PDA

View Full Version : Vray fur....grass

MikeBracken
09-18-2005, 09:40 PM
Hay everyone, been playing around with the Vray fur....and it makes great grass. Any one else using it for that? Its very realistic, and since it doesnt show in the viewport its easy to handle as well. Just curious if anyone else had tried it.

wmsmith
09-19-2005, 09:03 AM
How fast does vray render its fur? Whats the quality like? And im guessing this is a new addition to vRay for max 7 right?

CiaránMurphy
09-19-2005, 10:30 AM
Well the normal method for vray grass isn't fur, it's to use the displacement modifier. And it works very nicely too, but it does increase render time a bit and calculating the irradiance map can take many hours (I'd advise saving the files!!). I haven't used fur for grass (I will try it though when I get a chance). I normally do Arch viz scenes at around 3200x2400 and I'd love if you could set antialiasing and GI quality params on a per object basis. Grass doesn't need very good GI (as you'd guess) but you've got to use a one size fits all setting.

visualride
09-19-2005, 04:26 PM
MmikeE,

How much memory will a full lawn take up? Do you have any pictures to post? I used to use Digimations fur for grass in Max about 8 years ago that turned out perfect, but I don't think that fur system is still available.

percydaman
09-19-2005, 05:02 PM
using vray fur for grass is certainly viable. but its generating alot of objects and getting good irradiance sampling for animation is incredibly tough. it just takes too long to sample that much geometry. same thing for AA. With the upcoming 64bit vray and hopefully 3dmax, itll be much easier to handle.

MikeBracken
09-19-2005, 09:39 PM
That was a good point about the animation, Percy. But as far as stills are concerned, I had quite a bit of grass (fur) in my test scene and even a tree, and it rendered ,with GI ,in about 4 minutes. I even had very good AA settings. Ive used the scatter method for grass alot, and in my testing I think that the Vray fur looked more realistic. Of course that is just my opinion. Ill post some test renders as soon as I get a chance.(we are all so busy these days)In the mean time, please post any tests any of you do.

Thanks for the quick replies.

WMSmith.....The quality, I thought, was very nice. And yes, for Max 7.

Some earlier renders I did are here.........http://www.3dlinks.com/GalleryDisplay.cfm?artistid=4294......I just dont have time to post alot these days.

Rickmeister
09-20-2005, 02:29 PM
Vray Fur? never heard about that... Sounds cool though, does anyone have some renders? and perhaps a tutorial...

MikeBracken
09-20-2005, 09:36 PM
You can find it in the create panel : create > vray > vray fur. It is alot like scatter. You choose the object you want the "fur" on and then specify the different options. You can distribute it a couple of different ways ,such as by selected polys.

Hope this helps.

Rickmeister
09-21-2005, 11:40 AM
You can find it in the create panel : create > vray > vray fur. It is alot like scatter. You choose the object you want the "fur" on and then specify the different options. You can distribute it a couple of different ways ,such as by selected polys.

Hope this helps.

Hmm, do you need the latest version of vray for that? Here I habe 1.09... at home I've 1.47...

MikeBracken
09-23-2005, 02:29 AM
Not sure about 1.09...I use 1.47.
Good luck.

Rickmeister
09-23-2005, 06:41 AM
I figured it out with 1.47
still not sure of its possible with 1.09... but i don't care about that.

artisanfx
09-23-2005, 07:02 AM
can you show us any render of your gras you did ?

Rickmeister
09-25-2005, 07:32 AM
can you show us any render of your gras you did ?

like this

http://prutzels.lekkerleip.nl/66.jpg

petrolium
09-25-2005, 06:56 PM
I tend to use the now build in hair and fur for lawns, tried the vray fur when it just got implemented but the lack of material options turned me of a bit, and hair and fur really looks nice.Here a quick one from a project.

CiaránMurphy
09-25-2005, 10:53 PM
Here's a sample of the the vray displacement map method (I know it's not title of thread but it's an alternative) It's not as good around the edges as fur (no overhanging blades) but quite nice nonetheless. It has some good points though... because it's map based you can have noise at a micro level for displacement and use another map to create variance in tone/shading over a large distance.

artisanfx
09-25-2005, 11:06 PM
I can say just woow :)

there are really nice example of the Vray fur gras

thanks for posting all the examples :)

moocowfish
09-29-2005, 09:53 PM
Hi everyone, nice examples of grass !!!

Can anyone tell me how to get the vray fur to take on the material that the object is.
ie: if i assign a difuse material to my object, say the checker, then put vray fur, the fur should go black and white? in the areas where the checker is. Mine does not, it always stays the colour of the wireframe?
this is very confusing to me?
please help if you can.
thanks
Rob

petrolium
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
Make shure you tick the " generate W-coordinate" in the Vray grass propertys, then add the material to the grass object, your grass shouldt now have the same checker map as the ground object.
If you want to work with the grass in the length direction, your map has to be set to VW to work propperly.
Ive added a gradient to the grass, set it to work in VW, made the colorslot 1 red, 2 and 3 are green.
Hope it helps
Peter

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2005, 06:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.