PDA

View Full Version : Trompe l'oeil painting..finally finished!

Ancient-Pig
02-24-2002, 12:04 PM
Sup all. Although I know this isn't CG art, it still relates to the 3d creation process in certain ways. For one, the level of realism most people try to acheive in their work....

Anyhow, this is an acrylic on masonite painting. It measures 2 feet by 3 feet, and took about 400 hours to complete. Have a go at it, and let me know what you think.

This is only taken with my digital camera..it made it a little more yellow then normal. I'm going to have a photographer take some snaps of this in the future...

http://www.ancient-pig.com/pic7.jpg

and a detail of the nail head(s)

http://www.ancient-pig.com/pic6.jpg

and a pic of the staples..one area at least

http://www.ancient-pig.com/pic3.jpg

JoBbE
02-24-2002, 05:33 PM
wew is all this painted? all the nails and stuff? it looks soo real!
keep it up!

edit: something came to my mind: there seems to be some shadow missing.. have a look at the 2 large rings, both rings don't drop shadows at their upper left side.... looks somehow odd... but anyways the picture is great

Ancient-Pig
02-25-2002, 02:18 AM
Are you referring to how the shadows are slightly tilted? I had the model set so the light wasn't coming driectly from above, but from above, a little forward, and to the side

I actually forgot to make one soft shadow from the top of the middle ring. I finished it and will get a pic up here soon

NANONEEN
02-25-2002, 06:26 PM
really astonished!
especially the staple, look realistic
how do you work?
I've you made the same with real material to copy it?

Ancient-Pig
02-26-2002, 09:14 PM
Thanks Nanoneen. How do I work? With a quad-zero brush and reaaaaal slow. hehe, actually most of the work on there was done with an 8 round.

For this painting, I didn't fabricate a direct model. I went and bought a whole dart board, and have lots of wood for reference lying around my eisel (err..had lots of wood. It's all gone now). I also have a board with about 50 staples and nails stuck into it; bent into different 'positions' to use as a reference.

Painting in this style is pretty much the same methodology as painting in other styles. You go from 'macro' to 'micro'. That is, you roughly block in the entire painting with your warms and cools...darks and lights...compliemtns...etc...until the effect is gotten. Then go in and work out the detail..

Anyhow, glad you enjoy it. Once I get professional photos taken of it Ill slap it up here again. Theres lots of color being missed out on because of the poor lighting, photography, etc...for instance, the 'black' rings are really anything but that...I used muted blues, pinks, oranges, greens, yellows, and magentas...anyhow...

Matches14
02-27-2002, 01:08 AM
I dont know why the hell you painted this but I LOVE IT!! I think it's very original and realistic(no kidding). Great job

Pedro
02-27-2002, 02:16 AM
I like this painting a lot. The details do look quite realistic, even tho as mentioned above, they do have some minor flaws in the shadowing when inspected closely.

What exactly is it? I mean, what was your purpose when you painted it? Does it have a meaning, or were you just experimenting with the visual effect?

In all, I think it is incredibly cool, you should post more of your work. How long have you been painting?

Ancient-Pig
02-27-2002, 03:42 AM
Matches14...thats the question I was asking the whole time I was doing it...'why the hell am I doing this.' hehe..glad ya like it

Pedro...yeah, its weird how de-sensetized to work you can get when looking at it face to face for so long. It actually took me posting on here to realize the shadow problem. One of the problems is inside the rings, theres should be a minor over shadow...not sharp, but kind of fuzzy.

Thats actually been fixed, and these pictures are before I fixed it. I'd snap some new photos, but it's in the frame shop for a couple weeks.

The main message behind the painting is about being trapped. I'm in college right now, but got held out of a begninning photo class which set me back for a whole year due to when it's bein offered. Although thats a very specific example, the general message for it is being trapped and not being able to get out.

http://www.Ancient-Pig.com

is where some more of my work is...check it out if youd like. Not the best site in the world, but its functional :)

Thanks for the compliments guys..now I have time to work on my animation with this painting out of the way..

Lensman888
02-27-2002, 05:36 AM
Only 400 hours? - What - were you sleeping on the job?! Kidding. Absolutely amazing technically, but as one or two others have pointed out, I'm not sure why you painted it other than for experience. Truly terrific, though. Don't give up the "real thing" if you ever go digital.

element412
02-28-2002, 08:15 AM
beacause this is atcually painted with acrylic, id say ....''freaking awesome job'' (i cant express thay in english) nway this paint is tahcniclhy perfect and for the size iut ahve the level detaiol is incredible.had u a reference model?

Ancient-Pig
02-28-2002, 08:40 AM
Lensman...

thanks :) With that out of the way, I get to go back to my animating. Although I love doing CG stuff, I also love engaging in the more traditional art....chances of me giving that up are about even with my chances for giving up on CG..ZERO :)

element...

thanks :) Every time I look at the photos I posted, I get this chill...they are awful photos. they darkened it way out..theres a lot of color, even in the 'black' rings (magenta, blues, yellows, greens, pinks), which don't show up very well because of the lighting and the camera (digital). I'm going to have a professional take some shots after it's done being framed, and I'll slap them up on here.

As for setting up a model to work from...I have a lot of wood (had) lying around my eisel to use as inspiration and reference. Went and bought a dartboard to have a direct reference for the cork'ish texture (which doesnt show up well in these photos..glares..etc..). I have a board with a lot of staples and nails in it as well....I have a harder time working from photos because of the amount of translation which has already occured. In the translation, quality seems to be lost...so I prefer to work from life.

Thanks guys :)

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 02:00 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.