PDA

View Full Version : LW and UV Maps for games...

R2D2
11-08-2002, 02:52 PM
For those of you who use LW for game development, what is your UV mapping workflow like? We're still trying to streamline our process here. As it stands, we're using Atlas mapping to break the character model up for the textures. Sometimes, the way that LW breaks the model up is a bit confusing for the texture artists. I want to have more control over the the model actually breaks up for the UV map, or maybe get it to work in a more logical way.

I'm just looking for suggestions so anything you've got would be welcome (within LW, Plugins, standalone apps, whatever). Thanks in advance. :)

Later,
R2

Mike RB
11-08-2002, 03:02 PM
we pretty much use this method:
http://www.menithings.com/How/TheFreak_01_UV/Freak_UV_01.html

It breaks down to manually flattening the mesh on a morph layer, then applying a planar uv map.

Mike

admir
11-08-2002, 05:01 PM
I usually assign parts for easy manipulation (arm, head...). Next is when mapping to rotate mesh parts for easier projections (like rotating arm so you can do planar or cylindrical projections on either axis. Main problem we encountered is stitches in mapping vs maping distortion. You have to make decision where to break mapping (usually in places not seen easily).
We use local morph (copy arm to another layer, rotate and adjust for easy UV projections, assign uv and "morph" it to oroginal position/rotation. UV edit Pro (by Dstorm) is also great (it features "camera mapping". Other than that there are usefull tools to snap, flip, rotate uv mapings.

Admir.
Head of art, Croteam
www.croteam.com

mav3rick
11-08-2002, 06:20 PM
nice to hear word or two from you admir:) keep on posting

Frankie
11-08-2002, 08:05 PM
Hey admir hows it going? I haven't spoken to you in a long while.

Ive always used the same techinque mike discribed, while Atlas mapping is usefull for less organic objects its often best to start from scratch with organic models. Dont forget the chequred pattern trick to see where streaching occours and to beable to gague the resolution of the skin.

I would like to try the UV edit Pro plugin sometime but I dont know much about it.

R2D2
11-08-2002, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the input! I haven't been to the LightWave site in a while and I found the exact tutorial that I needed, describing Croteam's UV mapping techniques. The endomorph/planarUV thing will definitely work for us.

Thanks again!
R2

CG.p
11-08-2002, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by admir
UV edit Pro (by Dstorm) is also great (it features "camera mapping".

Have you used the texture guide tool? It has camera mapping for uv creation. It would also allow you to shoot the axis of the tool down an arm or leg so you wouldn't have to rotate the mesh.

admir
11-08-2002, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by CG.p
Have you used the texture guide tool? It has camera mapping for uv creation. It would also allow you to shoot the axis of the tool down an arm or leg so you wouldn't have to rotate the mesh.

Texture guide is kinda pain to use. In UV Edit, rotate mesh and click Make UV, its done. You can work on selection or whole mesh, even change FOV so more of mesh is "seen" and less distorted when mapped.
Atlas maping is good if you want to match polygons' size with
their UV map size (for texture baking).

Frankie: finished SS:Xbox finally.. back to living :)

Admir

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 09:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.