PDA

View Full Version : pirate

paul-banister
09-18-2005, 07:28 PM
been working on this today,not exactly original but thought it would be a challenge to model a chunky/muscly character and make him a pirate.was going to have a go at the usual 'black beard' style character but decided it would be more interesting to go along the lines of one of the crew,..swabbing the decks n generally being the muscle when needed.

body parts arent connected yet because ive been working on the areas seperetely then i'll connect them up,incase anyone mentions them...the feet are just placeholders!.
c&c very welcome,thanks.

FerdiWillemse
09-18-2005, 07:40 PM
That is VERY cool, willy! I'm currently busy with a female pirate too.
Keep up the good work!

paul-banister
09-20-2005, 09:43 PM
FeRdI:thanks.
tidied up the mesh a bit,kinda got ahead of myself with muscle details before i had properly got the form down,its simpler looking but better now i think.
crits and comments much appreciated.

paul-banister
09-21-2005, 04:22 PM
bit more progress,still needs belt,'head hankerchief thingy'??? and gotta work on his mouth more.trying to keep around 3000tri count,im at 2702 at the moment.

TheRedemption
09-21-2005, 09:18 PM
im not sure on this but it looks like he has a giant hole in his neck/upper chest...is that supposed to be there? or are you redoing the neck and stuff?

FerdiWillemse
09-21-2005, 11:00 PM
Nice, willy! Is he going to have his belt back? :)

paul-banister
09-22-2005, 12:20 AM
TheRedemption:yeah,you aint seeing things,still gotta work out that area.
FeRdI:thanks,belt is coming back,took it out while i shaped the waist area.

paul-banister
09-22-2005, 11:21 PM
after reading a comment on 'cg chat' about liking original arm mesh compared to the simpler 'grid like' mesh on my model at the moment i decided to re-use that original arm mesh and with the exception of a few areas needing tidied up im much happier with it.having probs with area where bottom of bicep meets elbow join!!(ive attached image)
before i made the new changes i slightly altered a few polys on his left arm and rotated them to get it into a more natural position.his right arm is more similar to original mesh albeit with a few alterations,still working on it and need to tidy the mesh slightly,but im happier with how it looks and hopefully it will deform nicely and cause no texture probs.
c and c very welcome,thanks.

FerdiWillemse
09-23-2005, 10:21 AM
Coming along nicely! I definently like the muscle definition more than a straight arm. Try putting bones in the arm now, to see what it does to your muscles when it's bent.
edit: oh... of course, you already did :wise:... excuse me, I just woke up :p

I'll keep an eye out on your progress, I really like it!

paul-banister
09-25-2005, 01:59 AM
just a quick update,gotta add second tail bit of 'hankerchief thingy' and do a better version of the belt hes wearing.not 100% happy with his face but once ive got rest of him sorted i'll come back to it.

c & c very welcome.

paul-banister
09-25-2005, 12:59 PM
made him more 'dentally challenged'.

paul-banister
09-25-2005, 07:47 PM
apart from optimizing,this is ready for rigging/texturing etc,gonna build some props for him first thou.tri count is a little higher than i wanted but i can shave some of them off.
c & c much appreciated,thanks.
oh yeah,before i forget,the strap on his right leg will be for his dagger.

Headless
09-25-2005, 11:08 PM
This is coming along nicely. Good stuff. :)

By the way, you don't have a brother called Richard do you?

paul-banister
09-26-2005, 12:08 AM
Headless:thanks.nah no bro called richard.

Headless
09-26-2005, 09:31 PM
Ah, k. I just did CG stuff at uni (in the UK), with a guy called Rich Banister.

But anyway, back on topic. :)

paul-banister
10-02-2005, 01:51 AM
update,got him fully rigged with ik on both legs and arms,all done with weight maps,deforms pretty good.built some props that he could interact with and then thought he might aswell be on a pirate ship so got that in progress at the mo'.im not gonna make the whole ship,the area you see on the pic is as much as im gonna model...just wanted a hint of an environment for this character for my showreel.still got a few more bits to add n barrels to be moved etc,really want to texture the pirate and the ship but its gonna have to wait untill i get my tablet sorted out!!!.
crits and comments much appreciated.

paul-banister
05-28-2006, 11:55 PM
texturing kinda got put on the back burner while i did my dino and viking characters,but made a start now,still early wip.ignore some geometry gaps,didnt triple model before i took the screengrabs! c and c much appreciated,thanks.

paul-banister
05-29-2006, 08:39 AM
made some changes to the skin tones(face only at the moment),any better?

Por@szek
05-29-2006, 10:59 AM
Nice to see U working on something new ;) I was missing your texture work :P
If its a pirate, maybe scars, some golden tooth, or bandages will give him more realism. Some dirt on face, cos' they didn't wash them selfs too often as I heard :D . And one more, they were spending a lot time on the board, so sun, wind and sea water makes their skin dark, almost origin indians. Like me after spending too much time on the beach :rolleyes:

Hope it helps.

paul-banister
05-29-2006, 12:20 PM
Por@szek: thanks,all good ideas,once ive nailed the texture base down i'll add hair,dirt scars etc.
just been working more on the tones of the skin.
c and c much appreciated,thanks.

mindrot
05-29-2006, 12:53 PM
Nice work on the texturing free-willy.

~M~

paul-banister
06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
mindrot:thanks :)

just an update,nearly finished'ish'.

LOOM
06-09-2006, 04:27 AM
i really like the style goin on here :)

keep it going man

dpizzle
06-09-2006, 05:24 AM
looking good
i'm liking your painting style

jfalconer
06-09-2006, 06:43 AM
I like it, especially the texture which is looking good. But I feel that today we can handle 5 fingers/toes.

paul-banister
06-12-2006, 11:55 PM
LOOM: thanks :)
dpizzle: thanks :)
jfalconer: thanks :),yeah,..i should of added the extra fingers and toes,i was trying to keep the poly count down and i figured losing a few digits wouldnt be a prob.

little update,tidied up some areas i wasnt happy with,been adding extra detail to his skin etc.still gotta dirty him up more then finish the bandage and keys,after that he should be just about done :).c and c much appreciated,...thanks.

dpizzle
06-13-2006, 02:32 AM
dude that nipple piercing looks painful!

how's that body paint application? fairly easy to use?

paul-banister
06-18-2006, 03:58 PM
dpizzle:sorry for late reply.damn right it looks painfull :).bodypaint is easy to use.someone mentioned it before that its like photoshop but in 3d,thats kinda accurate.biggest problem ive got with it is theres no ''change colour balance'' like weve got in photoshop,other than that its amazing,and its got me texturing...finally :)

going to call this finished unless theres anything that desperately needs changing or added to the texture,just gotta correct the rig and pose him up now.

c and c much appreciated,thanks.

dpizzle
06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
looks great dude

:thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
06-18-2006, 06:06 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.