberto Ortiz reserve the right to determine which drawings are considered to be in poor taste and / or disrespectful to the model/s, who have generously agreed to allow their images to be used on the condition that they be used for the tasteful and serious study of Figurative Art only.

Note: As zhuzhu is a regular contributor as an artist to the Artistic Anatomy and Figurative Art Forum, I would expect that he be treated with nothing but respect. Should I discover otherwise, the offending user will be warned, and if necessary, banned.

4. There is NO TIME LIMIT for posting on this thread.

5. New threads containing new photographs will be posted on a bi-weekly basis, depending on the number of photographs available.

6. There is NO LIMIT to the NUMBER of posts an artist may make. However, we ask that you post only your BEST WORK, even if it is considered unfinished.

7. Artists who post comments and critiques of other artists' work on this thread must be RESPECTFUL, POLITE, and offer CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM. Flaming will be NOT be tolerated, and constitutes dismissal from this and other threads.

8. I will be offering the occasional comments / critique ~ however, the main focus of the Open Figure Drawing Workshop threads should be on Group Critique and interaction. :)

9. ANY MEDIUM or STYLE may be used: Traditional or Digital Drawing or Painting, Gestural, Sketch, Finished Render, etc.

10. EDIT: 3D Artists who wish to use the reference for 3D models are free to do so. I just ask that you post your work here as well as in any 3D forum in which you post your work.

11. Please limit the SIZE of your POSTS to 800 pixels WIDTH x Appropriate pixel LENGTH. No huge posts, please!

12. Have fun, enjoy, and create great art! :)

LINKS to Photographs: WARNING: Nudity:

(http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu_picture-1.jpg) MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 1. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu_picture-1.jpg)

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 2. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu_picture-2.jpg)

MODEL PHOTOGRAPH 3. (http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu_picture-3.jpg)

PLEASE NOTE: WIP (Work In Progress) images are an important part of the OFDWs and are encouraged. Please DO post WIP images as you work on your pieces. :)

Good luck! :)

~Rebeccak and zhuzhu

fooxoo
09-19-2005, 09:24 AM
Oooooo, sexy guy! The first shot is like a clavin klein ad! Mmmmmm :D I like it, I m gonna try and draw this :D:thumbsup:

ojkielland
09-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Okay! Here goes my first attempt at a figure drawing in a year or so - I study Industrial Design at the moment and so most my sketching of late has been focused on man-made products. It's interesting to see how my style has changed. And it's apparently about time I started drawing the human figure once more :D

Thanks RebeccaK and zhuzhu for this workshop, and to everyone else for taking part in this forum. I'm already glad I joined in. See you all!

-ohjay

(edit: probably worthwile to post a link to the thing as well :blush: :
http://users.tpg.com.au/ojk/zhuzhu.jpg)

Slux
09-19-2005, 01:03 PM
Hello
At first I would like to thank Rebbecak for new workshop and of course Zhuzhu for photos :) ...
So when I woke up this morning there was a new workshop so I started with drawing immediately. Well in previous workshops others were posting wips so I though I will post some too. At least you can see as I work. You may notice there is no logic in my shading :scream: I just jump from one place to another but in case you would want to know something fell free to ask.
Ok so here it is. I may post another wips later ... it should be finished today
Btw if you can see some flaws let me know I may correct it if its not too late.

http://draw.sluxweb.net/figure_drawing004/wip01.jpg

- Slux

zhuzhu
09-19-2005, 01:30 PM
hey, everyone, this is the most special figure workshop online, haha, and i was be the figure model at first time. thanks Rebeccak and CGTALK~! and it was have fun to draw myself. everyone just feel free to use that photo ref to drawing.

fooxoo: thanks, the first photo was 11 years ago, when i was 21, glad you like it.

ohjay: you are welcome~! waiting for your post.

Slux: what a nice start~! thanks for sharing the WIP~! can't wait to see the finish~!

keeping busy these days, so i haven't enough time to do finish work, maybe later. just a quick sketch here first. about 15 minutes with watercolor on sketch pad.

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuhaibobo/545.jpg

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 02:38 PM
fooxoo,

ROFL, yep, we should all have zhuzhu's genes! :scream:

ohjay,

Welcome to the forum! Did you post an image? Nothing appears, at least for me. If you could repost, that would be great! :)

Slux,

You're totally welcome, and it's great to have you here! I would be careful not to render too quickly ~ though your job so far is excellent, I think the right shoulder is starting to look a bit off, so try to get a very loose gestural drawing in first before you completely render. You may even want to try a few loose practice drawings on a separate sheet of paper, just to loosen up your hand. That left shoulder is looking fantastic! Be careful on the lips, as you do not want them to look 'outlined'. Keep going, you are doing a great job! And the purpose here is definitely to show WIPs and to get feedback. :thumbsup:

zhuzhu,

Great to see your self~portrait! :scream: Great job, looking forward to seeing more! :thumbsup:

Cheers! :)

~Rebeccak

madskillz18
09-19-2005, 04:13 PM
This is a great thread. I'll definitely use this as reference.

electricsketchbook
09-19-2005, 04:24 PM
Cool zhuzhu, nice to see you gave your shots to work from. I might throw a few to rebecca later on now that you did. I will post one of these later.

Thanks zhuzhu and Rebecca,

11th

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:26 PM
madskillz18,

Glad you think so, thanks! I checked out your WIP, looks really cool! Have you seen this thread:

3D DIGITAL ARTISTS (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257442)

There's a lot of great work there already...why not post yours up when you're through with your model? :)

Kyle,

Good to see you here! You should definitely participate. :)

~Rebeccak

Slux
09-19-2005, 04:29 PM
Ok here is my second wip ... hmm I'am really slow ... I start to doubt it will be finished today.

To Rebbecak: Thanks for crits .... I know I should at first render all areas just loosly but I always stick to some areas and render them :) dunno why ... but anyway this is not final redering its just undercoat ... there will be a lot of changes in values and so ...
So here it is .. second wip

http://draw.sluxweb.net/figure_drawing004/wip02.jpg

- Slux

purb36
09-19-2005, 04:30 PM
oi! :scream:

hey, rebecca, thx for pointing this place out to me. :) hey, yall, i'm new in town. :D

was mostly interested in the shading than anything else. dont know if i got it down, but i like whats there, not really gonna mess with it more, just something real quick to do. enjoy.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/2937/file0163ba0ua.jpg

:thumbsup:

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:37 PM
Slux,

No problem! Rendering tightly is not a bad thing, but it is good to get in the habit of loosening up just slightly to get a rhythmic flow to a figure which is necessary to give it a sense of life. :)

This is looking really great so far ~ I would, however, reconsider the drawing of the right arm, as currently the bulge representing the upper arm is too generic and does not accurately describe his real upper arm ~ I would break this one rounded curve into at least 4~5 smaller, and straighter curves which delineate the muscles. The left arm is looking really good, and I think is better descriptively than the right.

Be careful not to make the face look too flat by shading it all at once and all over. Zhuzhu has a rather chiseled face which you will want to describe.

The key too to getting the face to read properly is to make sure that the fundamental axes are well in place ~ you can nail the details, but if the axes are off, then the face will not 'read' as you would expect.

Great work, keep going! :thumbsup:

Cheers, :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:41 PM
Kyle,

I just reread your post and realized that you meant you would provide reference photos of yourself for the OFDWs ~ that's great! Please do send them ~ 300dpi please, so that people may print them if they so choose ~ and preferably full figure, well~lit, and of course these can be partially clothed (I know you, so it would just be way too wierd otherwise!) :scream: ~ and BTW, enialadam put me on to this great model who has a lot of great reference photos which he has agreed to allow us to use for the OFDW 005 ~ but I am more than happy to have multiple models, so please definitely send me photos. Also, I think it might be cool if we drew each others' heads, hands, feet, etc., as this would be great practice. :)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
09-19-2005, 04:43 PM
Rebeccak:thanks~! i will do more drawing.

madskillz18: welcome~~~! it will be great to see if you post your sketch here.

11th Door: that's ok ,man, waiting for your cool sketch~!

Slux: wow~! you did a great job, as Rebeccak said, don't pay attention to details too much at beginning, try to draw more relax.

paint to post before sleeping, in Photoshop 7. try pastel style in digital.

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/546.jpg

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:48 PM
zhuzhu,

Wow, really great sense of balance and lineweight! Very nice! :thumbsup: Maybe something is funny with the lower left leg?

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
zhuzhu, VEERRRRYYYY NICE DUDE.

Slux, nice start. I agree with Rebecca and zhuzhu about the detail though.

Slux
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
Rebbecak: thanks for crits I will try to work on right hand more ... I know there are some flaws but hopefully it will turn out well ... at least I hope so :scream:
And about face ... and didn't work on it yet so we will see later how it will look :) its is just a undercoat .. I know right now it looks really flat

zhuzhu: hehe ok I will try it :) ....

- Slux

zhuzhu
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Rebeccak: thanks~! maybe i need go sleeping now(11:51 pm in shanghai now), a little bit tire, sorry for that leg's bug~~~

11th Door: thanks~~~!!! can't waiting to see your pic~~~!

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Slux,

Lol, you have a lot of fans cheering you on! :) Good luck. :)

~Rebeccak

Slux
09-19-2005, 06:57 PM
Ok so here is wip 3 just some loose rendering as suggested. I will tighted it later. Hmm I should really learn some proper ways how to draw ... but you know I'am just beginner some of you guys already draw for decades I have started seriously with drawing like half year ago and I think that during this half year I have drawn more pictures than in last ten years. Just give me time and I will get better. I really need to work on my skills so expect you will see me around quite often :)

Ok enough of talking here is my wip ... I think thats all for today I will work on it tomorrow.

http://draw.sluxweb.net/figure_drawing004/wip03.jpg

- Slux

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 07:06 PM
Slux,

You are doing a beautiful job so far, and it's easy for me to forget how short a period of time you have been drawing! You did such a fantastic job in the Anatomy Review Lesson 003, and I am thrilled to hear that you will be a regular frequenter of the forum. :)

If it's ok, I might do a little drawover for you in the next day or so, and will post that.

Great work so far, and look forward to seeing more! :)

~Rebeccak

Katea
09-19-2005, 07:40 PM
Oh, now is my turn to post something ;)) Rebecca, I hope you don't mind if I post a kind of a WIP process :)

Here is the first stage of the piture - a rough 15 - 20 min sketch. I already see one mistake to correct ;)

http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/9903/zhumine17xt.jpg

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 07:52 PM
Katea,

Great to see your work here ~ thank you for posting! :)

I think you have a great start! The one thing I notice is the wrists ~ I think they are a bit bulgy for the figure? I would also adjust the drawing of his right clavicle a bit ~ the left clavicle is nicely drawn, and I would just suggest matching that one. Try to make the pecs really feel as though they are attached to the underlying mass of the chest...instead of just floating on the surface. I would encourage you to really refine the drawing to perfection before you begin shading, as, as you know, once you begin to shade, the drawing will be difficult to adjust (traditionally).

Great work so far, and I look forward to seeing your updates! :)

Note to everyone: I updated the first post so that it is more clear that WIP images are very much encouraged ~ the purpose of the OFDWs is to help one another, and as such, it's great to see everyones' in~progress working methods. :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 08:45 PM
purb36,

Ok, I can finally see your work!! It looks great! I hope you will continue to work on it more, and perhaps finish the whole figure, but understand it you don't have time. Great stuff, hope to see more of your work on the Anatomy Forum! :)

~Rebeccak

Katea
09-19-2005, 09:54 PM
How about it now? :) The face needs slight changes I know. I started with drawing the background since it is very important. :) BTW, the scale is small, so don't exactly like the texture, especially scanned :/

http://img315.imageshack.us/img315/8799/zhumine27kn.jpg

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 09:59 PM
Katea,

Your work so far on this is really beautiful, and the only thing I would say at this point is to look hard at his left wrist, and make sure that it is drawn to your complete satisfaction before going in to shade. The hair and ear are especially well~rendered. I would just watch the major axes of the face as these will be more important to the viewer's ability to 'read' the face than the details. Additionally, I would suggest adjusting the highlight on the nose so that it is not quite so shiny in a single stripe down the middle. Keep going, you are making excellent progress! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Corvax
09-19-2005, 10:31 PM
http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/zhuzhu_wip_01.jpgOkay so this is not only my first attempt (,still very much a work in progress), its also my first post in the artistic anatomy forum so I do hope you like it.

--Dave.

Arctis
09-19-2005, 10:36 PM
Nice job everyone.

ZHUZHU : great textures : I would love to have your brushes, BUT it's impossible for me to download it from your dedicated thread. can you help me ?
I'm using photoshop CS on mac G5, do you think it will work ?

Thanks by advance.

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 10:40 PM
Dave,

Welcome to the forum! We're happy to have you here ~ thanks for posting your work! :thumbsup:

I think your work on the torso especially is quite nice ~ his left arm in particular, I think, is very nicely drawn. The thing I would focus on is getting the head up to the same level of quality. I know that this can be quite difficult working with charcoal in smaller areas such as can be found in the features of the face. But keep working on it, and you will get there. I would look at Katea's drawing, specifically to note the amount of skull mass there is on the top of the head. This is what you want. Believe it or not, eyes are not in the upper part of the face, but rather are more toward the middle of the face. So there should be more to the top of his head than there already is.

Also, make sure that the tilt of the head with relation to the body is right. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to get AXES over DETAILS correct. Axes will make or break how the body and the head will 'read'.

You're doing a great job, and I really look forward to your next update! :)

EDIT:Hey, Arctis! :) Hope you will be joining us! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Goliath
09-19-2005, 10:57 PM
hi Rebekka, decided to draw some in advance to the "drawing on the past" workshop
so i started here, today, with picture 1. seeing Kateas work, i realised i spent far too little time :P

so i will draw it once more or something

http://www.illusions.dk/billeder/workshop1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-19-2005, 11:08 PM
Goliath,

Great to see your work here! And thanks so much for signing up for my Workshop ~ I am thrilled that you will be in the class! :)

I think you have a great start here. The tilt of the head is quite nice ~ though I think the facial features are just a bit off~center. The arms are looking fantastic ~ but I think the underlying upper torso needs to be more volumetric, so that it really appears that the arms are resting on top of this mass.

I think his lower right arm is looking a bit too straight, as opposed to the lovely organic flow apparent in the rest of the arms. Also, I think that the left hand is rather small, and needs to be about 2~3 times the size it is currently.

Also, make sure to give him a neck ~ right now, he does not appear to have one.

Generally, I think you have a lot of the basic ingredients here that are working well independently ~ what I recommend focusing on is getting all of these independent elements to work together as an organic, and rhythmic, whole.

Great job so far, and I really look forward to seeing your update! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-19-2005, 11:55 PM
zhuzhu: first of all, really appreciate you for doing this:thumbsup: ! kinda impossible nowadays (or at least here, in my c) to find male model willing for figure drawings. and all of your poses are just great! will definetely try to do them all. and damn man, your last pastel style just kills:buttrock: !!

slux: very nice!. you've got very strong observation on details so far, keep it up.

katea: wow, looks amazing so far!. kudos for taking such patience on the rendering as the result is quite amazing. looking forward for your updates.

corvax: looking great so far. maybe you could try flip the pic horizontally to help get a fresh perspective to see what might went off with the pic.

goliath: great job so far! i recommend to flip the pic horizontally while reading what our dear Rebecca:thumbsup: has pointed out, might help i think. looking forward for your updates!

can't resist to quickly join class 04 when saw it's started tonight, so here's what i've got so far for the class entry! trying a lil more of oil painted style in digital.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/class4zhu1wip.jpg

keep up the good works everyone!

Llynna
09-20-2005, 12:30 AM
great work guys and gals :)

after sitting out ofw 3, i am back :). too much to do the last 2 weeks, the challenge coming up, some university stuff and had to move from my flat because of a leaking water pipe and now had to renovate *grrr*

this is around 40 minutes. no inital sketch jused. just blocked colours in and after that defined them further.

http://666kb.com/i/10s435l0p80zk.jpg

Katea
09-20-2005, 01:05 AM
Well I guess it's finished :)

http://img257.imageshack.us/img257/2707/zhufin28de.jpg

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 01:57 AM
Guys,

The work here looks fantastic...I can only look really briefly at it now, but let's just say there's some really impressive stuff here!

Checkin' back later. :)

~Rebeccak :applause: :applause:

zhuzhu
09-20-2005, 03:24 AM
it is great to see so many nice drawing when i wake up this morning~! everyone good work~!

Katea: i really like your first step use the linework,cool~! but in step.2, it was a little bit strange on my face, ha ha, i think you will handle this in next step. finish already?

Corvax: wow~! am i look like Schwarzenegger ? cool muscle~~~

Arctis: thanks~! but my ps brushes can't run on MAC, my friend just test before, she also use G5. sorry for that. if you like that pastel brush, i can show you the brush setting.

Goliath: nice paper texture there, very classicism.

b2dermawan: thanks~! glad you like that pastel style work. and your work is cool~!

Llynna:haha, very special style, looks strong, l like it~!

Goliath
09-20-2005, 03:32 AM
let me say, Katea, thats really amazing :)

I drew a new picture, where I devided the picture into 4x6 squares, and drew those squares on my paper so i could get the outline right.
i added more volume tho the lower part of the torso and fixed the little hand (i hope) and i dunno how successfull i was about the neck. according to your words Rebecca, thanks :)

b2dermawan: thanks, aye was confusing to read at first ;)
zhuzhu: thx, 1 randon color + multiply on scan ;)
And as most people has already said, thank you for providing your great pictures!

edit: hm I can see I drew his left ear wrong and the right one aswell

http://www.illusions.dk/billeder/workshop2.jpg

Loulu79
09-20-2005, 03:34 AM
Umhmm...yep...most definitely need the practise on male anatomy...let me see what I come up with.

Katea: You've nailed the masculine anatomy so well! I must do otherwise. Your strokes for lighting is put in the right places .... this shows me he has muscular volume. The only crit from me would be his right shoulder (left for us) ... the muscles there don't look right.

Llynna: I feel you're getting somewhere with this pic....but you need to work with his volume and muscular proportions...his torso is also a bit twisted. It's coming along though...

b2dermawan: Nice warm colours and lighting...but his left arms at his biceps look way out...too far out I would say...tone it down there...

Goliath: You got the face solid to me...your mastering his facial expression here...but your weakness in this pic is his upper torso: His arms and chest. You're working good though...

Corvax: Your obvious strong point is the bodily features but your weakness in this pic is the facial expression...for this pic I see that...not bad practise period.

Great job in even sharing your works with the rest of us...I need to do this too!

Goliath
09-20-2005, 03:37 AM
Goliath: You got the face solid to me...your mastering his facial expression here...but your weakness in this pic is his upper torso: His arms and chest. You're working good though...

yeah but i replied with an update while you were writing this :D
;)

lanternkid
09-20-2005, 05:15 AM
:bounce:Ahh, I need to find time to do, all these awesome drawings make me wanna draw too :cry: Must find time away from study, it's already driving me nuts. And I second b2 on that male model thing, there aren't very many willing to do poses for life drawing here either, thanks for the good photos~

Goliath I like the shading you got, looks really nice especially around the arms and where you've done the veins. I think maybe for the face you could try placing the features by looking at where the shadows are on the skin and rendering those, getting the shadows and stuff in the exact right place helps with making everything else correctly proportioned too. It's really looking great but!

Katea your value control soo~ nice, and you started on white paper too (white paper is intimidating to me, makes me scared I'll make a mistake). Graphite (?) control really nice too.

Llynna, nice start, post more! Geez all you digital-media people here scare me, you're all wicked with tablets and stuff...

b2 always nice to see your colouring, such warm colours. Dude you're quick too...

Corvax take the others' advice about the face, your tones and stuff look super nice though!

Slux post more man, your style is really sweet, very clean and polished-looking, especially the bits where you've worked the shading more.

Hehe purb36 I like how you shade, you've got a good grasp on lightingstuffs.

zhuzhu, your watercolour skills are so good ...:eek:

Aargh now it's quarter past 2 and I haven't done any study yet! Wicked pictures everyone!!

Dark3D
09-20-2005, 05:41 AM
Well, here is my quick sketch. :)

http://www.dark3d.com/Gallery/images/page_MaleCG4.jpg

Arctis
09-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Hey,

ZHUZHU : thanx : if you've time to list the settings, I should be able to recreate the brushes. It would be a great tip.

Rebecca : hey, how are you ? I'll try to join, but only have very few time right now
PS : I was wondering : Are you vietnamese ?

Sorry for the lack of comments, but everybody's work (especially on the first pose) is coming along very nicely.

PSR
09-20-2005, 12:44 PM
Really nice WIP's so far. Good to see more people joining in the fun. Also add my thanks to zhuzhu for the photos.

Rebeccak, WIP, noted. So a special effort to show to show the process from the beginning:

http://img253.imageshack.us/img253/862/zhuzhuvalues6am.jpg

three layers: transparent, dark grey over white. Using the Eraser and brush to establish the tonal range and overall proportions of the pose. By picking out the highlights and painting the darks.

http://img301.imageshack.us/img301/5236/zhuzhugs14rz.jpg

Establishing the palette, 3 darks, 3 mids and 3 lights. Also start to bring in the figures environment. I accidentally drew the figure on the background layer, (not wanting to). So I masked it off and cut it out. Gave the background some blur, and now the figure has a halo. I'm thinking, I can use it for a rim lighting effect later.

zhuzhu
09-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Arctis: here is the brush setting, hope it's useful.

step.1:

loading [ Dry Media] brush.

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/brushsetting01.gif

step.2:

choice [Pastel on Charcoal Paper] brush.

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/brushsetting02.gif

step.3-4

do these setting

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/brushsetting03.gif

http://usera.imagecave.com/zhuzhu/brushsetting04.gif

augustus
09-20-2005, 01:38 PM
OK, this is a wip:

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_small.jpg

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 01:52 PM
Dark3D,

Hey, this is a really cool approach! Great to see your work here...just a few comments now, will post more later. :)

Arctis,

Hey there! :) Hope you can join us. Nope, I'm Korean. But I've gotten all kinds of guesses. ;)

PSR,

Very cool to see this! Just a quick peek for now...but very nice so far!

augustus,

Great to have you join us! :) Great work so far...more comments later. :)

~~
Great to see so much great stuff, guys!! :bounce:

~Rebeccak

Corvax
09-20-2005, 02:03 PM
Thanks for tips and comments everybody

so next update.
that face is still causing me problems, its better IMO but far from there yet :shrug: .

http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/zhuzhu_wip_02.jpg

--dave

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 02:41 PM
Dave,

It's great to see your update! :) Thanks for posting. :)

I think the thing I am noticing is the difference in size of the two arms ~ his left arm is looking disproportionately large from his right, and from the rest of the body. I really like the rendering of the right arm, and wonder if it is at all possible to scale the size of the left? I know this can be difficult with charcoal. But as this is primarily an exercise in seeing, I think it is useful to point things out, even if they cannot necessarily easily be changed. :)

I think the top of the head does look better. What I would recommend doing is to also try a separate head study ~ just drawing the head, on the same size paper, so that it takes up about 3/4 of the page. This, I think, will enable you to concentrate on just those features, and with more precision due to the greater amount of space. :)

Keep going, making refinements specifically to his left arm. Your overall drawing ability is quite solid, and it just takes practice to get a new pose right. You're definitely on the right track! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

purb36
09-20-2005, 05:30 PM
since this is only my second post here (on CGT), itll have to be moderated so itll show up long after its posted. anyway...

zhu - i cant help but think that you're cheating...i mean, its YOU! you BETTER be able to draw yourself well. ;) j.k. two totally different styles you show in these, each equally awesome. cheers. :applause:

slux - the shape of his right (left side of the page) upper arm is off from the picture; the bulge should be closer to the shoulder than it is to the elbow. the bottom of the pecs of his chest are actually misaligned, his left pec (right side of the page) should be slightly lower than his right one. good job with the shading though, cant wait to see the rest; g'luck!

katea - really nice job with the pic. as for the expression, his right eye (left side of the page) is actually a little more open than you have it...changes the whole expression. we should see more of the black of his eye as well. really good job with the hair. coolness.

corvax - between the first and second stages you made his cheeks much wider...they should be more narrow, and his face more rectangular. the chin should be a little narrower, and the eyes and lips slightly smaller. the right side of his lip (left side of the page) should have more of an upward curve to it, following the shape of the face. keep at it dude, you're getting there...awaiting stage 3. :)

goliath - the thing i like most about your drawing is the expression, you seem to have gotten it down pretty well. the upper part of his forearms is a little small, try to widen it a little bit next time. also, the width of his bicep at the widest part is about equal to the width of his left (right side of the page) chest, so you may want to widen that a little. watch the shading around the neck and jaw area, cause it's easy for the head to appear detached if the contrast isnt right. keep working at it man, get it down richt; you can do it! :thumbsup:

b2d - where's his underwear? :shrug: good start to the piece, the colors seem like they match the values fairly well. very nice proportions; good lips too. :D

llynna - nice so far. on his right arm (left on the page), his bicep should jut out wider than the widest part of his shoulder, this will help create the illusion of depth as his arm is sticking forward away from his body...at the moment, it looks more like its hanging straight down and consequently is really short in proportion to the rest of his body. nice job with his left arm (right side of page); are you working more or are you done with it?

dark3d - i really like the values on his left (right side of the page) side; on the right, it looks like you just wanted to finish cause his arm looks kinda flat. if you decide to work on this more, i would say try to soften the shading on his right (left side of the page) arm and use the planes to determine your strokes; let your strokes show the roundness of the arm. nice to see you here; keep working hard.

psr - nice wip you have there, cant wait to see the finished product. :bounce:

augustus - try to soften his jaw a little bit, make it slightly (but not too much) more round, and the transition from the jawline to the side of his face (on the right side of the page, his left jaw) should be a little higher than the lips, which would make his face slightly thinner and would help soften the jawline. after that, commence shading!

rebecca - thx dude, glad you like. my biggest weakness is shading at this point, and that picture had really dynamic lighting so i decided to try my hand at the pic, more for the shading practice than the figure practice, so i didnt draw the whole thing. yeah, its busy here, but when i get a shot ill be seeing you over in the shading and skulls section as well. if i draw some of the other poses from this, ill definitely post them up as well, and we'll see if i cant do a full one next time. thx for hosting these things dude, really awesome! good luck with work and life stuff, cause im sure you're crazy busy. or maybe just crazy. :scream:

moonlantern - thx dude. shading and lighting is actually my biggest weakness (i just said that, hehe) so it feels good to hear that. i tried to take my time with this to really get down the values and stuff. i have a ways to go, but ill get there if i keep working at it. very grateful for this invention called the internet, that i can have almost infinite reference shots at hand. :D

keep up the good work everybody; good luck with the draw!

electricsketchbook
09-20-2005, 05:44 PM
There is some good work on here already, I especially like Katea's and augustus's. I haven't ever participated in these workshops but since zhuzhu was kind enough to give some shots I thought I would join in. I don't get much time to draw these days and I am pretty terrible at digital work but I want to get better so I try and do what I can. I am using Painter IX (I don't own Photoshop) and I just try to use a different group of tools with each piece.

So here is my sketch. Did it this morning for a warmup. Painter IX, about 1 hour using mostly the acrylic brush. It is a little too soft all over but o.k. for a sketch I hope.

Thanks Rebecca and zhuzhu
http://homepage.mac.com/kanefamily/.Pictures/Sketches%202/zhuzhu.jpg

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 05:52 PM
Kyle,

It's great to have you participate in the Workshop! I'm thrilled you've decided to join in. :)

And the Workshops are absolutely for the purpose of beefing up whatever skill it is you most wish to hone...if for you, it's digital, then so be it! :thumbsup:

Great start so far...I've no need to lecture you about anatomy, so I'm just going to watch as this progresses. I think you will be fine once you get comfortable with the program. I would highly recommend looking into getting a copy of Photoshop ~ surely ACCD can give you a discount of some sort? Painter is great, but Photoshop is really necessary for certain types of operations. :)

Keep going, I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes! :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Hi Rebecca,

I think I can get photoshop at ACCD for about $300. It will have to wait for a few months as bills have piled up a little.

This brings up a question I have had since first picking up the stylus a few months ago:

Since the last time I used Photoshop was 1996, I don't really understand the differences between Painter and Photoshop other that Painter is billed as an "image creation" package while Photoshop is called an "image modification" program. If you have any time, would you be able to tell me the things that make Photoshop different than Painter. I am mostly interested in the painting side of Photoshop as I don't do any photo work. I spoke with Craig Mullins once about a year ago on his choice of programs and he said that he used both a lot but I didn't get the "why" out of him. Ryan Church is back in LA and I ran into him at Comic Con. He told me he actually really likes the feel of Painter in comparison with Photoshop but also uses both together on his images usually. Again, I don't know the "why." I would love to know why it would be good to have both Photoshop and Painter used in creating a single image. What does one do better than the other? I have heard Painters brush engine is better but I don't even know what that means. I will probably hold off on getting Photoshop until I understand why I need to learn it in conjunction with Painter, since I am having enough trouble learning Painter alone right now. :sad:

Any advice?

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Kyle,

It's funny, because you and I are in opposite boats. I don't use Painter (I've played with it, but don't own it) but really enjoy 'painting' with Photoshop.

From what I understand, I think that Photoshop is really good for getting really tiny details and for refining things to the nth degree. You cannot 'mix' paints in the same way as you can in Painter, however. Painter is for just that ~ painting ~ while the architects of Photoshop probably never meant for it to be primarily used as a painting program per se. It's marketed use is primarily as a Photo manipulation package ~ hence it's name ~ and the brushes and such are geared toward digitally retouching photographs.

In an artist's hands, however, Photoshop is a powerful painting tool. You won't, however, get the same brush~strokey effects that you can get in Painter ~ however, you can get a textural feel to work by using Photoshop's various brush sets and by making your own custom brushes (zhuzhu is an expert at this ~ see his Watercolor in Digital Tutorial). You can also use textures in layers and use Blending Modes to get a Texture~y effect. It's the kind of thing you might see used in a Matt Mahurin (remember him?) or Dave McKean type of Illustration. Photoshop is additionally great for combining Photo or other source material with your own paintings.

Frequently, I've taken photographs of or scanned some of my old, terrible oil paintings, and completely reworked them in Photoshop, using the brushes and various image manipulation tools to make adjustments and to paint. It just takes a bit of time to get used to, but there are zillions of Photoshop tutorials out there on the web ~ and there is a Forum here on CGTalk for Photoshop, so you might wish to nose about there.

Feel free to ask any questions of our members here if you have specific questions. I'm sure they would be happy to help. :)

EDIT: Additionally, Samanthie and I did Tutorials from the Photoshop paintings we did for OFDW 002:

TUTORIAL - Digital Figure Painting - by Samanthie (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=274082)

TUTORIAL - Digital Figurative Painting from OFDW - by Rebeccak (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=275436)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-20-2005, 06:27 PM
Many, many thanks, Rebecca. I will go hunting for tutorials later today. I have a lynda.com membership so I may try out some of the photoshop tutorials she has there to learn more.

Talk to you soon,

11th

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 06:31 PM
Kyle,

No problem. :) You can also ask the Lynda herself, lol! :) The two tutorials I linked above are not about using Photoshop per se, but just about two different approaches to a painting ~ as you know, there's generally no 'wrong' way to go about things, just suggestions and approaches. :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't know how helpful this will be, but I wanted to post something which shows just the general axes of things and how to kind of look at the figure and analyze it in a certain way. So here goes. :)

Note the central axis of the face, and how the perpendicular axes of the brow, eyes, nose, lips, chin, and ears are all parallel to one another.

Note that the eyes fall in about the middle of the face.

Also note the central axis of the body and how the pit of the neck is the hub for the axes of the clavicles.

For the arms, I am just breaking these down into simple directional planes. It is also best to find the narrowest points of the arms and to draw these when you are first beginning to get a sense of their minimum width.

The oval represents the mass of the torso and can be drawn to give an overall sense of the torso's mass.

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/zhuzhu_DEMO.jpg

Hope this is useful. :)

~Rebeccak

Corvax
09-20-2005, 07:00 PM
*sigh* :) back in photoshop. I just needed a brake from the other drawing, I'm getting a little frustrated whit it, the next update on that one will probably be a independent face study as suggested by Rebeccak and we'll see if that helps me any further.
about 20 minutes of work.
its also a wip.

http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/zhuzhu_nr3_wip1.jpg

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 07:09 PM
Corvax,

I think your overall sense of proportion is quite good. I think, however, the mass of the head is a bit off, and I think looking at a picture of the skull might help to clarify things:

CLICK HERE FOR SKULL REFERENCE (http://www.bio.psu.edu/people/faculty/strauss/anatomy/skel/lateral.htm)

Note how the eyes (or rather, sockets) fall in about the middle of the face in the human skull/face.

Right now, the head which you have sketched in does not have enough mass at the back and top of the skull. See how high you have the ear? Take a look at the position of your own ear in the mirror, and note its position. It is not that close to the top of the skull.

Your values are looking really good here! :) Make sure not to go too light too quickly. Instead, build those subtle planes of the face and body with subtle gradations of gray, reserving your lightest lights only for those select areas with the most highlights.

Keep working, you are doing a great job ~ and I look forward to seeing your head study, as well! :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-20-2005, 08:53 PM
It's great to see all the different styles of work coming through.

Great start augustus. I love the clear and confident explanation of form, shown in your drawing.

11th Door. I really like the way your drawing conveys a really solid, impression. As though it were physically modelled.

Corvax. Keep going, don't get disheartened.

A really good tip, when you are trying to work things out. Is to do a tracing, from your reference, of the bit you are getting wrong. Then place the tracing over your drawing to see the difference. Things will become much clearer.

More WIP:

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/9958/zhuzhugs20ax.jpg

Building up detail using smaller brush strokes, blending with the smudge tool, while trying to follow the contours with the brush marks. At the same time resolve the background, (now on a separate layer), a little more.

http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/855/zhuzhugs37po.jpg

Duplicated the figure layer. And using the mask made earlier, applied Gaussian blur to the figure to quickly blend all the brushstrokes. Change the layers opacity to mix with the unblurred figure layer. Merge and begin to bring back details selectively.

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 09:01 PM
PSR,

Fabulous to see your working method and explanation! :applause: It's looking great so far, and you clearly know what you are doing...so I will just sit back and watch as your progress unfolds. :thumbsup:

Very sculptural~looking ~ great job so far, looking forward to your continued progress! :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-20-2005, 09:08 PM
Nice work PSR and thanks for taking the extra time to document your steps, it is very helpful to me. :thumbsup:

umbrellasky
09-20-2005, 09:33 PM
wow zhuzhu that pastel brush is fantastic! Thanks for sharing :D

Rebeccak
09-20-2005, 09:50 PM
zhuzhu,

I agree...just tried the brush, very cool! Thanks! :)

~Rebeccak

PSR
09-20-2005, 10:49 PM
Nice work PSR and thanks for taking the extra time to document your steps, it is very helpful to me. :thumbsup:

Not at all. It's all stuff I've learned on these OFDW's over the past few weeks. Very glad to be of help.

zhuzhu
09-21-2005, 04:09 AM
11th Door: man~! glad to see your sketch here. about painter and photoshop choice, i can tell you something of my feel.

at first, both PS and PT are great digital painting tool~! i have do a lot in painter two years ago, cause painter got a lot cool media brushes, make your digital work like real painting. but at last year, i back to photoshop, why? because photoshop make me feel more safety.

you know painter's RIF file just can open with own, even if you save a PSD copy, but can't save such as impasto brush, watercolor layer in wet and so on. and the most terrible thing is [ bad RIF], it will drive you nuts~! it was happen often~~~!!! what a hell~~~!!!

when work in a large canvas, some of media brushes in painter will getting f**king slow~! i really hate it~! so,even use simple brush, why not in photoshop? and the layer function, in painter, if some brush set high [bleed], like [Oil Pastel], when you work on a new layer, that will get some white edges, you should change the layer blend mode to [multiply]. in photoshop, it will be simple.

so, as i said, photoshop is more jarless than painter. of course, you can mix use them. do the basic in photoshop, add special effects in painter when finished. so Craig Mullins said [mix used], that's the point.

but whatever photoshop or painter, they are just tools, not everything.

zhuzhu
09-21-2005, 04:20 AM
Rebeccak: thanks for that useful preview, even i know myself 32 years, but also feel like new life this time~:)

Corvax: nice WIP, it make me feel [the thinker]~~~

PSR: great sketch~! nice lighting and value cortrol~!

enialadam:that's ok~~~:) enjoy.

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 04:30 AM
zhuzhu,

Thanks so much for that useful Photoshop vs. Painter explanation! :thumbsup:

Rebeccak: thanks for that useful preview, even i know myself 32 years, but also feel like new life this time~:)
Thanks, zhuzhu, that means a lot! :)

~Rebeccak

electricsketchbook
09-21-2005, 04:58 AM
Thanks zhuzhu, that was a great explaination on Painter and Photoshop, I really appreciate it. I didn't know about the bad RIFF thing. I have only been using Painter for about 2 months now so I haven't run into it yet, hope I don't. :argh:

I will hopefully pick up Photoshop by the end of the year. Until then I will just plug away with what I've got. :thumbsup:

Off to Bed. :wise:

shyamshriram
09-21-2005, 07:30 AM
Thanx to the Masters

Mine studies..looking forward for the feedback :)

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/shyamshriram3/21-1.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/shyamshriram3/21-5.jpg

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a310/shyamshriram3/21-4.jpg

Thanx

Shyam

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 07:42 AM
shyamshriram,
It's incredible to see your work! :bounce:As it's now very early in the morning for me here, I'll have to wait til tomorrow to say anything meaningful or coherent...but for the time being, wow, these look great!! Looking forward to seeing next steps. :)

~Rebeccak

shyamshriram
09-21-2005, 07:56 AM
WOW ! Compliments from the Master :bounce: i know ..those are full of flaws...so im waiting for ur feedback...take ur time..its worth to wait for ur comment :)
btw i love ur works Ma'am :love:ur works just rocks:buttrock: and im a big fan of zhuzhu's also...man u r a great artist and a great model too :)

Thanx to both of u for such great help

Thanx for commenting on my sketches also

Shyam

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 08:09 AM
Shyam,

ROFL, I'm no master, but thank you so much for your kind words. :) Gotta go to sleep now, but thanks again. :)

~Rebeccak

zhuzhu
09-21-2005, 09:58 AM
11th Door: means some file date has broken, it was happen when painer suddenly crashed, maybe RAM consume, or use too big size media brush, but usually, it was crash by no reason and no omen. when you open the last RIF file when you just worked, the bad news is [bad RIF]~! only painer can open RIF file, if painter not, that was a really disaster~! Painter IX maybe better,but i always afraid when i work in painer, ctrl+s anytime and save a PSD copy.

if you like media painting in digital, photoshop also can do it. and, i recommend a free software: Artrage 1.1, its [Oil Paint] brush is rock~!:bounce: you will like it~~~

http://www.ambientdesign.com/artrage.html

[b]shyamshriram: thanks ~~~! your sketch just great~! keep up the good work please. everyone in ODFW thread just for learn each other, i think Rebeccak love to be a participator with us, not just be a master here~~~:)

shyamshriram
09-21-2005, 10:05 AM
Thanx for the reply zhuzhu :)
Will try my best to learn from everyone !

Thanx
Shyam

well ocean
09-21-2005, 11:48 AM
this is my two stuff on the paper.
http://bbs.chinavfx.net/attachments/200509/21184541-037.jpg

well ocean
09-21-2005, 12:01 PM
http://bbs.chinavfx.net/attachments/200509/21184954-036.jpgthe head is too small. on the paper.thanks zhuzhu

augustus
09-21-2005, 12:59 PM
purb36: Thanks for pointing that. :)

A little update:

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu2.jpg

PS: I'm doing this at lunchbreaks at work, using a HB pencil on photocopy paper. I will start a digital version at home someday this week.

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 01:49 PM
well ocean,

Welcome to the forum! Glad to see your work here...you have a great start! :thumbsup: Will try to post more later. :)

augustus,

Really great start here as well...nice fine cross~hatching, it's cool to see. :) The right arm is developing nicely. Definitely keep going! :)

~~

A really busy day today...will definitely be posting later...:)

~Rebeccak

jrr
09-21-2005, 04:38 PM
here's my contribution.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a372/photoshopmonkey4/fig1.jpg

Corvax
09-21-2005, 07:29 PM
okay here is my face study.

the scan dosn't realy give justice to the drawing, there was some nice gradation that totaly got lost in the when scaned. Anyway ill try to tweek my scaner and see if I can make it any better.

http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/face_study_01.jpg
ohh by the way this one is in grafite, about 2-3 hours.

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 07:52 PM
jrr,

Nice! I'm thrilled to see you take me up on my suggestion to participate. How did you find working with this high~impact drawing method which you learned at SVA in the digital medium? I'm definitely curious to know! :) Do you plan to take this further, eg, paint it digitally? :)

Corvax,

Niiiiiiice...:thumbsup: I'm very happy to see you do this drawing of the head alone...it's amazing how much more detail one can get when focusing on a specific area alone. Fantastic job with getting the axes and the volume of the head...this is a really good effort here. :thumbsup: What do you plan to do next? :)

~Rebeccak

warpy
09-21-2005, 08:02 PM
guys,
will do one soon.. :)

Corvax
09-21-2005, 09:17 PM
Corvax,

Niiiiiiice...:thumbsup: I'm very happy to see you do this drawing of the head alone...it's amazing how much more detail one can get when focusing on a specific area alone. Fantastic job with getting the axes and the volume of the head...this is a really good effort here. :thumbsup: What do you plan to do next? :)

~Rebeccak

Glad you liked it, I cant still get over how bad the jpeg compression turned out :) .

hmm dont realy know what Ill do next, but taking you'r advise on the head turned out allright :) , so im up for suggestions..(from anyone). thou I dont think im gonna go back to that torso charcoal drawing, (I've rerendered that so much that im starting to brake the fibres in the paper :sad: , so just note that I haven't given up on it the paper has!!) I might completly redo it or maybe take on one of the other poses.

Rebeccak
09-21-2005, 09:23 PM
Corvax,

I agree, it is definitely useful sometimes to take a break from a pose and come back to it. Why not try one of the other poses digitally? Just my suggestion...anyone else is free to chime in. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-22-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi Rebecca
Another sequence. Learned some new things on this one.
Thought I would share them. Hope its ok with you.
If its too many pictures let me know.

ZhuZhu...Thanks your lighting and poses are perfect.
Dynamic and dramatic,
Had a feeling you would be capable of achieving what I was
looking for with lighting and gesture. Wish I could have gotten more
details on face from photo, but can't have everything.
Great job and thanks again.

Everyone's stuff is looking fantastic. Have learned alot from each
of you and am trying to contribute something back, in my own way
with pictures.

Any questions I will gladly answer and any suggestions for improving
my work would be greatly appreciated

#1 Very rough gesture painting just pin-pointing lights and darks
Started out with one color. The one that dominates in the head
That color used to do entire gesture. First step
Then applied the other colors on top of that one.
Oil brushes Painter

#2 Carved figure using liquid lens brushes. Oil brushes on face and hair
Very little blending on this one. Want muscles to remain defined to
give strength to figure. Male figure not female.
Liquid lens brushes work great for this effect.

#3 Hard sculptural look. With hard light. As Rebecca says,
"Burns your retinas out." But still something appealing about it.
Orange and purple probably don't know. Tinted with color spotlights.

#4 Going for atmosphere. Softened whole body exept head and under neck.
Going to try to make him look like he is stepping out of the shadows and
coming into spotlight. As he enters light he becomes more clear and defined.
Reason for leaving head and neck clear and crisp.

#5 Took color out of figure, desaturated and applied
yellow, green, purple, orange, peach, tints.
Spotlighted and blended.

#6 Left color in figure and went through same steps as #5

#7 Close up of face from #4. Used "apply surface texture" found in effects, Painter.
Gives extra dimension to lighted areas. Gives brush stokes that impasto look.
Less smooth more character and crispness.
Defines figure as he is coming out
of darkness.

Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_02.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_11.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_12.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_14.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_15.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_16.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu_Face.JPG

well ocean
09-22-2005, 01:39 AM
Spirit Dreamer:OH,vrey nice.I dig it.the light is very cool.thany you your stuff.:eek:

Rebeccak:I will try to post more later.thank you your reply.:bounce:

Samanthie
09-22-2005, 01:48 AM
Here is what I have so far. The pencil in the image looks really rough but it doesn't look like that in 'real' life. I have begun adding details with smudge and paint tools around the abs and chest.

Zhuzhu thank you for your lovely images. I hope I can do you justice.:)

Very good facial study Corvax.

I enjoy seeing your sequences Glenn. Very interesting.

Great work so far Augustus. The arm looks really good.

Well Ocean I like your style on both poses though the head in the first image looks a little thin to me.

jrr
09-22-2005, 02:23 AM
jrr,

Nice! I'm thrilled to see you take me up on my suggestion to participate. How did you find working with this high~impact drawing method which you learned at SVA in the digital medium? I'm definitely curious to know! :) Do you plan to take this further, eg, paint it digitally? :)

nah, this is just going to stay a drawing, i usually do these types of drawings with pen and paper so doing it in photoshop is still a little different for me. high impact drawing haha, it's sounds like an excersize, it's High and mighty Focus drawing :) .

Vahn
09-22-2005, 02:44 AM
heres my try :

pencil + mouse + ps
http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/502/anatomyzhuzu1color8oc.jpg

I've never done any anatomy studies but im eager to learn in between the other projects :)
My problem is im too impatient when it comes to painting so this was pretty hard to do for me hehe ... i had some classical drawing and painting training ( only guache ) when i was younger .. ive done still lifes mostly & portraits for a couple of weeks so i have a little eye training for relations but i never cared about logical rules & basics because of my impatience.
But im checking everything in your fascinating corner everyday rebecca and was kinda lured in here :D

I made a quick pencil sketch, scanned it and shaped out everything in greyscale. In the end i just put some quick color on in color mode and gave it a little bit of texture with the burn tool and a ps-brush.

mistakes i can spot :

1) It doesnt look like zhuzhu !

2) the head is too big and too far left i think

3) the neckmuscle on the left is too short

4) biceps & underarm areas are a bit strange and lack some shading ( I was too lazy :rolleyes: )

It would be cool if anybody with a better eye and more knowledge could correct me :D

cheers to all in this great forum :thumbsup:

drawMonger
09-22-2005, 02:51 PM
Hi All, here's my starting sketch...
http://picserver.org/view_image.php/HT7R8F3I32PO

Rebeccak
09-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Wow, a lot of great starts here!

Spirit Dreamer,

Great to see your progression sequence, and thanks for all the step~by~step explanations...that is really useful and interesting! Perfect for this thread.

I really like your last piece a lot, the atmosphere looks suitably steamy, and the light source is very clear. It will be great to see where this goes! Definitely keep posting WIP shots, as it helps us all. :)

well ocean,

No problem! Look forward to your posts! :)

Samanthie,

Great start so far! I think the face may look a bit feminine at this point, but I know how quickly these paintings can change...the big thing I would recommend is to double~check the basic axes of the figure and get those to line up before rendering. Looking good so far! :thumbsup:

jrr,

ROFL, whoops, getting senile in my old age! :scream: Hope you will join us in future OFDWs, or attempt the other 2 poses. :)

Vahn,

Great to see you here! :) I have really enjoyed watching your new painting style develop, and I'm happy that you're starting to study anatomy. No better way to start than by just jumping in! You have a really great start here, and I would love to see you investigate this new style and pushing it further through rendering.

I would recommend getting rid of the white bkgrd. I know it looks nice with your painting style, but I think in order to really push this piece forward in terms of values, you need to fill the bkgrd with a neutral tone so that you can build the values of the figure in relation to them. You can always remove the bkgrd later, but it helps to have it there as a reference for all other values of the figure as you are painting.

I would say just keep working on this, and make sure to watch the major axes of the body...and just closely observe both the overall mass of the body in relation to the smaller details. Keep pushing forward with this, and I think we could see something really nice! Focus less on the flash of the picture and it's effect than on getting the overall pose and the details right...and your piece will be very strong!

Thanks for all your nice comments, and I look forward to seeing your update! :)

DrawMonger,

Great to see you back for OFDW 004, and I think you have a great start! The overall attitude of the pose looks great, and it just remains to see if you will start a painting of this pose, and where this will lead you.

Looking forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

Vahn
09-22-2005, 03:45 PM
ahh thx rebecca ... i tried a bg but dumped it in the end ... do you mean it is easier for the eye to see the relations when you got a bg or is it just better for the lightning & shading ?

i need the white bg for that technique in the beginning as it is only on 1 layer and i draw the light form the white ... of course i can fill it in later on when i got a basic shape & light :rolleyes:

Rebeccak
09-22-2005, 03:57 PM
Vahn,

If it is better for this technique to work from white, then by all means do so...in that case, I would just really focus on getting those facets of the body really nailed and perfect, as I really think you are on to something with your unique style. :thumbsup: Keep working it, and don't stop because it looks 'flashy' or 'pretty' enough ~ really push the fundamental drawing that is underneath, as that is the most important aspect to this ~ but do this in keeping with your style, as I think it really lends itself to getting sharp facets in there.

Great stuff, keep it up! :)

~Rebeccak

Vahn
09-22-2005, 06:01 PM
ok i corrected the entire left half .. put the breast muscles a bit down and worked a little on the forearms ... ill leave the face for the end :D

WIP - Zhuzhu
http://img341.imageshack.us/img341/3529/zhuzhu22ln.jpg

Rebeccak
09-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Vahn,

Great stuff here! I can really see the increased concentration on the whole of the body and on the details. :thumbsup: This is just overall a MUCH stronger drawing, and I definitely encourage you to keep going! I wouldn't leave the face completely to the last, though with digital work, there's really no rule or principle...but if you perfect one part, like the body, psychologically you might not feel like finishing the face later down the line. Linda was giving this advice to someone else who had perfected the face first, and who then did not feel compelled to complete the rest of the body. Generally with painting, you want to work the thing as a whole.

Great stuff, keep going! :)

~Rebeccak

Vahn
09-22-2005, 06:19 PM
dont worry frau Kimmel ill finish all of it ;)

Loulu79
09-23-2005, 12:40 AM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Loulu79/MSStudy.jpgOkay people!

I ain't finished with this pic yet! Rebeccak was giving such a good pin pointer on those difficult anatomical spots I need to harness. So while I'm on it...show me what I really need to work on.

Btw: Wow! I'm seeing Spirit Dreamer harness his/her skills in flesh tones and lighting! I need to do that! drawMonger is harnessing the volume and anatomy...Vahn is tweaking away at volume, anatomy and lighting...very interesting...

What can I say...I like the idea of practising together globallly via internet... ;)

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 02:24 AM
Loulu79,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see your work here! :) Indeed, it is really exciting to see so much great work, from all over the world. :)

You've got a really great start here, and the face is really coming along nicely. Advice which I've heard elsewhere is to not perfect any particular part first, as you will have the tendency to stop there. I would work now on the body to bring it up to the level of refinement of the face. It really looks like you know what you are doing, so I would just keep going, and trust your instincts. :) Every now and then, pull back and look at the overall BIG picture and not just the details. I think you are doing a good job of this now, just don't get too hung up in the small bits first.

Great to have you on board, and look forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 04:20 AM
Well, with so much good work going on here, I couldn't resist giving this a try...I'll show the face of what I have so far, the rest is...unmentionable. ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/my-version_2.jpg

Finally working in Painter! It rocks...:thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-23-2005, 04:23 AM
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu_2.jpg

I did as you suggested Rebecca and found where my figure was off. I tried to fix those areas using lines as in your example. It's new for me and I'll need to practice that more. I know that my figure's face is a little short compared to Zhuzhu's in the photo. I refined the arms, face, lips and hair..well everything actually.lol
I am having a big problem with his hand. I can't see the details clearly even when I enlarge the photo and put a screened layer over it. So I'm sort of guessing what I'm 'not' seeing there.

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 04:27 AM
Deb,

The body looks great so far! You might want to paste the URL into the little picture box in the Edit Post window, so everyone can see your nice work! :)

The arms look fantastic! I would just work on getting the chest to be more volumetric, and to 'read' as more dimensional. I'm sure that with time you would develop this area anyway. :)

I think the face looks a bit stylized, more so than the body...I like the style of the body more, as it is more naturalistic and 'breathes' better. Great stuff, keep going, you're doing an awesome job. :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 04:45 AM
Well, this is very rough, but here t'is so far...lol, so far it looks like a 'Young & The Restless' poster in the making. :) This must be attributed to the 'hunkiness' of zhuzhu, lol. ;)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/my-version_3.jpg

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Slightly updated version...

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/my-version_4.jpg

~Rebeccak

MattVogt
09-23-2005, 06:43 AM
Good work Rebecca! Oh and Spirit Dreamer I love your style. Everyone keep it going!
http://mattvogt.com/gallery/albums/speedpaintings/zhuzhu01.jpg

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 06:48 AM
MattVogt,

Good start! :) The overall proportions of the body are good ~ as you continue working, I would focus more attention on the feet and the head, and perhaps work on the head in particular in a separate document of its own, so that it has your entire attention ~ and then, once you're reasonably happy with it's blocking in, paste it back into your main painting.

Good to see your work, keep going! :)

~Rebeccak

Kirt
09-23-2005, 09:12 AM
I didn't get past the head ... :D

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 01:18 PM
Kirt!
Great to see you here! :bounce:Nice work...planning to finish? :) I think his eyes need to be a bit set more into their sockets...but the color scheme is nice, rather the reverse of the photo. Hope to see your update. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-23-2005, 03:38 PM
Hi Llynna
Was thinking about what you said about having a hard time painting your thoughts or conceptualizing for a lack of a better word. Hope you don't mind me expressing my thoughts on the subject. Might help us both or anybody else who reads this. Years ago I took a class called Creative Thinking, while attending art school in Boston. Part of it was to train yourself not to just look with your eyes, but to see with your artistic spirit or imagination. When you close your eyes and are on the verge of sleep, there is a moment when your mind is between two worlds. One is a world of percieved reality, the other the realm of freed imagination or dream. Objective of the imaginative artist is to capture more than can be seen or looked at with the eyes. And to actually capture what is in your spirit or imagination. Another lesson I remember from this class was to be blindfolded, held by the arm by a fellow student, and walked around a city block downtown Boston. Rush Hour. Subway, crossing streets, traffic etc. Objective, force you to see with that part of the mind I was just talking about, the part sighted people rarely use, except during sleep. As I get older I often wonder how blind people percieve a world reality. They must make up images of pure imagination and see with a vision that is off limits to the sighted. They must be able to tap into that part of the mind that imaginative artists strive to master. Think about it. How do people like Stevie Wonder create the universal lyrics he sings, while never having seen or looked at the world we sighted perceive as reality. Eyes in a sense are a limitation, an obstacle to imagination to true vision. There's alot more to the world than meets the eye. Look into a microscope or a telescope and you automatically realize that sight is an illusion of sorts. See life with your spirit if you think you have one or your imagination if you don't. But see don't just look. Buz Aldrin the astronaut had a nervouse breakdown and couldn't get out of bed for months after returning to earth. He explained it as seeing the earth from afar in a whole different reality. Changed his whole conception of his world and of his vision of reality. I had similar experiences every time I came back after 90 day patrols on that submarine I used to be on. Could only imagine the world without seeing it for 90 days at a time. Taught me that reality is just a state of mind vision. ANyway just thought I would explore this thought of imagination and the artistic use of it with you and whoever else reads it. Might help you to visualize your thoughts easier and understand the conceptualization process better.
Take Care
Glenn

b2dermawan
09-23-2005, 04:54 PM
wow so many great works so far!

Llyna: nice blocking so far. some shapes might need fixes but i'm sure you'd overcome them on the next step. keep updating!

Katea: great rendering as expected! the biceps look a lil bit small while chests get a lil bit wider in return, imho, but quite a fair trade i say! overall very accurate and overall top notch renderings!

zhuzhu: thanks man! really appreciate it.

goliath: hey, no prob. and yours has developed quite nicely, maybe a darker value for the bg might work better for your fig, just my 2-cents.

Loulu79: thanks for pointing that out:thumbsup: , really need that. i will look in to it. About your work it's a great start so far, you've gotten most of the shapes' feels, and from some detailings you've begun, this'll definetely be a great pic.
my 2 cents, if it's okay, i'd suggest to play more on broader value ranges, and then to play with contrasts more. the lip is a lil bit off (easy fix). his left (our right) bicep looks a tad smaller thus inbalanced with his right's, and overall the upper left hand takes "longer" space than it should thus causing his right hand (the one under),esp in area where those two hands meet, quite out of space and off-shaped. for this prob i'd recomend to play with the perspectives. And overall try flip the pic horizontally every now and then to give you fresh views on your work. Keep it up!
moonlantern: thank you! hope to see you joining this class too. hey sure, exams is important to tackle (had my share on legal studies my-self:sad: ), but surely there's no harm to have lil (or more:twisted: ) fun to do one or two quick sketches?

PSR: wow man, great steps so far. interesting to see you work with a very focus approach. and your latest update is really coming along very well, though i'm quite anxious on how you'd define the skin later, as doing it on greyscale is never easy. yet i'm sure you'll tackle that matter quite easily as you definetely are on the right track:thumbsup: ! keep updating!

Dark3d: it's quite complete for just a quick sketch i reckon, good job!.

augustus: hey great and very efficient sketch! any plan to paint it?

Corvax: nice development esp w/ the rendering and the head study! keep it up!

purb36: ROFL:D ! i completely forgot the u-wear focusing on the shapes and tones first. no worry i definetely would put the u-wear on later, or would i:twisted: ? thanks a lot, and hope to see more of your works here!

shyamshriram: wow great sketches! more please!

well ocean: great sketch, and cool style!

jrr: great sketch, minimum line-strokes yet maximum feels on overall figure, very nice.

Spirit Dreamer: always inspiring to see your work develops sir, great stuffs!

Samanthie: nice sketch so far! my 2-cents, if u don;t mind, his left (our right) shoulder and bicep are a lil off shape, study more on that area, esp in the darkest shadow area of the ref, to see how they really shaping up. keep updating!

Vahn: Cool! it's zhuzhu with attitude in the your first one haha!, i personally hope you would maintain his first expression, but it's definetely your decision i guess. overall nice lighting and colours. keep updating!

Drawmonger: nice sketch so far. plan to paint it?

Rebeccak: hey great work and grasp of values as usual! well i won't expect less from you:thumbsup: ! should get my hand on this painter software one of this day. btw, it's so not like you to have the background in almost transparent:) ?

Mattvogt: great proportions overall, and good decision to do those helping lines first! keep it up!

Kirt: cool! really love the colors!

Keep up the good work, everyone!

b2dermawan
09-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Anyway, been slacking-off again... i blame those over-hour works! (and those crazy parties after'em :blush: ) well, this's my latest update and last for fig 1 i think.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu1fin.jpg

C&Cs are welcomed as usual. (just don't ask about the nipples' whereabout, okay? :D)

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 05:00 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

Thanks for your always insightful thoughts here. :) It is always very interesting to hear what you say. :)

b2dermawan,

Wow, thanks for all the great comments! Indeed, on mine, I'm working the bkgrd a bit differently...getting used to Painter, which, so far, I love. :) You're such a great critiquer, thanks for taking the time! :thumbsup:

EDIT: Ah, just saw your piece! Verrrrry nice, as usual, I love your color pallette ~ the harmoniousness of the colors in your piece is quite soothing without being boring.

Somehow the body looks more volumetric to me than the head. Any chance you could work a bit more on the head / facial features to bring them up to the level of the body? The arms in particular look great, and I think just adding a bit of modeling and increased value contrast to the face would take this a long way toward the finish line.

Excellent work, and look forward to seeing more! :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
09-23-2005, 05:43 PM
Hi all,

Here's my little interpretation of the great pose of Zhuzhu
I know ther'e some problem with the face (in the rendering probably). Sorry Zhuzhu ;) handsome guys are the hardest to draw (like cute girls)

I'll post comments later.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/Arctis/Nu3b.jpg

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 05:52 PM
Arctis,

Really fabulous work here ~ I love the play of muted oranges and blues you are using, they're working together quite effectively! :) Really solid sense of form in both the body and face, and the bkgrd tone is working quite nicely with the skin tones ~ not competing too much, and not fading away.

His right arm at this point is looking more developed than his left...I am sure that with time you will change that. Additionally, the bluish shadow above his left collarbone is looking a bit funny ~ too sharp, and too strong a shadow for the light source. There is in addition that funny cream colored splotch on his wrist which I'm sure you've already noticed. :)

Really looking forward to your next update! :)

~Rebeccak

Loulu79
09-23-2005, 07:06 PM
Loulu79,

Welcome to the forum, nice to see your work here! :) Indeed, it is really exciting to see so much great work, from all over the world. :)

You've got a really great start here, and the face is really coming along nicely. Advice which I've heard elsewhere is to not perfect any particular part first, as you will have the tendency to stop there. I would work now on the body to bring it up to the level of refinement of the face. It really looks like you know what you are doing, so I would just keep going, and trust your instincts. :) Every now and then, pull back and look at the overall BIG picture and not just the details. I think you are doing a good job of this now, just don't get too hung up in the small bits first.

Great to have you on board, and look forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

Gotcha....that's exactly my habit anyway: both hypnotically going and perfecting one area...the other actually stopping from all the detail and looking back...and switching it like it's in the mirror...that's where all my tell-tale signs of tweaking....so yeah...Thanks Rebeccak. ;)

Edit: Arctis' work is my most favorite so far...it has drama and an interesting style to it...how do you people harness the human skin with lighting and all...huh?

B2dermawan: Yeah...I need that input man! Thanks ... like I said to Rebaccak...I was tweaking the face so much...the other parts of the body needs tweaking as well! And it has become my habit of switching it from left to right...but thanks...that has strengthened what I saw in mine too...thank u thank u thank u thank u...And yours is getting much much better. ;)

raptor|3D
09-23-2005, 09:47 PM
Hi,
finally there is printable version around here -> great :).

So here is my WIP. I did some basic shading in order to see how the head will look like.

Unfortunately I have not much time now so I wont update at lightspeed :). But Ill try to finish it as soon as possible.

Thanks Zhuzhu for reference image and Rebecca for new workshop!

Cheers

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/raptor3D/OFDW-zhuzhu_WIP.jpg

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 09:55 PM
raptor|3D,

Lol, yes, hopefully, we will have printable versions from now on...it depends on the model source, but I will try my best. Zhuzhu is looking into getting more shots taken, and the model lined up for the next OFDW 005 has hi~res images which can be printed. :)

It's great to see your work here, and it looks like you're off to a good start! I would recommend checking out this post (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=2662759&postcount=56) if you have not already seen it, and just re~evaluating the major axes of the body, particularly of the head / face, before you really go in to render. You have a very nice outline of the body so far, but I think the head needs more mass at the top / back and there is something in the tilt of the head that is a bit off. Try to make the eyes appear as though they are set in sockets, and not floating on the surface. This is important for conveying a sense of volume and realism in the face. :)

Good work so far, and look forward to seeing your update! :)

Cheers! ;)

~Rebeccak

raptor|3D
09-23-2005, 10:36 PM
Thanks for comments Rebecca.

Now when I look at it after some time I cannot believe I was so brave to post it here! Its quite a disaster.
Ive found another mistakes that make head so horrible. Also the body is not so good - bad proportions here and there ... I tried to measure it after drawing but I missed something - well, it may be theory of chaos :)

I will redo it completely.
Hey pencil, get ready for the holy revenge !!!:D

Rebeccak
09-23-2005, 10:38 PM
...well, it may be theory of chaos :)

I will redo it completely.
Hey pencil, get ready for the holy revenge !!!:D
ROFL! Looking forward to your update. :)

~Rebeccak

Arctis
09-24-2005, 12:34 AM
Hi,

Thanx for the feedback. About the difference between the left and right arm, I must say I don't see the problem... However I agree about the blue, and I simply forgot to remove the white plotch on the wrist !

-Vahn : the body is coming along nicely; now let's start the face : it's the hardest point, to me ;)
-Loulu79 : good structure : maybe more contrast will underline better the whole volume of his body. His mouth is too much on the right, and the shadow cast by his head on his shoulder should be darker. Keep it up !
-Rebecca : hey, cool to see your stuff. His expression is nice (not a simple task...) However I must say I'm a bit surprised by your process, this time. Don't take it bad, but I don't really see the structure behind the painting.
-Samanthie : nice volume already. The right part of his face seems a bit flat, and the volume of his hair is bigger on the left part.
-MattVogt : good start on a difficult pose. ;)
-b2dermawan : hey, cool colors, and nice volume too. The background is a bit odd on the edges, but the mood is really good.
-raptor|3D : good proportion on the body, but don't forget the structure on his face. There's a symetry that has to be respected. :)
-Kirt : hey, not the easy part. ;) I think his eyes are too far from the nose, and too small. And he's got more hair at the back of his head.

Good work, all of you.

Vahn
09-24-2005, 01:44 AM
arctis i like your shading a lot there ... very nice :thumbsup:

just the centerline where the breastmuscles meet in the middle is a little bit off center :wise:

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 02:07 AM
Arctis,

No worries, I take all crits constructively. :) This is my first painting with Painter, and I'm still getting used to it...I'm hoping to use this as an excuse, Lol! :scream: At any rate, it does have miles to go, and I will try to get there. ;)

~Rebeccak

Corvax
09-24-2005, 03:11 AM
I started on yet another pose in photoshop.
I merged some layers by accident so there is some construction still in the image around the legs, sorry about that but I'm gonna save the pain of cleaning that up for tomorrow :).
all so there are some issues whit the right hand and the head I'll have them fixed too.

Everybody is doing grate by the way, good work guys and galls :thumbsup: .

http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/zhuzhu_nr2_wip2.jpg

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 03:17 AM
Corvax,
This is looking really great so far! :wip: Very nice capturing of the essential gesture of the twist...quite impressive, in fact! Keep going, build those subtle lights and darks, and you will have a really nice piece on your hands! :arteest:

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 05:02 AM
Slight update...slow going...:)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/my-version_5.jpg

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/my-version_6.jpg

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-24-2005, 05:18 AM
Here is an update.

Thank you Rebecca. :)Many changes made and reshaping of head, face, chin, lips and arms and more. I worked on the face to try and bring it more together with the body.

Arctis..Thank you I did some more work to the areas you mentioned. If more is needed just let me know. Your image is awesome. I really like the shading style and the colors you have there.

b2dermawan..Thank you. I will have another look at the arm in the shadow area and see if I can add more detail. You have a great image and the muscles look very realistic. Very nicely done.

Kirt I like your head study and you have given him a nice expression. My only comment is that 'his' right eye (in shadow) seems a little too high.

Corvax really looking good, very nice shading and good form coming through.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu3.jpg

Amerasu
09-24-2005, 05:33 AM
Great photos and poses :)

Here's the first pose completed. I wanted a colder feel and tried to go for a more gray scheme with the blue background and lighting. I didn't do much of a background as you can see.

Actually, now that I see it online alongside everyone else's pics, I can see that more muscle definition would definitely benefit this painting. I'll give it another go to fix that.

http://amerasu.randomleft.com/images/2005/sept23a_05.jpg

And here's the other pose that I'm still working on. I'll continue on with this on the weekend. I'm doing it in Painter which is quite different than the Photoshop I'm used to!

http://amerasu.randomleft.com/images/2005/sept23b_05.jpg

Rebecca - Your latest update is really looking great. I especially like the face and think you've done a great job of capturing his expression. It's spot on!

Corvax - Looking good! I think the lighting is working out very well. He really stands out nicely.

raptor|3D - Good start. Your outline looks good :)

Arctis - Love those colours! They give your painting a nice, warm feeling. I think the face looks absolutely great. Nice work.

b2dermawan I also quite like your colours. I love that green background with his skin tones. And your style of painting too. The body looks excellent though I agree with Rebecca's comments about the face. Great stuff :)

Amerasu
09-24-2005, 05:38 AM
Samanthie We must have posted about the same time because I didn't see yours til I hit reply. Just wanted to say that I think his face and hair are looking fabulous already :)

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 05:52 AM
Samanthie,

You're welcome! :) Great to see your update ~ a lot of great progress here. :) The body and the face are looking really amazing so far as individual entities...I still think there is a slightly off~kilter tilt to their axes independently and with respect to one another, which can probably be fixed quite easily by rotating these pieces independently ~ I've done this a number of times with the face to get the tilt right. :) I would suggest perhaps giving the overall image a good gray wash, as currently your highlights are all the same white...this is giving the figure something of a 'flash' effect, which, while consistent, is flattening it out unnecessarily. Keep going, you will get excellent results, I am sure! :thumbsup:

Amerasu,

Wow, I wish I were as fast as you! Great work so far, and I really think you captured the twist in the first pose especially well! :thumbsup: I also really like your color climate, and the mood the soft blues and muted oranges is quite nice. :) I think the majority of the body is really well done ~ the one area which I think could receive more attention are the feet ~ these are quite critical, especially to this pose, with all the action dictated by his interesting twist. I think if a bit more detail and structure were given to these, you would have quite an excellent painting on your hands! :)

You have some really excellent work on the left hand, and the torso and legs especially. Very nice subtle use of colors and shades without going overboard to get a nice effect!

I completely sympathize with the use of Painter bit. This is my first real go with it as well, and it is a great program which I so far love, but I have found that it is much easier for me tor really refine details and make major adjustments in Photoshop ~ from what I've read, it seems that most people work back and forth between the two programs to get the results that they want. I am really finding this to be the case. :)

Thanks to you and to everyone also for all of the great feedback you've been giving everyone else ~ I'm really touched by how much investment everyone has made here, both in terms of their work, and in terms of their feedback! :)

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-24-2005, 05:59 AM
still working on the full pose, but thought this made an interesting image...
http://67.109.19.186/workshop004-2b.jpg

Amerasu - for the first, there's a real tranquility in Zhuzhu's pose and i think you've captured it well :)

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 06:10 AM
drawMonger,

Ooh, I completely concur! Definitely save this image as a separate piece, I really like the expressiveness a lot! There is something about that purple~blue hair and the light yellow~green background that is just really working well! And the sketch, almost conte crayon quality of the body is quite nice also...almost like a Printmaking piece ~ great stuff! :thumbsup:

You know, on a side note, I think that the slightly blurred quality to the second two photos is actually giving people a little more creative latitude with their approaches to these figures...interesting to see!

It will be really interesting to see what the final result looks like ~ you don't necessarily have to take this thru to be a final 'rendered' piece ~ in fact, it's funny how the OFDW has turned into more of a Painting than a Drawing Workshop ~ which, of course, I completely don't mind :) ~ but it will be nice to see which direction you decide to go with this. :) Looking forward to your update!

~Rebeccak

drawMonger
09-24-2005, 07:11 AM
Hi Rebecca, thanks for the thumbs up :) I never really thought about the distinction between drawing and painting in CG...i've always thought that using painter and ps for art was drawing even though the outcome might look like something that might turn up on a canvas??

I took on board what you said and think that I might leave this one in a half finished state.
http://67.109.19.186/workshop004-3.jpg

Now i can lean back, put feet on desk and watch your and everyone else's great art :D

Corvax
09-24-2005, 06:16 PM
just a quick update.

http://david87.users.whitehat.dk/zhuzhu_nr2_wip3.jpg

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 07:15 PM
Corvax,

Looking really good so far! I think at this point, it's a matter of thinking of the piece as being at a certain preliminary stage ~ where now you've gotten it to the level where you don't have to think as much about laying out the major forms or getting the big picture ~ you've done that well ~ but now think of this as the staging area for the refinement of details, and the subtle tweaks of dark, light, and middle values to really get the figure to read.

What I really like is that you are working the figure as a whole, and bringing up the painting all at once to the same level ~ this is a good working procedure, and will serve you well. :)

Keep going, you are doing a great job! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-24-2005, 09:03 PM
Arctis: thanks and haha that part's escaped director's cut apparently. And yours is very nice! masterful play with colors and good use of dramatic lighting. first thought came to mind when saw this is "bullet-proof!". the highlights around his left (our right) stomach is quite off though, imho, making that area's "less-muscled" than it should. Still, brilliant work!

Loulu79: no prob, and thanks. hope to see your update soon.

raptor|3D: hey good start! and that's the spirit, keep it up!

Corvax: Looking great so far and from your last update, you're definetely on the right track! imho, the legs looks a lil shorter in comparison to his upper torso. keep updating!

Rebeccak: nice seeing your updates. though if i may honestly say, i'm a lil bit confused w the progress, your early pics have more define brush strokes while these later ones are kinda blurring:curious:? off course, this could also be just my eyes after 4 straight shots of j daniels:cool: .

Samanthie: thanks. and ah great update, you've fixed some of the probs earlier, and wonderful job overall and esp on the hair. got to agree w/ Rebeccak about the highlighting tips though. keep updating!

Amerasu: wow great works! esp love the first pic, everything feels very natural (as if he's having fun on the beach) and great control with the soft-lighting! keep updating!

drawMonger: great combinations between lines, brush-strokes, and those colors. cool work!

Thanks a bunch to Rebecca and Amerasu for the encouragement! i took more time tweaking the face as you suggested, and this's the result.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu1fin2.jpg

and the detail for the face study:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu1fin2face.jpg

now i'm off doing the next pose! Keep up the good work, everyone!

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 09:14 PM
b2,

Great to see your work! And thanks for all the useful comments, they're really cool to read. :)

I have already told you this, but I really love your color scheme, and your work always has an interesting, almost hand sculpted/modeled look which I think is quite appealing. The one thing that bothers me is the absence of nipples ~ is there any reason why you bypassed this particular bit of anatomy? :)

The face is now much stronger, and now feels much more at home with the body...nice work there! :thumbsup: Overall, I think this is a very solid piece of which you should be proud. Great work! :) Looking forward to seeing your new pieces. ;)

With respect to my painting, you're right...can I invoke my newness to Painter as an excuse? :scream: In the middle of my upate to my Painter file, Painter did as I was guessing it would at some point, and crashed...leaving in the place of my update lovely red, green, blue, and violet snow...Yeeks!!! So, I had to scale up the JPG version which I posted here, and, as you know, scaling a 72 dpi image to a 300 dpi image results, in, well, doody...:scream:...so, I blurred it, and started working on it anew in Photoshop. That'll teach me, lol! :) Ironically, I had just read in Don Seegmiller's book about saving out versions of your file...I was on my second version, but Painter crapped out on me nonetheless...~That's my story, and I'm sticking to it! :scream:

~Rebeccak

augustus
09-24-2005, 10:11 PM
There are so many good works here. :thumbsup:

Since I couln't go to my office last two days, I can't post updates of my first image. Here is the digital version at a very early stage:

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_002.jpg

Background will be redone.

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 10:36 PM
augustus,

Really good start here! I like the painterly approach, and especially the way you've described the right arm, particularly the right forearm. Actually, both forearms are quite nice...and I like the blocked~in approach to the abs as well. :)

The key for you will be to find a balance between the painterliness that you have, and finding and defining form to a greater degree. Do you like the work of Lucian Freud (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/freud/freud.reflection.jpg) and Francis Bacon (http://www.musicweb-international.com/SandH/2004/May-Aug04/bacon3.jpg)? I'd love to see you develop a focused, painterly approach somewhat in that vein...as it looks like you're on that path with this piece.

Nice flesh tones especially. What I would recommend is to add more mass to the top/back of his skull, as the eyes should fall in about the middle of the face. Currently they are occupying the upper third ~ and, as the model's head is slightly tilted down, we are seeing even more of the top of the head than we would from a front~on view. And, I know you're just starting on this piece, but I would also recommend working on separating out this left pectoral muscle from his upper left arm. :)

Great start, and looking forward to your update! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-24-2005, 10:56 PM
Rebecca, thanks a lot! and argh :argh: had i not asked already not to ask me about the nipples' whereabout?? well, since you've asked anyway;), there're 2 reasons why they're gone. First, personally i think they're disrupting the overall muscle rendering flows. Second reason is more psychological i guess, ever since i was little, i'm a big fan of many kung-fu comics made by this guy, toni wong, and he never had them drawn in all his male characters. i guess more or less his influences kinda stick in me:shrug:. And if you see my early wip, i was actually planning to make this pic more of his world, with dragon and phoenix in the bg along w/ yin-yang simbol, but kinda changing lane in the middle due lack of time and interest mainly.
And wow, sorry to hear about your piece:sad: (so i guess i'm not that drunk, eh? great! hei pass me that bottle again!). but really sorry about your painter version! must be a real pain. if i were you, i might have already made a fist-shape hole over my monitor:banghead: ! but glad that you're not giving up cause i definetely want to see more!

Augustus: looking great so far. love your use of colors. keep updating!

Well this is my early take on the other pose. try to play with more colors this time.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu2wip1.jpg
now off to sleep.

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 11:09 PM
b2,

No problem. :) Sorry for the nipple interrogation...:scream:...just curious, that's all. :) Glad to see there was a reason for the anatomical absence. ;) No worries with the Painter thing, c'est la vie. :)

Nice start! I do like the shift from browns and oranges to lighter oranges and blues. Nice start there! I would just focus on getting the feet a bit more accurately rendered from the start, so that they don't remain til the end ;) like we all tend to do. :) Good proportions so far, tho I think perhaps his left leg is a bit short?

Looking forward to your progress for sure! :)

~Rebeccak

Katea
09-24-2005, 11:19 PM
Hi, guys, I haven't been here for some time and so many new great sketches appeared :)

ZhuZhu:: Oh, I guess it's finished ;) I mean I can't do anything more about the face since the whole drawing is 29cm high - the face is pretty small ;) BTW thanks to you I discovered coal brushes in PS ;)

Loulu79: Thanks :) What about the arm? I mean, which part do you mean? BTW Nice sketch :)

moonlantern: Thanks a lot :) White paper is not so scary at all, and it is graphite :)

purb36: Now that I look at Zhuzhu's eyes I see they're more open really, and the black of his eyes are too small but that's what I do - I make peoples eyes smaller then they really are. No matter how I try I can't help it ;)

PSR: Nice shading :)

b2dermawan: You are absolutelly right, I made Zhuzhu's chest wider but I'm glad you still like it. :) If I may say I see you made the chest smaller or the head is to big perhaps. Oh, and I like the texture :)

Arctis: I really like the colours a lot :)

b2dermawan
09-24-2005, 11:22 PM
Rebeccak: thanks for the comments. really need that! definetely will look in to what you've said when doing this further. and now that you've mentioned the left leg, i also see that his right foot also looks rather skinny in comparison with his hands, esp biceps there. hmm, will study the ref more later. thanks again!

now really off to sleep!

Rebeccak
09-24-2005, 11:32 PM
now really off to sleep!

b2, ROFL...:scream:

~RK

dbclemons
09-25-2005, 12:12 AM
Time to dive back in. This is an afternoon's work. Oil on canvas 8x10" raw umber, black, & white. I tweaked the digital photo some to look more like the painting, otherwise no touch-up. Wanted to do something a bit looser this time.

http://www.dbclemons.com/tutorials/zhuzhu_pose02.jpg

Changed things a bit: toned down the lighting some and added a wall. I'm not happy with the right forearm and hand, but it'll do for now.

-David

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 12:20 AM
David,

You have a good start here. :) It's always nice to see a traditional approach. I like the lighting scheme so far, and the upper torso is looking quite nice.

The thing which I think requires more consideration is the weight being placed on his left, weight~bearing leg. Both legs appear a bit thin/weak, and thus not strong enough to support his upper body. Could the legs also be a bit short? These are adjustments which I'm sure you'll reconsider over the course of the painting...looking forward to your update. :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-25-2005, 01:32 AM
Rebecca..thanks for the very helpful 'tilt' tips. I did tilt both the head and body and I think that has helped me alot. Much more work done including a gray wash and more fine details added as well. I know I need to clean up some edges too.
Sorry painter crashed on you. Your image looks good so far, very strong.

Augusta..Great start and use of colors.

Amerasu..thank you for your comments. Your images look great. The one with the blue bg almost breathes.

b2dermawan..thank you and I worked on those hilites. Really like your finished image. Very good. Like you new pose as well and can tell the bg will be very nice. No crits from me so far.

dbClemens..Great start. The area between 'his' left elbow and chest should be a little wider upwards of the elbow. I sketched this a couple of days ago and used Rebecca's 'negative space' suggestion. Maybe that will help with the arm issues you are having. Looks really nice so far and I like the colors you are using.

Great work everyone!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu4a.jpg

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 01:41 AM
Samanthie,

Wow, a lot of great progress so far! :thumbsup: I'm really glad the 'tilt tip' helped, I think that the post does look a lot more accurate now. :) You are also really starting to capture his expression, which is great to see. He really looks as though he is looking inward ~ that's nicely done. His arms are looking great, and are so far integrating nicely with the chest ~ there is a nice sense that the arms are sitting on top of the chest, which is not easy to do. The head's tilt is near~perfect, and the mass of the top of the head is well~balanced with the face. :)

I still think the body may be tilted a wee bit too far towards the viewers' left...but this is a small quibble. Could the shoulders be a tad wider? Again, a minor point, but something which you may choose to re~evaluate. Overall, however, you are doing a great job, and it just remains for you to go in and tweak and refine the value relationships and details to make the piece really 'pop'.

Great stuff, we all anticipate your next update! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-25-2005, 01:57 AM
Thank you for all your comments Rebecca.:) I'm working on the image again right now and will see if I can widen the shoulders.

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 01:59 AM
Samanthie,

No problem! You are so sweet to accept all my nagging comments in stride, lol! Good luck, it's great to follow your updates! :)

~Rebeccak

Loulu79
09-25-2005, 02:13 AM
I see everyone's work is evolving very nicely...I'm on mine right at this very moment...and I'm not sure whether or not I should put it up tonight or tomorrow...I still see so much tweaking before going on to the next level so bear with me on that...

b2derwaman: Yours has such nice, nice flesh tones (how u guys n gals see flesh colors on a b&w is beyond me but anyways... ^ ^' ) . Right now as I'm typing as fast as I possibly can...the only "small" crit I have for you to make it complete is giving him nipples. (*giggle*). I had to say it because I feel that's what's really missing...

Arctis: The only crit from me is that his stomach is unusually bulging out....quick fix.

Samanthie: Yours is coming along dramatically....some crits from me would be that funny shape of his head. You see...the sharp corner in the hair at right...makes the face awkward. Maybe flip the sketch to see what I mean.

dbclemons: Wow! Your choice for flesh and overall colours are beautiful! It looks nostalgic in its own way. I feel you need to only work on the hands and feet. They don't seem to have proper skeletal structure. My two cents.

Corvax: You need to work on his anatomy proportion...because the thighs and legs look shortened. And the calves don't look right. My two cents again.

Katea: What I mean is...his right shoulder (left for us)... isn't done right because of the muscle area...which I find is one of the trickiest part in the male anatomy. It just don't feel they're in the right places if you know what I mean. You're getting very near finished though...My two cents.

Yeah leme go back to work. :D

Samanthie
09-25-2005, 05:09 AM
Rebecca...I appreciate your feedback and everyone elses because I've got to learn this.lol
Well I did it and His shoulders are wider! I had to also adjust head size to compensate but only a little. Anything I might have done can be undone so no problem with further tweaking if needed. More details added to the eyes and also made the stomach more in keeping with the photo. I think I am almost done.:)

Loulu...thank you for your comments. I will have another look at the face tomorrow.:)

Have fun everyone.
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu5.jpgI

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 05:41 AM
Samanthie,

You are doing a great job here! :) You know by now, however, that I like to be more critical as you get closer to the finish line, lol. ;) So, here are a few quick comments which I hope will be useful as you refine those final details. :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/Deb_QuickPaint.jpg

Overall, I think your rendering job is really terrific, but there are some places where the drawing could be improved just slightly. Firstly, I think if just a wee bit of mass were added to the top right / back of his head, it would adjust the angle of the head's tilt just slightly and make it feel more balanced. The main thing with the head that could be improved is the angle of the ears ~ they should be parallel with the brow, eyes, nose, lips, and chin, and to each other. That bit on his left clavicle looks a bit funny to me, and I think just needs to be reconsidered. His upper right arm currently is at an angle which is causing the upper arm to seem shorter than his upper left arm. I think in the photo, the angle of the narrowest points of his upper right arm are more angled outward, toward the left side of the picture plane. Additionally, I think his right hand's fingers protrude a bit more underneath his other arm.

These are all nitpicky things, but I think if you look at these places, you might agree that adjusting them would improve your already really great piece...you know I think you're a really fantastic artist, and I think these small adjustments will only make this piece better. :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-25-2005, 06:42 AM
Thank you Rebecca I really appreciate all of your words they are very encouraging.:) I'm looking forward to making the changes!:)

Debs

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 06:52 AM
Samanthie,

No prob! It's fun to watch as everyone's work progresses. Farther than mine, I might say. :scream:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-25-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi Rebecca and ZhuZhu, too!

Never used layers before.
Thought I would give it a try.
Interesting possibilities.
Just getting creative, not finished yet.

Samanthie: Your figure is shaping up nicely.
Checked out your tutorial. Great Job!
Some really nice styles happening on these figures.
Everyone is a little different.
Nice to see.
:)
Take Care
Glenn

PS
b2dermawan
Took your suggestion to put something in the upper right
corner of the painting...was just waiting for the idea to come along....
What do you think?
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/CG_Two_Figures_2.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/CG_Two_Figures.jpg

augustus
09-25-2005, 03:14 PM
Rebecca, thanks for commets. :) Yes, I love Freud's work.

Update:

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_005.jpg

Right now, left side of the picture is too dominant, due to left shoulder. I hope speculars will solve this problem.

Rebeccak
09-25-2005, 04:04 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

Interesting combinations ~ I like the second better, though spatially she's floating a bit...not a hard fix tho :) and it will be interesting to see if you develop this further. I think it's cool that people experiment with these and do different things with the figures...but I would focus most on getting zhuzhu's figure to read as beautifully as your work for the OFDW 001, which you've nicely included here in your 2nd image. :)

augustus,

You're welcome! Wow, it looks like you've come a long way...the body is looking really great so far, and I would just recommend starting to block in the basics of the face...perhaps you might want to work on the face at first in a separate / new document, to give it your full attention. However, since you are working digitally, I really recommend working on the face at the same time and rate as the body...you might finish the body and not feel like completing the face.

But great work on the arms especially! :thumbsup:

Looking good so far, can't wait to see more refinements! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-26-2005, 12:17 AM
Rebecca I've made all the changes and I like it much better. Thank you.:) Also I found that the arms needed a bit more adjusting as well. I am still having a lot of problems with his left shoulder. It's that top of the shoulder that I can't seem to get just right. You can see from all of my submissions that this area changes alot as I go along.lol

Loulu I have lowered his hair somewhat and it looks more balanced. Thanks.

Augustus his arms are looking great!

Thank you Glenn. Layers are so much fun. I work with them alot. I like your idea of combining characters...gives me some ideas too. Both your images are looking very interesting.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu6a.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 12:50 AM
Deb,

You're welcome! :) Wow, what a lot of great improvement! The head looks great, and the facial expression is really dead~on.

I think the major way this piece can be improved is through the angles created by the axes of the shoulders and the axis of the upper right arm. I am totally not picking on you by doing a paintover, I just think it's the easiest way to point out what I think could really improve your beautiful piece through the slightest of adjustments. :)

So, here is a little demo of what I think is the slight difference in angles between the photo and your painting:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/Deb_QuickPaint-2.jpg

In the photo, the angle of the narrowest points of his right upper arm is pointing slightly more out and away from his body. In your piece, the angle is slightly more vertical in its direction.

In the photo, the angle of the axes of his shoulders is, to the viewer, slightly pointing down to the viewer's right. In your piece, I think you have the angle pointing slightly upward to the viewer's right.

Now, these are very minor quibbles, but I think they may be the factors which is throwing the piece just slightly off.

Additionally, I think if you were to throw in a gray bkgrd and blur some of the edges just slightly, he wouldn't have such a cut~out feel. Maybe this is part of your later process, but at the moment the edges around the figure are quite sharp and unnatural~feeling. I'm sure this is something you have already noticed, but I just wanted to point that out. :)

Fantastic job, and hope this is useful. :)

~Rebeccak

Katea
09-26-2005, 01:45 AM
That's a very fast doodle on a very small piece of paper. I just wanted to get the silhouette right.

http://img347.imageshack.us/img347/9123/zhu14ip.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 01:56 AM
Katea,

Really nice study there! Your sensitivity to light is quite nice...do you have further plans for this or the other pose? :)

~Rebeccak

pushav
09-26-2005, 02:49 AM
This is more of and abstract painting. Values only LOL!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/pushav/random/zhuzhuldpainting.jpg

I try to do a painting a day. It does not have to be detailed but just a painting.

Amerasu
09-26-2005, 03:08 AM
Thanks to everyone for your helpful comments and encouragement. These figure drawing threads are so helpful and I learn a tremendous amount from the comments left for each drawing or painting - not just mine.

Here's my second pose painting. I went for warm this time. I can see some errors on the head/face/neck area and if I have time this week, I'll correct them. I ended up going back into Photoshop as I'm not experienced enough for Painter. I'm going to have to work harder with that program. I've also been playing around a lot in ArtRage and if I feel brave, I'll use for the next figure drawing.

http://amerasu.randomleft.com/images/2005/sept25b_05.jpg

Here's the other one with some fixes though the feet still aren't the way I want them. I also wish the face was better. Zhuzhu's a good looking guy and I haven't done him justice!

http://amerasu.randomleft.com/images/2005/sept25_05.jpg

I'm going to try the third photo this week but I'm going to do a face study.

pushav I know it's very minimal but I quite like it. I also like to do quick light studies like that but mine never look that good!

Katea Great sketch! I think perhaps his right thigh needs lengthening and/or the calf shortening? I think the lighting is fantastic.

Samanthie Wow! Looking really good now. Nice work :)

augustus That's beautiful. Your colours are just gorgeous. I aspire to colours like that :)

Spirit Dreamer Nice combo! I saw some of your other figure work in one of the other threads (first one I think) and was really impressed with the lighting. It was very helpful too.

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 03:30 AM
pushav,

Hey, I think this is a great start! In fact, it's my favorite painting of yours so far...it's quite impressionistic, and I really do think you have a good natural color sense, particularly with pastels.

Have you ever seen the work of the French impressionist Gustave Caillebotte (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/caillebotte/raboteurs/scrapers.jpg)? Check out his work (http://www.almaleh.com/ecriture/signatures/caillebotte.jpg), I think you'd really like it a lot!

I think you ought to really focus in this painting with breaking things down, as you are, in terms of little surfaces and planes which are getting hit by light ~ this is a classic traditional painter's approach, where you block in the big areas first, and then gradually segment these areas into increasingly small and subtle facets, using, yes, Value, as your main guidepost. ;)

I really think that you are on to something with this piece, and would like to see you push through to complete it...great start! :thumbsup:

EDIT: You know, after giving it some thought, I think a great exercise for you would be to do a digital master copy of one of Caillebotte's (or artist of your choice ~ not a comic artist, tho) traditional pieces ~ I think you would get a ton out of it. Why not try it? :)

Amerasu,

Wow, you so impress me with your speed and ability! Your color sense is really strong, and I like how you are purposely playing with different color environments ~ this shows a lot of mastery, and it's quite inspiring!

Both pieces are fantastic, but I am partial to the first (with the orange color scheme) ~ both share a level of finish which is quite impressive given the time frame.

The weakness I think both share is in the feet ~ I would suggest copying the feet to another document, and focusing all of your attention on just them ~ and then pasting them back into your main document, and blending them back in. I think the feet in the first picture are too small ~ remember that they have to bear all of his weight, and so must look the part. :) I should say that if you can do hands (which you clearly can) you can do feet ~ it's just a matter of tackling them, I think, head~on. :)

Great work, and it's great to have you on board! Looking forward to those updates! :)

~Rebeccak

Amerasu
09-26-2005, 03:39 AM
Rebecca, Thanks very much for the in-depth comments. You're spot on with the feet. I really struggled with them and they're not at the level they should be. I'll take your suggestion and concentrate on the feet only and see how it goes. I should do some in-depth foot studies really.

pushav
09-26-2005, 03:42 AM
Finish it? I dunno. I seem to never finish my work. Without line art I am lost. I don't have that talent of painting without the use of lines. My mind wanders to new ideas a lot. Lol. A.D.D. of art lol.like right now i am drawing a pirate. I have never heard of Gustave Caillebotte (http://www.ibiblio.org/wm/paint/auth/caillebotte/raboteurs/scrapers.jpg)
His work is alright. Not bad. I have to get out of this not finishing artwork mode. I have too much good work stored in folders and on cds that go unfinished.

Pusha V "The Unfinisher" Lol.

Amerasu- Real nice work! I lucked up on this turning out good. Lol.

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 03:43 AM
Amerasu,

No problem! It's a pleasure to see so much good work here from you, and so many others! It's nothing but fun to see all the hard work and dedication that is happening here ~ I am really inspired! :)

I think foot studies are a great idea ~ lol, we actually have a foot study thread here, somewhere...here it is:

The Foot - Post Your Foot Studies - 2D / 3D TRADITIONAL AND DIGITAL (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=258085&highlight=foot)

...it would be great if you did some beautiful foot studies, similar to the way in which you did your lovely hand studies...I'm sure it would be an interesting experiment, why not? :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-26-2005, 06:33 PM
Rebecca...Never feel you are picking on me. I can take it.:) I am so pleased with this after adjusting the shoulders and adding the bg which I wasn't even going to do.lol I am so glad that I did..Thank you so much!:) I believe this is finished but I may want to define the lower lip just a little more but for now it can wait.:D

Amerasu..Thank you and all I can say about your images is Wow...gorgeous work!

Katea..for a quick sketch on a small piece of paper it is very good! That pose is very hard to get down..at least for me. Congrats.:)

Pushav..nice value study and foundation. Keep going!:)

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a353/Samanthie_/dlo_zhuzhu_final.jpgI

Katea
09-26-2005, 06:37 PM
Katea,

Really nice study there! Your sensitivity to light is quite nice...do you have further plans for this or the other pose? :)

I really don't know, it just comes and goes ;) I suddently get this urge to draw sth and I just do it, so I don't know jet. ;)
F.i. I started drawing women in different poses, just to see if I can do it without any reference. Here they are - I hope you don't mind me posting it here?
the quality seems poor, cause again the drawings are small, and secondly I used a very hard pencil so I had to darken everything in PS :/

http://img92.imageshack.us/img92/4400/szkicecgt29xj.jpg

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 06:40 PM
Samanthie,

WOW!!! I think you're right, the bkgrd has stunningly improved this piece by 100%! Really great work, and you've got a definite right to be pleased! :applause:

Perhaps it's the compression, but the last little picky quibble I have is with some of the edges, which still look sharp to my eyes...but, this is a simple fix if you feel like it, but overall, I just have to say you've done a tremendous job, Congratulations!!! :bounce:

If you work on smoothing those edges, I think you will have an incredible portfolio piece on your hands, and just something of which to be tremendously proud. Thanks for all your hard work here! I certainly look forward to your participation in OFDW 005! :)

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Katea,

Really great work!! :) However, I would prefer it be posted in the Life Drawing thread...to try to keep this Workshop as focused as possible. :) But you are more than welcome to post a link here to the Life Drawing thread, so people may know to critique your work there. Great to see this excellent work! :thumbsup:

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-26-2005, 10:00 PM
Katea: thanks! and very impressive for just a quickie sketch you've done for that pose (and also for the girl study)!

dbclemons: wow great painting man. it's cool to see traditional work with such quality in this thread. more please!

Samanthie: thanks. and let me say i'm totally impressed w/ how you develop your piece and took all good advices for your best advantage. Your latest update is just brilliant, great work:thumbsup: ! (btw, zhuzhu got hairy hands!!:scream: ) Also kudos to Rebeccak for such great insight and patronage:thumbsup: !

Loulu: thanks! hahah no problem! and looking forward for your update!

Spirit Dreamer: hmm i dunno sir, but right now the pic's focus is kinda divided into two. what i had in mind bwfore was to put objects more inferior (in the sense of point of interests) or maybe just a gleaming background of the deeper forest - basically is just to compliment the main focus of the pic (the main char). don't got me wrong though, both figs are truelly amazing on each own and maybe that's why they just don't blend very well in this particular composition. however, maybe if you put the same light sources onto both figs, and put the man fig much deeper in the bg, it'll work. finally, this's all just my silly thought personally, so don't take it all too seriously!

pushav: nice blocking so far. hope you'll take it further!

Amerasu: your "thinker" pose has coming along very-very nicely! overall nice flow and great feel on the tones you used.

tonight's update

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu2.jpg

keep up the good work, everyone!

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 10:11 PM
b2,

Thanks again for all your great comments! It's also of course great to see your update...this has come quite far, I must say!

That bit of light on his left shoulder, right forearm, and right knee are really just perfect touches...keep developing the lights and darks in this piece and subtle shades and gradations of hue and value. I would work to develop the his left leg a bit more...is it currently too small, do you think?

Be a bit careful, as I think the hues in the lower part of his body are going a bit gray. Remember that extremities like the hands and feet are a bit warmer than other parts of the body due to the blood circulation there.

I really like the painterly bkgrd and overall staging of this piece. I think it just remains to kick that special b2 focused painting style into gear, and really take this piece to the next level!

Thanks also for your nice words. :) Great stuff, and look forward to your next update! :)

~Rebeccak

Samanthie
09-26-2005, 10:36 PM
Thank you Rebecca!! I learned some new techniques from you and I know I'm going to use them from now on.:) Oh and you are right some of the edges look the way they do because of the compression but probably mostly because I decided to sharpen it after I resized it. I'll try to break that habit.:D Looking forward to 005.

b2dermawan..Thank you and I'll be sure to add a little hair to Zhuzhu's hands.lol Your update looks really good. Great lighting and bg. He has a very nice profile too. Looking forward to your next update.:)

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 10:40 PM
Samanthie,

You're completely welcome! And likewise, I've learned a lot from seeing your progress...it's most definitely a reciprocal thing. :) I'm thrilled to hear you'll be doing OFDW 005 ~ we'll have another male model whose photographs and poses are quite impressive. :)

Looking forward to more of your great work! :)

~Rebeccak

b2dermawan
09-26-2005, 11:24 PM
Rebecca: haha you really have a way with words! thank you :thumbsup:!. yup, the feet area are still worked upon, got problem shaping and tweaking the right foot area esp, toes (this one is esp harder to depict than my usual foot study, damn). so i left it for tonight and will work more tomorrow perhaps, also havent' applied all the midtones and highlights on them yet so yes it is pretty much in grayscale state:) . will also look into the left foot proportion you've mentioned. many thanks again for such great inputs!

Samanthie: thanks :) and noo i'm just kiddin! *lol*.

Rebeccak
09-26-2005, 11:29 PM
b2,

Thanks, and I definitely hope you too will be back for OFDW 005! :)

~Rebeccak

justmeina
09-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Assuming it's okay for me to chime in just to say this, I'd like to offer my compliments to all involved with this. There's some great work here and I'm enjoying seeing the progression and am greatly impressed.

Rebeccak
09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
justmeina / Ben,

It is great to see you here! Of course you are welcome to chime in, and I will shortly be putting together the OFDW 005, of which your pictures will be a part. Thanks again for all of your kind help. :)

You and anyone are welcome to join in with comments or drawings/paintings at any time. The purpose is to have as many enthusiastic people involved as possible. I agree, there is just some fantastic work here, and I am very much anticipating the same might be true for OFDW 005. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-27-2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Rebecca:
Worked on the figure last couple of days.
Tried to get more of a likeness of ZhuZhu's face.
More long narrow and chiseled look to his face.
Worked on proportions also.
Left brush stokes, no blending.
Want a painterly look.
Always room for improvement.
Any suggestions?
Can make colors more muted, but kind of like the feel of these.
Don't know what you told Samanthie, but it must have been good advice.
Her painting looks great.

Hi Samanthie:
Great job! I think you have another winner!:)

Hi B2dermawan:
Thanks for the feed back. I agree.
Nothing lost. Just an experiment with layers.
You never know til you try.
Also I like the feeling of your painting.
Nice atmosphere.

Hi Pushav!
Nice block-in and color harmony on your piece.
Time to put some curves into it. Get the rhythm going.
By the way what position do you play on the football team?:)

Take care
Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu-30.jpg

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/ZhuZhu_Face_9_27.JPG

Rebeccak
09-28-2005, 12:13 AM
Spirit Dreamer,

This looks really fantastic so far! I have always liked your color choices in your work for the OFDWs, I'm sure you know that! :)

The bit I find I like the best about this piece is the softly lit area around his right shoulder ~ that's beautiful, and very impressionistic. Watch that his left hand doesn't become too metallic ~ right now his left arm and hand is looking a bit as tho it is made of gold. Also you might want to resaturate just slightly your colors in your shadows ~ I think they're becoming a bit muddy, which seems quite easy to do, from my limited experience with Painter. :)

I think his overall pose is quite solid, but his feet are tapering a bit too much and feel quite small relative to the rest of his body. I really like the way you've painted the hair, and his expression is interestingly serene. Watch that sharp line over his iliac crest ~ right now it seems out of place relative to the feel of the rest of the figure.

I would love to see you push this more towards an impressionistic feel, as you have in the right shoulder, and away from a sort of glossy, oversaturated look...you have a great color sense, but don't let color do everything for you. I prefer the manner in which you paint to the manner in which you sometimes use filters...filters are easy to spot, and detract from the originality and craftsmanship of the piece. However, you always seem to carry it off really well, but I would try to remove any direct evidence of filters which you use. Watch particularly his right achilles tendon...there is not enough structure currently in his lower legs yet to plausibly support his weight. Think in terms of a drawing, and less in terms as a painting. Try to get the drawing dead on, and the paint will follow accordingly.

Great work, and look forward to seeing more! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-28-2005, 12:17 AM
Here is a little larger version

Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu-30-2.JPG

Rebeccak
09-28-2005, 12:39 AM
Spirit Dreamer,

Great stuff! I would give it a more in depth crit, but I have to get some things finished for my CGWorkshop which starts Monday...I hope my other comments are helpful. You are doing a tremendous job! I would just focus on really going in, without any filters, and just painting. That upper shoulder is beautiful, and I would love to see the whole piece in this style.

~Rebeccak

pushav
09-28-2005, 12:45 AM
Spiritdreamer- Wow. That is nice!

Samanthie
09-28-2005, 04:33 PM
Glenn he looks wonderful. You really have a way with bringing a beauty to your work that's all your own. Great job! Thanks for your kind words too.:)

Samanthie

augustus
09-28-2005, 07:39 PM
Update:

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_006.jpg

b2dermawan
09-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Spirit Dreamer: Thank you! and wow terrific job so far! you've such simple yet so powerful brushstroke and your highlights conjure such a great flow to the pic. esp love the shoulder and ankle areas. with such skills, i wonder why would you need any filterings at all:thumbsup: !. a lil 2 cents, if it's okay, his nose position is currently-off from the head's central axis. also i think zhu-zhu has more "square-ish" jaw (if you after for zhu-zhu likeness that is). again, inspiring stuff as usual, i'm looking forward for your update!

Augustus: Impressive work so far! the tones and colors are working very well, esp love how you define both hands and the expression on his face:thumbsup: . both ears looks a lil weird though, imho. Still, great job!

quick update:

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b168/bdermawan/zhu2fin.jpg

pushav
09-28-2005, 08:57 PM
Nice work everyone.

Spiritdreamer- That was a picture of Terrel Owen that loud mouth good football player. Lol.
I never played on a football team before. I was a basketball player for a while until i decided to wrok on my art talents lol.:thumbsup:

drawMonger
09-29-2005, 12:14 AM
augustus, i'm in awe :thumbsup:

b2, i think your piece has a great mood !

Rebecca, all the best with your CGWorkshop :)

SpiritDreamer
09-29-2005, 12:28 AM
Hi Rebecca
Worked on the feet made them bigger
and lower legs
Smoothed out muscles.
Tried to make all of figure look like the shoulder
you like.
Still more to do
Any more suggestions?
Really appreciate your help

Samanthie and Pushav: Thanks!

Glenn

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu-_41.JPG

pushav
09-29-2005, 12:33 AM
Spiritdreamer- I used you modeling tip on my degas remake on my anatomy thread here. I was some what frustrated and then I hear your voice. Use the Liquid lens Pusha V". Then it helped me mold the female in my picture.:thumbsup:

Nice work!

PSR
09-29-2005, 05:34 AM
Hi to everyone.

I've just got back from a week in the countryside. So haven't been near a computer, and could hardly wait, to see what has been happening on this thread.

I must say it's a real pleasure to see so many sharing their process, in WIP's. Really very generous and enlightening.

augustus: I like your treatment of this pose. Cropping the top of the head works really quite well. It connects the top and bottom of the canvas, like a column. This together with your rendering of his flesh tones, and the slightly jagged texture of the backdrop. Gives a tremendous masculine appeal to this image.

Spirit Dreamer: following the progress of your work has been totally involving, very enjoyable. More please.

b2dermawan: The face in your first pose is very strong, really moody. And a good overall dynamic going on with the background and the pose.
Your second, for me, seems to have lost its way a bit in last update. Earlier, there was better integration of the whole image. Right now, his lower right leg, particularly his foot, seems to have got all the attention. Which makes other areas seem unfinished. Really terrific colours.

Amerasu: Lovely work.

pushav: I absolutely love this. It has the beginnings of a really good painting. I like how your small brushstrokes on the figure indicate its flow, and dynamic. You could offset these with broader marks defining the wall and floor. The contrast of those pinks and deep Indigo Blue/Blacks are wonderful. Have a look at some of Pierre Bonnard's work:

http://www.nga.gov.au/Bonnard/Default.cfm?MnuID=2

particularly 'Woman in front of a mirror'

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

You are doing a fabulous job! I have just pointed out a few things in the following review which I hope will be of help. :)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/Spirit-Dreamer_Review.jpg

I think you just need to focus on some of the big picture things, like resolving the values, particularly in his right leg. Also, a bit more attention needs to be paid to the areas noted above...the major things I think need to be tweaked are the lower right arm and hand, and the left arm and hand ~ these seem too small, particularly the hands, which should be in area about the same size as the face. Hold your own hand over your face and note the size similarity.

You're doing an excellent job, and it is quite enjoyable to watch your progress. Keep working on this, and try to avoid using the filters to paint from this point forward. Keep at it, and try to increase the visual impact of the piece by really manipulating Values.

Looking forward to your next update! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 06:28 PM
Augustus,

Wow, amazing!!! You are doing an incredible job, and this has really come a long way since your last post! :thumbsup:

I think now perhaps you should focus on bringing in some selective lighter lights ~ add more contrast, so that certain parts stand out more than others, and there is not an even tone to the whole picture.

But clearly you know the direction in which you are going, so I would just like to see more updates on this! :)

b2,

I think this looks great, but there is something that is just too static about the line of his back. I think that the interesting thing about a figure is always the dynamism of the pose, and I think that this piece could have more dynamism in terms of the linework and expressiveness, particularly with respect to the back. But this is another really solid piece from you! :) I would just say to try to vary the shading and contrast a bit more in the figure, as he looks rather to have an evenly lit tone...more contrast and variation would make the pose and the picture more interesting. :)

Great work, guys!!!

~Rebeccak

augustus
09-29-2005, 06:56 PM
Thanks for kind words people. And I'm seeing some fabulous works as well... That golden guy is really good Spirit Dreamer :thumbsup:

Rebecca-> Thanks. Yes yes, hilights... :cry:

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Rebecca-> Thanks. Yes yes, hilights... :cry:
ROFL...:scream:...are you anti~highlight? :)

Cheers,

~Rk

augustus
09-29-2005, 07:02 PM
No, I'm lazy :)

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 07:08 PM
No, I'm lazy :)
ROFL...:scream:

Crassisco
09-29-2005, 08:04 PM
Hej there.
I finished my next work...it is rough and fast drawn. Well and i am glad to see a man on zhuzhu's photos but as a man i think it's more funny to photograph female people. :)
But I love women! I hope you don't think i am bisexual. XD

Here (http://www.geocities.com/kassjansmyczek/asianman.jpg)

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 08:10 PM
Crassisco,

Great to see your work here! Lol, I don't think any of us would think that you're bi~sexual for drawing a man. :)

You've got a good start here, but one thing I would reconsider is the size of the head. I think at this point it is too small for the body. Take a look again at the photo and compare the size of zhuzhu's head to his body.

Do you plan to work any more on this piece, or attempt one or both of the other ones? Do you work digitally at all? :)

~Rebeccak

Crassisco
09-29-2005, 08:47 PM
I put already a signature under my picture so..i think i will go on with the others...maybe i am too lazy :)
and Yes i do work digitally put i don't have a tablet but i am actually searching for a small job to earn money for it.......and a driver's license, I need an new handy, too and i want to buy the new small console( i think you know what i am talking about:lot of Work).
Here is one of my digital things. I made this only with mouse over 20 hours....and it is one of my finished digital pieces. I hope you like it.
Finally i decided to make anatomy studies after i had finished this Troll (http://www.deviantart.com/view/21847246/)
My other digital artwork is a basic study of the human muscles (http://www.geocities.com/kassjansmyczek/Oberkoerper.farbe.JPG)

See you

Rebeccak
09-29-2005, 09:00 PM
Crassisco,

Wow, you did these with a mouse? :eek: I am quite amazed...I tried painting with a mouse in my school days (this was back before tablets, lol) and it's really part of the reason why I didn't seriously explore digital art until a few years ago. :) ~I nearly died of frustration. ;)

I hope that you will get the money to get a tablet, because when you do, I think you might be a monster. :) Both images are quite good, and I particularly like the way you articulated the musculature of the creature, even though it has some problems. But since you don't have a tablet, I would just encourage you to do as much traditional drawing as possible...it's a better way to learn at first, I believe, and I think you can go far with it. Have you ever done large charcoal drawings, or attended figurative workshops? :)

~Rebeccak

Crassisco
09-29-2005, 09:18 PM
No i didn't work with charcoal, yet.
hm...figurative workshops... I think your workshop is my first serious workshop.
Another thing is:My big brother forced me a long time ago to make a card game and he always told me which creatures i had to draw...for example: A lion with 8 tentacles and 4 wings and 20 eyes and his claws are as long as his legs or so :D. I got bored of these special-supermighty creatures...but it was a good practise to improve my abilities.
at this point I have to thank my mother.
Always when i showed her one of my drawings i was very proud of, she did not only say:,,oh, quite good,kassjan, keep going." She showed me the mistakes and how to make it better.She has a good eye for proportions, I think.
The last point is: 2 or 3 years ago i buyed a special magazine about figurative drawing and about drawing apples or teapots. The rest was practise. And now i am here.
This is my story :D

kassjan

Knilblink
09-30-2005, 12:09 AM
ZhuZhu, thanks for supplying us with the awesome images.

For my first contribution, I sketched the first pose during a break from work today with a 5b(?) graphite pencil, little concentration, no sharpener and an awful smudgey eraser. Regardless, it served as a great warmup and has me thinking about anatomy.

Notice the discrepency between the length of his upper arms, so sorry Zhu Zhu! :eek: link (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23480437/)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23480437/

Zhu is more buff than the Drunken Master!! Wow! :scream: link (http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23480493/)

http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/23480493/

I'll probably have another go with that picture and will definitely take a shot at the others. Lots of great submissions in this thread, very inspiring stuff.

EDIT: My Links didn't work out, let's try something else.
EDITx2: My images are a million times too large, at least, I'll be sure to resize them in a bit. ACK!

SpiritDreamer
09-30-2005, 12:13 AM
Hi Rebecca

Everytime I think it looks good, which is definitely one of my shortcomings, you point out exactly what's wrong.
An artist's greatest asset: a teacher with the eye's of an eagle and a willingness to share there vision of what could be.
I know how busy you are. I'm just trying to say "thank you" in a nice way for helping me, or I should say us, improve our work.

Thank you and
Take Care
Glenn

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 03:24 AM
Knilblink,

Great to see your first post! :) I hope you will become a regular contributor to our OFDWs. :)

You don't have a bad start, but one thing I notice is that the waist is quite small relative to the shoulder width in your drawing. I have a suggestion for you which of course you don't have to do, but which I think will help ~ try drawing zhuzhu's photograph turned upside down. This is a classic Betty Edwards exercise, but it can be quite effective ~ and I think with a complicated image such as zhuzhu's, it would be useful to take a look at from a different view.

Why not try it, and post your results here? :)

Spirit Dreamer,

Thanks so much, you are very nice to me. :) I enjoy very much seeing your and everyone's progress (it's quite amazing, actually) and so it is a pleasure for me to comment on peoples' great work. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

augustus
09-30-2005, 05:20 PM
Ok, I think I'm done (bored actually :) ).

http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_007.jpg

Click here for the super size!!! (http://august.f2o.org/temp/zhuzhu_007_big.jpg)

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 05:53 PM
augustus,

ROFL, bored...:scream:

Well, I think this is a beautiful job. But I still have a few suggestions which you may or may not want to take into consideration. :) Here is a little review ~ there are particular areas which I think are just really beautifully painted. The symmetry of the body, however, is a little bit off. The left side of HIS body seems a bit narrower than his right. I just widened and moved HIS left body to the right side of the picture. I also moved his lower body to the right, but independently. I increased the Brightness and Contrast of the image (this could just be a monitor issue) and increased the Saturation.

Like I say, these are just suggestions. Let me know what you think.:)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b380/rebeccak5/OFDW%20004/augustus.jpg

Overall, amazing work so far...if you do decide to work on it just a bit further, I think you can make this into a really great portfolio piece!

~Rebeccak

augustus
09-30-2005, 06:25 PM
Argh, my eyes are burning!!! :D

Thanks for suggestions, maybe I can work a little more on it next week. About brightness issue, probably it is a monitor thing. I think mine is a little dark, time to re-calibrate.

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Argh, my eyes are burning!!! :D
ROFL...:scream:...I think we have discovered a monitor discrepancy...:D...hopefully your eyes will have healed enough by next week to allow you to continue working. :D

~Rebeccak

augustus
09-30-2005, 06:32 PM
Seriously, are you using an old monitor or a LCD? The image you've posted looks over-saturated to me.

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Hmm, it could just need calibration...tho 'tis only a few years old. :) I promise to try not to gauge your eyes out again, lol! :scream:

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
09-30-2005, 10:56 PM
Hi Rebecca
Worked on this most of today.
Made hands and arms bigger.
Worked around chest area, legs, shoulders.
Changed colors a little.
No filters. Used oil brushes.
Also put intersecting joint lines in legs.
Thanks again for the fine tuning tips.
When you get a moment let me know what you think.
Glenn

PSR: Thanks

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/Zhuzhu-62.JPG

Kalorlo
09-30-2005, 11:04 PM
This isn't finished, but I'm not sure when I'll be able to work on it again.

http://www.kellyhouse.force9.co.uk/art/anatomy/zhuzhu.jpg

Head angle's a bit off.

Rebeccak
09-30-2005, 11:11 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

WOW!! Lots of great changes on this, particularly with respect to both arms and hands. I think your piece is much stronger for the work which you have done with just straight painting. It's quite moving to see the amount of hard work you guys are putting into your pieces. I am continually amazed and impressed. :applause:

I will work up a better review for you a bit later. Running out for dinner ~ even internet junkies must eat, lol! :) Great stuff, Spirit Dreamer, and I will definitely get back to your piece. Great work!!! :)

Kalorlo,

Great to see you here! You have a nice start here, but so far, the drawing is not as fluid as some of your other drawings...though I'm sure this can be attributed to time constraints. :) I hope that you will be able to work further on this and join us in future OFDWs, as I always enjoy seeing your work, and it's nice to have you on the forum. Right now, his lower torso looks a bit offset (to our left) from his upper...this is quite an easy fix. Otherwise, I would just say, start going after those values! :)

~Rebeccak

ericyeo
10-01-2005, 06:41 PM
Hi everyone, here is mine attempt. Mine very first post here. :)

though isnt complete. hopefully to get some comments for improvement.

http://www.geocities.com/ericyeo1982/zhu.jpg

Comlock
10-01-2005, 08:35 PM
Heres my attempt.
Sorry for the VCR quality :argh:

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/80/029fp.jpg

Rebeccak
10-01-2005, 08:44 PM
ericyeo and Comlock,

Great to see your work here! I will post some comments a bit later...

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
10-01-2005, 11:19 PM
Comlock,

Good to see your work here! The overall poses of your figures is pretty good! :) I think that the areas with which you are experiencing the most difficulty are the lower legs and the arms of the right figure on your page of sketches.

Here are some examples of anatomy reference for legs which I also showed someone else today. I think that drawing and studying from books is the best way to study anatomy, but these are just a few examples of the kind of reference from which I think everyone should be drawing, in order to increase their knowledge and understanding of anatomy:

http://www.foottrainer.com/images/anatomy5.jpg
http://www.foottrainer.com/images/anatomy5.jpg

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/legmuscl.gif
http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/sma/legmuscl.gif

http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/anatomy/atlasofanatomy/plate21/images/plate21.jpg
http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/an...ges/plate21.jpg (http://www.vh.org/adult/provider/anatomy/atlasofanatomy/plate21/images/plate21.jpg)

Have you ever drawn from or studied Anatomical Reference? I think it is a great exercise to make copies of Anatomical Reference, either from books or the web, as a way of strengthening one's knowledge, and ultimately one's drawings from life. I was mentioning to someone else today that in the past, artists never drew from models until they had a good grounding of what to expect when looking at the live figure by first drawing from plaster casts or sculptures from antiquity. Sadly, that tradition is now lost for the most part, but with the web, it is possible to study in any way in which you please.

If you wish to do anatomical studies, and would be continuously updating your thread, feel free to create your own thread and call it Anatomy Thread of Comlock. This is the standard naming convention I like to keep for individual threads. You do not have to do this, as we have many threads to which you can post work, such as:

Anatomy Studies of Skeleton / Bone / Muscle - TRADITIONAL OR DIGITAL (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257657&highlight=anatomy)

Master Copies - Post Your Copies From The Great Masters! 2D/3D D/T DRWG/PTG/SCULPTURE (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257446&highlight=Master+Copies)

Life Drawings - Post Your Life Drawings! From Class or Workshops (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257531)

Hope to see some of your work on these threads as well! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Loulu79
10-01-2005, 11:27 PM
Okay ... *whew* I say I'm definitely finished with this sketch...now on with the other sketches. Of course you can comment and crit away...but I'm not going to change it right now...I'll learn what I need to harness with the other pics.:)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18/Loulu79/FinalSketch.jpg

Edit:Wow!:eek: ...after looking at what Rebbecack crits at....I might as well have to be willing and tweak tweak tweak...yeah if there's still anything I need to work on let me know...but I'm working on the others in the meantime.

Augustus: Wow! My two cents though...would be to tone down on the pink colours of the flesh (reminds me of those '50s photos though)...and challenge yourself with lighting and shadowing. Those are just my two humble cents.

Samanthie: Great improve! I'm proud of you. ;) As usual, tweak where Rebbecack wants you to tweak.

b2derwaman: Your latest sketches are getting stronger and stronger...compared to your first ones...(I'm being blunt out honest if u don't mind). I say this, not because of anatomy wise...but flesh tone wise. The colour pics make them veeeeery real. Keep it up m:thumbsup: an!

Crassisco
10-01-2005, 11:28 PM
I decided to post a post of my progress.
There (http://www.geocities.com/kassjansmyczek/zhuzhu.jpg) it is...it think his foot is a bit too small.

Kassjan

Rebeccak
10-01-2005, 11:50 PM
ericyeo,

Welcome to CGTalk, and to the Anatomy Forum! I'm thrilled to see your work here. :)

Your piece overall is quite strong. The main thing I would recommend checking is the axis (tilt) of the head, and I would also recommending adding some mass to the back (top) of his head. There is a bit more hair on one side that is making his head look just a bit lopsided.

The face is quite well~rendered ~ good job! :thumbsup: I would say that the body now requires more attention, to bring it up to the rendering level of the face.

I think now that you have the basic figure down, it's a matter of fine~tuning values and making the rendering just right. You've done a great job so far, and look forward to your progress! :)

Loulu79,

ROFL, you've done a great job here!! :thumbsup: The face is excellent, and the body very good as well ~ I particularly like the way you've rendered his right lower arm ~ that, along with the face, are really excellently done! Your overall piece is very strong, and I like the contrast between the rough, chalkboard~texture of the background and the smoother texture of his skin ~ this is a nice juxtaposition, even if I feel the bkgrd texture could be toned down just slightly. I'm just noticing the way in which you rendered the nose, which is quite nice! Overall, I think you've just done a fantastic job, and hope that you will be joining us for OFDW 005, which kicks off Monday! :)

Crassisco,

Good to see your drawing! I like this one better than your first, and think you have been a bit more careful with the proportions here. I think the main thing I spot is that the lower legs could be a bit longer ~ right now, they seem a bit short with respect to the overall figure. However, I think you've gotten the balance of the pose quite nicely. Do you plan to do any interior rendering of the figure? Also, I hope you (and everyone) will join us for OFDW 005 ~ we have a great model, Ben, who has some very professional and inspiring shots which will be great for us here at the OFDWs! :)

Spirit Dreamer,

Still working on your review... ;)

Great stuff guys, and I look forward to seeing more of what you can do. :thumbsup:

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Loulu79
10-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Wow! I feel so queesy inside after what Rebeccak is telling me just a moment ago! (*sob**smile**)...I feel sooooo good. (lol)

Yeah...I wanna join in OFDW 005 on Monday...and I hope that this wedding I'm going to won't be a prob for me.

Cheers everybody...lov ya.:wavey:

Rebeccak
10-02-2005, 12:03 AM
Loulu79,

ROFL, you deserve it! You did a great job (much better than I did, lol!) :scream: so I am happy to give credit where credit is due. :) Plus, it's just fun to see all the awesome work you are doing. It's inspiring, as there's really no reward save the work itself and the participation here. Great stuff, and I hope to see more! :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
10-02-2005, 12:20 AM
Hi Rebecca and Everyone

Got in touch with my Science Fiction and Fantasy teacher from my days of art school in Boston. He is retired now but still keeps his fingers in it. In fact he's the one who told me about this site. He is an art critic and does movie reviews. His name is Bhob Stewart and lives in Massachusetts. He has been telling me for about a year to start working from photos on my figures to get more acuracy etc. So now that I've done a few I shoed them to him. He said they were excellent and was no doubt glad I took his advice.

He said, "That pose was somewhat similar to the great Robert McGinnis"
And he sent me this link:
http://www.mcginnispaintings.com/index.html (http://www.mcginnispaintings.com/index.html)
It is definitely worth a look-see. Some great stuff in there.

I was thinking I would like to see the models in the future in this forum posed in a setting with cloth, furniture etc., something similar to his set up. Would be a great learning experience and a challenge. People would end up with a painting that looks more like a finished painting, not just a figure study.
Just a thought for Rebecca as I am looking at this guy's work.
Take care and Enjoy!
Glenn

Rebeccak
10-02-2005, 12:31 AM
He said, "That pose was somewhat similar to the great Robert McGinnis"
And he sent me this link:
http://www.mcginnispaintings.com/index.html (http://www.mcginnispaintings.com/index.html)
It is definitely worth a look-see. Some great stuff in there.
Hey, the site is great, definitely a 70s kind of guy, but extremely talented to say the least. Thanks for sharing the link! :)

I was thinking I would like to see the models in the future in this forum posed in a setting with cloth, furniture etc., something similar to his set up. Would be a great learning experience and a challenge. People would end up with a painting that looks more like a finished painting, not just a figure study.
I agree, and actually not for the next OFDW, but for the one after that, we have some beautiful Vogue~type model set~ups which are courtesy of Mike/default.rol's girlfriend, Liang. Hong tells me he has also taken photos of clothed models as well. I am totally open to requests, and if you guys would like more variety in each of the OFDWs, say, one clothed, one nude (different models) then that is fine with me. Any leads on model resources is also welcome. :)

Thanks for the suggestions, Spirit Dreamer, and like I say, I am totally open to suggestions for what you guys want to do.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

Amerasu
10-02-2005, 03:13 PM
I agree, and actually not for the next OFDW, but for the one after that, we have some beautiful Vogue~type model set~ups which are courtesy of Mike/default.rol's girlfriend, Liang. Hong tells me he has also taken photos of clothed models as well. I am totally open to requests, and if you guys would like more variety in each of the OFDWs, say, one clothed, one nude (different models) then that is fine with me. Any leads on model resources is also welcome.

Just wanted to pipe in and say I agree with Spirit Dreamer. I would love to work on some figures draped in cloth, or lounging on furniture. Personally, I'd love to see nudes draped in satin or silk or a fabric with a real texture in sunlight or candlelight. That would be great. I asked my husband but he won't pose ;)

And while I'm here, I'll add some comments about the pics I can see in the reply preview :)

Loulu79 Lovely work! I like the depth you've achieved in this painting. I think it's really well rendered.

Comlock I like your sketches and I think you've captured the poses quite nicely though I do see some anatomy problems in the legs, specifically in the standing figure. Perhaps those legs are also a little short.

ericyeo Nice! I also like the depth in your painting and the style that you have. I agree with Rebecca though in that it would be nice to see the body match the face in the rendering. Really nice though :)

Kalorlo Good start so far though it appears that his lower body is a bit off?

Spirit Dreamer I absolutely love your lighting. It's so very warm and gentle and well done. Beautiful :)

Rebeccak
10-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I would love to work on some figures draped in cloth, or lounging on furniture. Personally, I'd love to see nudes draped in satin or silk or a fabric with a real texture in sunlight or candlelight. That would be great. I asked my husband but he won't pose ;)
These are great suggestions! :) I will see what I can do, though I have somewhat limited control as I am reliant on others' pictures. As I mentioned to Spirit Dreamer, I do have images of Mike's girlfriend, clothed, posed in model~settings which are quite beautiful. If you guys like, I can have for Monday's OFDW 1 of these pictures, plus 2 nude pictures of a great figure model I have lined up named Ben. What do you guys think? A mix of clothed and nude, as these images become available? :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
Hi Rebecca and everyone
Rebecca, your suggestion for one clothed etc. figure composition and two nudes sounds great to me, if it won't be too much of a burden on you. I think if everyone chips in with suggestions and advise while works are in progress, it should take some of the burden off of you. I think we should give it a try and just see what happens. Take it a day at a time kind of thing. And one thing will lead to another.
My science fiction and fantasy teacher gave me some advice at how to procede in this venture with photos, think everyone might benefit from it, here it is:

Do roughs. Shoot photos of models to match the poses in the roughs. Use photo reference in traditional ways to get a final pencil drawing, either by grid, by tracing or by projecting. Then scan that final pencil into computer file.

Finally remembered the artist that inpired me the most when I was in art school, besides Burne Hogarth. Couldn't think of his name but came to me last night before I fell asleep. Here is the link to his site:
http://fantasy.bratsk.net/ (http://fantasy.bratsk.net/)

I think if we all pool our imaginations together and create some little thumbnail compositions ahead of time, select the best ones and then have the model or modes get into what the compositions are, we could create really nice paintings. This is method suggested by my science fiction and fantasy teacher but taken a sstep further. Everyone should look at Boris's site. Will definitely stimulate everyone's imagination and who knows how many good ideas for this forum will come from it. Will definitely increase the possibilities.
If you like I will do some action poses with dramatic lighting along with thumbnail compositions to show you the method I am suggesting. Just trying to take this forum a step further. Let me know what you think
Glenn

Rebeccak
10-02-2005, 07:43 PM
I think if we all pool our imaginations together and create some little thumbnail compositions ahead of time, select the best ones and then have the model or modes get into what the compositions are, we could create really nice paintings. This is method suggested by my science fiction and fantasy teacher but taken a sstep further. Everyone should look at Boris's site. Will definitely stimulate everyone's imagination and who knows how many good ideas for this forum will come from it. Will definitely increase the possibilities.
If you like I will do some action poses with dramatic lighting along with thumbnail compositions to show you the method I am suggesting. Just trying to take this forum a step further. Let me know what you think.
Glenn / Spirit Dreamer,

I think these ideas are fantastic! I think the key things to consider are:

1. Quality of pictures. ~ I would like to try to only have high~quality images for the OFDWs. With everyone working so hard, the investment should be worth it.
2. Resolution of pictures. Pictures should be 300 dpi, so that people may print them.

So far, I have very few clothed model images, though I have contacted Hong about acquiring some (I believe he has taken several). Ben is an excellent nude model ~ we're not really short there. Perhaps he would consider doing requests? It would be completely up to him and his schedule.

I agree, compositional poses / studies are the next logical step ~ I've actually been thinking about this a great deal, as at one point, we all need to graduate from 'studies' to finished 'paintings'. :)

Thanks so much for the input Spirit Dreamer!

Additionally, your links prompted me to create the following thread:

Favorite Figurative Artists - Links (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282224)

If you could post your two links there, I think that would be great!

~Rebeccak

justmeina
10-03-2005, 02:09 AM
Ben is an excellent nude model ~ we're not really short there. Perhaps he would consider doing requests? It would be completely up to him and his schedule.I have done and will do requests. It generally takes me at least a few days, however, as I don't have an area always set-up for doing them. I've almost never done clothed ones (except one set for the contrast) as I've generally figured I could leave that to others who were perhaps intimidated by the nudity thing. I'd like to think I'm comfortable in my own skin and that that's a good thing, at least for me.

Rebeccak
10-03-2005, 02:14 AM
Ben,

That's AWESOME that you will take requests! I think if people maybe make certain requests a week or two in advance, that's plenty for us...that's great! Thanks for being willing to do this ~ in the meantime, we have plenty of your excellent pictures to choose from.

So, folks, if you have requests for poses, please make them! :)

Thanks, Ben!

~Rebeccak

Rebeccak
10-03-2005, 10:18 PM
Everyone,

Please be aware that

Now OPEN!!! Open Figure Drawing Workshop with Ben Miller, Liang Wang, Rebeccak 005!! (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282400&page=1&pp=15)

has now started. This OFDW 004 will remain open however, so folks are free to continue to post here. :)

Cheers, and thanks for all the hard work done so far for this OFDW 004! :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
10-04-2005, 12:32 AM
Hi Rebecca
Just playing while waiting for number five.
Experimenting with layers - I'm new to them
Discoved a setting called magic combine
Works great for placing figures without their
backgounds showing through
Thought I would mention it in case you
hadn't found it yet.
I am using Painter 8
Take Care
Glenn
PS Just saw the figures for 5. They look great

http://artbyglenngallegos.com/images/zhuzhu_combo-15.jpg

pushav
10-04-2005, 12:38 AM
Nice work! Are you gonna sell this in your store as a print.
(Lol nice plug huh?)

drawMonger
10-04-2005, 02:04 PM
Good one Spirit Dreamer :thumbsup:

Rebeccak
10-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Spirit Dreamer,

Lol...great to see you found a way to pass time constructively before OFDW 005 ~ :)

I'm not sure the composition works for me, but the idea is cool, and the hummingbirds are a nice touch! Also, thanks for that tip about Painter. I would encourage you to run a Painter Workshop, but that is totally up to you. :)

~Rebeccak

Top_Hat
10-04-2005, 03:18 PM
ok, so this is my attempt, it's also my very first post on these forums.
its not great but i thought i would post it anyway.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a120/top_hat111/fdw001.jpg

Rebeccak
10-04-2005, 09:15 PM
Top_Hat,

Great to see your work here ~ Welcome to the forum! :)

I don't think you have such a bad start here at all. :) However, be advised that we are currently on Open Figure Drawing Workshop 005 (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=282400), which I would strongly encourage you to join instead of working on this OFDW 004. :) The party has now moved to OFDW 005, and you are more than welcome to join us there. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
10-05-2005, 12:21 AM
DRAWMONGER: Thanks!

REBECCA: I started #5. Maybe post it tomorrow.
As far as teaching Painter I don't know too much about it myself,
plus Mrs. Spirit Dreamer doesn't have time to do the typing. :)

Glenn

Rebeccak
10-05-2005, 12:29 AM
REBECCA: I started #5. Maybe post it tomorrow.
Great! Can't wait to see what you've got cookin'. :) Also, my friend Hong Ly has requested some images for his website, http://www.characterdesigns.com/ ~ he's actually redoing it soon, and wants to put up images created from the Reference images which we used in the OFDWs. Would you be willing to have some of your work put on his site? You would of course get credit for it, and it's a nice way to get your work seen by a wider audience. :)

As far as teaching Painter I don't know too much about it myself,
plus Mrs. Spirit Dreamer doesn't have time to do the typing. :)
ROFL, gotcha! :) It's easy to forget I'm talking to 2 Spirit Dreamers, for the price of 1! :scream: We'll just have to make do with your cool art, then. :)

~Rebeccak

SpiritDreamer
10-05-2005, 12:56 AM
Rebecca:
OK - Sure on using the pictures...whatever Hong Ly wants is OK with me.
Cool.
If you need higher res images let me know
Mrs. Spirit Dreamer will fix them right up for us!
(she is also my computer guru, my web designer, my file formatter and down-loader and up-loader, definitely the better of our two halves...but she can't paint - ha ha :) )

Let me know what's up!
Glenn
:thumbsup:

Rebeccak
10-05-2005, 01:01 AM
Spirit Dreamers,

ROFL...In the next couple of weeks, I'll be going through the OFDWs and finding a bunch of really nice pieces (very hard to choose!!) and then asking folks if it's ok by them to post work on Hong's site. BTW, Hong mentioned that the model for OFDWs 001, 002, and I believe 003 has seen the work we've done from her images, and is really pleased. :) So that makes me happy. :)

Thanks for your permission, and I will definitely run it by you again before I submit images to Hong. :) BTW, do you want your real name or your username to be used with the images? Up to you.

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

pushav
10-05-2005, 01:06 AM
Spiritdreamewr-Did you use the acrylic brushes that I gave you on this piece?

SpiritDreamer
10-05-2005, 01:29 AM
Rebecca:

BTW, do you want your real name or your username to be used with the images? Up to you.

Real name for sure if any of my images are selected to use.
Glenn

Pushav:
Of course on the brushes - :) - I thought we were all required to use your brushes at all times!
Glenn

Rebeccak
10-05-2005, 01:37 AM
Real name for sure if any of my images are selected to use.
No problem. :)

Cheers,

~Rebeccak

pushav
10-05-2005, 01:53 AM
Spitirtdreamer-that is good news.:thumbsup: I wanted to make a brush that could withstand the test of time. LOL.

raptor|3D
10-06-2005, 05:41 PM
Hi,
I have had some time so Ive upgraded my WIP. Nothing great but I hope its better now. Thanks for previous comments, Ive tried to pay attention to these things. However I would like to know your opinion before I start shading.
Thanks.

This is my first WIP, just for comparison:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/raptor3D/OFDW-zhuzhu_WIP.jpg

and this is new version:

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b150/raptor3D/OFDW_zhuzhu_WIP_02.jpg

Rebeccak
10-06-2005, 07:18 PM
raptor|3D,

Good to see your update! I think that there are some noticeable improvements. :)

Books which I would recommend to anyone and which I will recommend to you are any by Burne Hogarth. He has a way of breaking down complex form into simple shapes that make it easy to understand.

Here is the link to Burne Hogarth's books. (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0823015521/102-9769046-1117768?v=glance&n=283155&n=507846&s=books&v=glance)

I think you have quite a nice line drawing here, but I think in areas, particularly the face, there is a bit of depth missing which I think Burne's books might help you to see.

Mike / default.rol has been posting Master Copies from his books on the Master Copies thread on pages 9 and 10 here (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=257446&page=9&pp=15). Check them out to get a sense of what Burne's drawings look like. :)

I think you should go ahead and start shading. But I think the thing which both you and Slux need to work on is loosening up a bit, and getting something of the gesture in your drawings. You are both technically really good, but you should try to give your drawings more of a sense of life by using more fluid and loose lines ~ not to say inaccurate lines, but lines which 'breathe'.

You are doing a great job ~ I look forward to seeing your update! :)

Cheers,

~Rebecca

raptor|3D
10-06-2005, 08:22 PM
Thanks, Rebecca.

This is the kind of comments I really need. Very informative and helpful.

>>But I think the thing which both you and Slux need to work on is loosening up a bit, and getting something of the gesture in your drawings. You are both technically really good, but you should try to give your drawings more of a sense of life by using more fluid and loose lines ~ not to say inaccurate lines, but lines which 'breathe'.<<

Yeah, I absolutely understand what you mean and I am not satisfied with my drawing. I can see that absence in my drawing(s). It looks too "syntetic". Actually it will be next step to improve my drawing skills to that level. When Im drawing I also feel that - no fluid lines, no breathe and therefore the process is not so entertaining like it should be.

Actually I am just not good at drawing at all, maybe some of my drawings may look good but this is nothing compared to drawings from really good artists. These also took pretty much time to draw (and this is another evidence that I draw too slow and without flow). I guess it will take some next hundreds of drawings to be able draw fluid lines but Ill try to jump in and try it in my next drawings.

Now Im earning money for new computer (for recently bought Maya) so I have almost no time to draw, but soon I want to start my self-study and I plan to draw as often as possible like Slux and many others here do now. Reminds me I could also start some anatomy thread - this is great option here.

I also want to jump in sculpting and 3D, so I cant wait to the moment when I will have necessary equipment and start doing this all artistic stuff. It will be fun.

See ya :)

Rebeccak
10-06-2005, 09:00 PM
raptor|3D,

I think it will be great to see you 'start' your artistic study in earnest! :)

I think a major way to learn to draw in a looser, more gestural fashion, is to do copies from Master Drawings...why reinvent the wheel? :) There is an abundant history to art which often gets ignored.

I hope to see more of your work! Congratulations on your new purchase of Maya ~ get it while you can. :D

~Rebeccak